31 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
35 - Sean Smith, CB/S
36 - Larry English, DE/OLB
37 - William Beatty, OT
46 - Donald Brown, RB
48 - Jarron Gilbert, DE
60 - Hakeem Nicks, WR
64 - Jamon Meredith, OT

Their most questionable 1st round pick is Philip Loadholt going #28 to the Eagles, which makes no sense (they need a LT more than a RT). In the 2nd round, I see no William Moore or Patrick Chung.

For the Pats, a draft of Barwin-Delmas-Gilbert-Nicks sounds very nice. Or Barwin-Beatty-Delmas-Nicks, and then trade up in the 3rd for Moore or Chung, or get Chip Vaughn.

That would be one awful draft. I would be very disappointed. Barwin is a reach, Delmas is a reach and who the hell is Allen? Conner Barwin = Zak DeOssie. I'm not saying Barwin isn't any good, I'm saying that Barwin is one of the workout warrior-mega hype guys that slips into the middle rounds. However, DeOssie was projected to go into the middle rounds.

Last edited:
That would be one awful draft. I would be very disappointed. Barwin is a reach, Delmas is a reach and who the hell is Allen? Conner Barwin = Zak DeOssie. I'm not saying Barwin isn't any good, I'm saying that Barwin is one of the workout warrior-mega hype guys that slips into the middle rounds. However, DeOssie was projected to go into the middle rounds.

I predict 200 pages

I wouldnt be surprised if the pats took Barwin at 34, id be shocked if they take him with the 23rd too much risk and unknown. I too would be disapointed.

We can do better than that. But if it falls that way, it's not an awful draft.

How credible is a mock that has Nicks going at # 60 ??

Wow I like this draft a lot. Not sure Asher is smart enough to work in a BB defense, but he has quick twitch and some ball skills.

Levitre is nasty and I would be very happy with him moved inside to OG.

How credible is a mock that has Nicks going at # 60 ??

That is low but I've seen on numerous sites that he is sliding.

i am sick of connor barwin already. ugh

You'll be even sicker if Miami drafts him.
eat-drink-smiley-7838.gif

How is Delmas, the top rated safety, a reach at 34?

As for Barwin = Zak DeOssie, not sure how you figure that one when they play different positions entirely. Also, Barwin isn't a workout warrior. Barwin has been thought of as a 2nd rounder for most of the later half of the college season and through the bowl games. You thinking otherwise is a misconception on your part.

Asher Allen is a CB who is projected as a 3rd round CB. As Ochmed pointed out, he's got very good quick twich and agility, but he's light in brain power and I don't think he'd make it on the Patriots..

The chance of us taking him at #23 is very small. IMO it's almost a lock we take someone like Butler, Moreno, Maualuga who has played at a high level over a lengthy (3 years) period of time at the same position. I know I'll get yelled at for not sucking up to the Barwin lovers but it doesn't fit with previous Patriot #1 picks under Belichick. 2nd round where we tend to reach for athleticism more, I could see that. #23 ? I would be shocked.

I'm nowhere near as high on Barwin as some, but this scenario would actually give 2 of my favourite players in the draft (Delmas, Levitre), so I wouldn't be complaining too hard.

I hadn't hear that Allen was short in the smarts department; is this based on wonderlic score, scouting reports, interviews? Not doubting, it's just not something I'd heard. That aside, he certainly is the sort of CB they seem to like.

The chance of us taking him at #23 is very small. IMO it's almost a lock we take someone like Butler, Moreno, Maualuga who has played at a high level over a lengthy (3 years) period of time at the same position. I know I'll get yelled at for not sucking up to the Barwin lovers but it doesn't fit with previous Patriot #1 picks under Belichick. 2nd round where we tend to reach for athleticism more, I could see that. #23 ? I would be shocked.

I'm not a Barwin-nite at 23 but I am at 34. But I ask you this? If BB and the Pats picked him at 23, would you be enthuised knowing that the Patriots think so highly of him? I'd have to admit, I would be very excited knowing they have the confidence in themselves and Connor Barwin to hopefully be an elite player someday.

I would feel the same way if they drafted Rey Maualuga or any other LB for that matter.

I'm not a Barwin-nite at 23 but I am at 34. But I ask you this? If BB and the Pats picked him at 23, would you be enthuised knowing that the Patriots think so highly of him?
Yeah, I've said before that if they take him that high they obviously think the numbers are real - but one year of tape at DE and changing positions makes it highly unlikely IMO. Butler and 23 and English at 34 is a more likely type of scenario for me.

People think Connor Barwin is either "a workout warrior"/"all hype"/"More of an athlete than a football player" until they actually see him play. A fascinating ancillary note to this is that people who knock him as a reach at #23 would be discussing the validity of trading into the top 10 if he was projected there by the so called experts.

Still offering the open invite for someone to write something that is actually substantive enough to persuade the knowledgeable members into changing their minds of a player. I'll make a donation to bread of life in the name of whomever can do it.

Last edited:
People think Connor Barwin is either "a workout warrior"/"all hype"/"More of an athlete than a football player" until they actually see him play. A fascinating ancillary note to this is that people who knock him as a reach at #23 would be discussing the validity of trading into the top 10 if he was projected there by the so called experts.
I wouldn't. I'm not going to argue his virtues with you as I've rarely seen him play - but I do know that Belichick has never drafted a guy with one year's experience at his position in the first round, he has taken proven, long term starters with lots of film on them and multiple seasons for college opponents to prepare for him, adjust to him and take him more seriously than they likely took Barwin last year. He may be great but our history of #1 picks doesn't include players like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST