PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

21 points allowed in fourth Q...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that actually bothered me were the conversions on 3-15 and 3-12. Brought back some bad memories.

This defense has been collapsing since 2005. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Or maybe Belichick didn't want to give out his whole hand before going into the playoffs?

Here in the DFW area, we got the game - at least that's what it appeared to me.

I saw something during the fourth quarter, the defense stopped bringing pressure. I don't know why, but they changed dramatically from what they were doing after Houston scored in the first quarter. BB would not have mind a win here, but I think he came out of this knowing and experimenting with a lot of new stuff. Some here will be back tracking like a rocket put in reverse gear come playoffs.

Last edited:
I saw something during the fourth quarter, the defense stopped bringing pressure. I don't know why, but they changed dramatically from what they were doing after Houston scored in the first quarter. BB would not have mind a win here, but I think he came out of this knowing and experimenting with a lot of new stuff. Some here will be back tracking like a rocket put in reverse gear come playoffs.

I agree, this collapse was different then the others. Pehaps cuz I saw it coming. :rolleyes: It was painful to watch, but watching the middle get gashed like that won't happen with W & W in there. Plus Wilhite gave up about 150 yds by himself. I'd like to think Bodden makes a difference.

I'm a little more concerned that the offensive predictability crept back in this game.

....and only 7 points scored by the offense in the entire second half.
Brady's 2 4th quarter possessions went 3 and out and an INT. Sounds like a broken road game record doesn't it??
Been there done that over and over again this season.

Re: Defining stats for the season

Yes, this we all have witnessed all year.

But the huge question is... why?

What precisely is the reason for our consistent late-game collapses?

Conditioning? Is our D simply getting worn out? Are all of our young players simply unable to last a whole game right now?

Is it Brady? How are his personal stats in 4th quarter? Something in his head? Something in the coaches heads?

Why this sudden massive shift to late collapse?
It comes from a variety of factors, the most important being the inability to get after the QB. Our best pass rusher is Tully whom most thought would be at best a part-timer and a special teams guy.

Stop and think about that. We have little to no edge pass rush. We don't have linemen--Seymour did it for us on occasion in recent years when he wasn't injured--who can collapse the pocket.

We can't bring pressure with just four guys. That's the difference with this defense and in years past. Remember what Vrabel used to do in big games? Or the safety blitz by Harrison? That's gone, long gone.

And the guy we picked up from Oakland is an obvious disappoint. When the physical skills begin to deteriorate it's downhill fast when the game's played at this level.

It's ironic we gave up on Vrabel, understandably to save money, and ended up picking up a guy at the same position whose physical ability is arguably no better. I mean I can't even remember the guy's name, he's a non-factor. Derrick Burgess.

Thirty-five tackles and five sacks, two in the last three games. He works hard but he's not a disruptive force we were hoping for.

This defense has been collapsing since 2005. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Honestly, the D also collapsed in the 2001 & 2003 SBs. The only difference is the offense bailed them out. Playing defense at the end of the game isn't easy for any defense.

But frankly, yesterday's defensive collapse was as much the offense's fault. Granted, even if Brady doesn't throw that pick and we punt, the Texans probably come down and score either way.

Last edited:
I'm a little more concerned that the offensive predictability crept back in this game.

Was intentional for this particular game. They could have gone for a time killing drive and just hit a FG, but why waste such energy. And don't ask my why, but I feel BB thinks the running game is more susceptible to injuries than the passing game, so in a meaningless game, he was not going to risk his OL.
I also have a feeling we are going to see, dirt in the face football come playoffs, we will get physical, we will take teams by surprise.

Last edited:
I'm not losing any sleep over the result of this game. The truth is Warren and Wilfork were out, the texans scored their second TD when Hoyer was backed up in his own end zone, our offense was greatly tested by the loss of Welker (pass, sort of) and the shuffling at QB (I'm still not completely sure what Belichick was doing), which threw off their rhythm. Yes, some of the old issues flared up again, but this is a team that needs to be constantly tested to succeed.

I posted it in it's own thread but it deserves mention here. Dean Pees was taken to the hospital in Houston late in the third quarter yesterday because he was experiencing some shortness of breath. He was kept overnight for tests and observation but has been cleared to return to Boston which he is presently doing.

Context...

Theoretically, we allowed a lot more points than that. Our saving grace was the Texas kicker who forgot what the uprights were for.

I posted it in it's own thread but it deserves mention here. Dean Pees was taken to the hospital in Houston late in the third quarter yesterday because he was experiencing some shortness of breath. He was kept overnight for tests and observation but has been cleared to return to Boston which he is presently doing.

Context...

I would assume your defensive play caller being out would affect how the call the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST