PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Rosengarten got selected KC traded up and took Kingsley with the very next pick. That's what we should've done.
Why?

Why not trade up if that was the guy you wanted?

Hey, I’m not sure they didn’t get the three guys they wanted with their picks. My question is really wondering whether there are many players left who will upgrade what they already have.

Because teams traded up and got players who look like upgrades.

I think Plan A is for him to be the Left Tackle. Plan B if he doesn’t transition effectively is for him to be the Right Tackle and then move Onwenu back to Right Guard. You’d still have a question mark at LT but the other four OL spots SHOULD be pretty good and have depth in that situation.

Sow, as a rookie, was very good last year. Having a backup plan to bench Sow, who might be on track to be special, makes no sense to me. I don't think this is right.

Yeah it's really not worth going crazy over a third round pick. We drafted for need and unfortunately our needs were positions that got savaged early on in the draft.

Then draft BPA. It is a better long term strategy.

That’s what got me - the staying put. They’ve got a thick roster now. Move up, take some chances.

They should have 5 guys picked by now. They don’t need eight draftees.
Bill once picked only 4 players in one draft. It failed and helped to weaken the franchise. I’d rather pick more players, but that’s just me.

I miss those days. Half of these “fans” sitting in these Team sections act as if they never been to a pro game much less seen a college game and got picked through some lottery set up by their local grocery store !!! :)
About 15 years ago when it was at Radio City Music Hall, you had to wait on line for 6 hours to get those bracelets to get in the next day. If you went the second day ( Sunday then) they gave you a ticket for next year. On Sunday they would ask everyone to sit together so TV would make it look like there more people when they were lucky to get 200 people. My son got called up on stage for some trivia contest and the Washington TE who was helping announce gave him the answers so he could collect some swag....
Another thing I noticed was that a TV monitor would flash the pick for the talking heads before it was announced so they could pretend to say team may pick play A, B or C when they already knew player B was the pick....
And when the TV cameras shut off, you found out who was nice and who was an a**hole. Schwabie from ESPN's stump the Schwabie was abused by a certain unnamed female host, " Tell Schwabie to get his g d ass over here with those f'n stats right now". Wow, that went on the whole day, not just one isolated incident that could be chalked up to stress....

Bill once picked only 4 players in one draft. It failed and helped to weaken the franchise. I’d rather pick more players, but that’s just me.
Really? The highest pick in that draft was 15 picks lower than the last pick the Pats took yesterday - #83.

After the run in round 1, there were some great D prospects sitting there. A little wheeling and dealing maybe gets the same guys we picked plus a top 5 CB or DT prospect.

I’m not slagging on anyone they picked. I liked Polk a lot - my trade down mocks(which would have been disastrous because they involved Penix!) brought smiles when Polk was still there.

Don’t know the tackle, but all that means is that I don’t know the tackle. Never heard of Sidy Sow last year and I love the guy now.

It’s just that everything we’ve seen in FA, no-trades, and now the draft seems…really safe.

Really? The highest pick in that draft was 15 picks lower than the last pick the Pats took yesterday - #83.

After the run in round 1, there were some great D prospects sitting there. A little wheeling and dealing maybe gets the same guys we picked plus a top 5 CB or DT prospect.

I’m not slagging on anyone they picked. I liked Polk a lot - my trade down mocks(which would have been disastrous because they involved Penix!) brought smiles when Polk was still there.

Don’t know the tackle, but all that means is that I don’t know the tackle. Never heard of Sidy Sow last year and I love the guy now.

It’s just that everything we’ve seen in FA, no-trades, and now the draft seems…really safe.
BB diluted those assets that year. Garcia’s illness and Rivers’ injury made it even worse. The entire draft consisted of McDermott and Wise. Yikes!

In his column today, Bedard in part blames Bill leaving the cupboard bare, leading to the Pats taking a Packer approach. They certainly need a big talent infusion on offense, which made me want to trade down to garner more picks.

Sow, as a rookie, was very good last year. Having a backup plan to bench Sow, who might be on track to be special, makes no sense to me. I don't think this is right.
My presumption in that case was that Sow would play left guard while Strange is getting healthy. But truthfully I don’t know if Sow would be as effective on the left.

Reactions: Ian
About 15 years ago when it was at Radio City Music Hall, you had to wait on line for 6 hours to get those bracelets to get in the next day. If you went the second day ( Sunday then) they gave you a ticket for next year. On Sunday they would ask everyone to sit together so TV would make it look like there more people when they were lucky to get 200 people. My son got called up on stage for some trivia contest and the Washington TE who was helping announce gave him the answers so he could collect some swag....
Another thing I noticed was that a TV monitor would flash the pick for the talking heads before it was announced so they could pretend to say team may pick play A, B or C when they already knew player B was the pick....
And when the TV cameras shut off, you found out who was nice and who was an a**hole. Schwabie from ESPN's stump the Schwabie was abused by a certain unnamed female host, " Tell Schwabie to get his g d ass over here with those f'n stats right now". Wow, that went on the whole day, not just one isolated incident that could be chalked up to stress....
Wow that’s incredible insight. Back in the 80s -90s it used to be broadcast on the radio. Out of Buffalo I believe ? Started off just the first round. Then they would do 3 the next few years until it evolved to what it is now. I get what they wanna do, just overkill in my books. Makes me not really want to watch it. Oh to be 15 years younger ha, must have been an incredible experience thou? How many years did you make it to the draft ?

BB diluted those assets that year. Garcia’s illness and Rivers’ injury made it even worse. The entire draft consisted of McDermott and Wise. Yikes!

In his column today, Bedard in part blames Bill leaving the cupboard bare, leading to the Pats taking a Packer approach. They certainly need a big talent infusion on offense, which made me want to trade down to garner more picks.
Interesting take. And by no means want to send this down another Rabbit hole. The Pats resigned most if Bills picks. Had Mac been better, he would have still been here. Trading down from 3 with Min would have garnered 3 first round picks. So in essence that pick alone has doomed us for a spell. I’m hoping Maye will prove different, but I was hoping we trade down in the first as well. Try fill the team with not the highest pick possible, but with many of the highest graded players available.

I much prefer BPA. In the long run that wins championships. Passing on Kool-aid or DeJean in R2 was foolish.
Can't disagree with you there. I do wonder if they've identified their guy in Decamerion Richardson, as he was one of only 2 CB Top 30 visits. I'm guessing he's going in the 4th. I like his measurables a lot, especially at that height (6'2.2", 188lbs, 1.53 10, 4.34 10, 6.96 3cone; 10.75 +2.5w 100m, 21.63 +1.8w 200m in HS). No INTs in his career, though. Seems like a decently smart kid that may be amenable to good coaching, which the Pats certainly have, defensively.

No more 4.64 CBs - they're supposed to be the fastest players on the field and it's almost impossible to fix slow. At least Myles Bryant had a ton of agility to go with unfast straight-line, similar to what the 2nd Top 30 (probably UDFA Rico Payton) has.

I can say this in the offseason: another tank season for another high 1st and 2nd would be very helpful for the long run. When the actual games are played, however, I'd want them to win every one they can.

Interesting take. And by no means want to send this down another Rabbit hole. The Pats resigned most if Bills picks. Had Mac been better, he would have still been here. Trading down from 3 with Min would have garnered 3 first round picks. So in essence that pick alone has doomed us for a spell. I’m hoping Maye will prove different, but I was hoping we trade down in the first as well. Try fill the team with not the highest pick possible, but with many of the highest graded players available.
I would've liked for them to take that approach, as well, but in retrospect, I'm not sure any of the Top 6 QBs would've been there at 11 if they'd stayed Pat after a trade down. Sounds like they understandably have zero confidence in their current QBs in the long run.

I would've liked for them to take that approach, as well, but in retrospect, I'm not sure any of the Top 6 QBs would've been there at 11 if they'd stayed Pat after a trade down. Sounds like they understandably have zero confidence in their current QBs in the long run.
I believe picking at 3 is bigger burden than most of us fans can imagine. It’s career ending for front office guys probly more than half the time picking so high. The game has changed so much. Not so much what’s on the field, but in the stands. Win today. At all costs. War of attrition. And I agree in retrospect the Pats would not have had their 2025 qb if they traded down, but on the other hand we still don’t know 100% if we have our 2025 qb yet either.. Time will tell

Why is it that's we're pretending Eliot Wolf hasn't been director of scouting since 2022? People really believe Belichick just made every single pick without talking to anyone?

I'm glad he picked a couple of nice players in Green Bay - he also had an incredible whiff%, and they never won **** while he was there.

??

Uh, you mean the draft where the league took away draft picks for Deflategate and we traded a 1st rounder for a #1 receiver?

This is excuse making.

The current personnel guys were in an optimum position to bring in talent. The top of every round. They weren't picking 30th every round. There's a world of difference between #68 and #96. There just is.

They needed to bring in 3 of the best 70 players in college football. They failed to do that with the selection of Wallace.

They needed to bring in 2 of the best 35 players in college football. They failed to do that with the selection of Polk.

So far, this is a failure on them. They needed difference makers yesterday. They needed to swing for the kinds of guys who become All-Pros and Pro Bowlers. They didn't do that.

Ian - For the Polk/Wallace Combination to turn out to be better, Polk need to be bust 1000 yards and 7TDs every year, Wallace needs to allow 4 or less sacks each year, Cooper Dejean needs to get torched regularly and Adegadjie needs to be out after 2 years. I just don't see that happening.

Maybe Wallace proves me wrong and becomes an above average to good LT. But he only took a few snaps at LT in college. All his starts are a RT. And that shift isn't an easy one.. We've seen that. We've been told that by Dante. We saw that Lowe couldn't make the shift last year from LT to RT.

We've got Lowe, Anderson, McDermott, Okorafor and Wallace vying for LT. We got Okorafor, McDermott, Steurber, Wheatley, and hopefully only as a last resort, Onwenu, at RT.

G: With Strange out for Mini-camp, the Pats are going to have Mafi, Sow, J. Andrews, Leverett, and Jordan. Plus possibly Steuber and McDermott taking snaps inside. Leverett and J. Andrews will also be seeing snaps at OC behind D. Andrews

The only constant the Pats have on the O-line right now is the slightly above average Dave Andrews (yes, Andrews has slipped). He got torched on delayed blitzes even more last year. I guess that is what worries me the most about the O-line. D.Andrews can still make the line calls and is an excellent leader, but his time is coming to an end, I think..

Yes. Only time will tell, but on paper, it looks pretty bad and a lot of wishful thinking because of Maye and Wallace having their warts.
Polk must have gotten a big vote of confidence from Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back