PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION 2023 Conference Championship Games discussion thread

If he doesn’t win it all this season; he stays behind Montana for now. However, it’s just a matter of when he passes Montana, not if
It's very definitely a matter of if, every year is different. Who would've thought in 2004 the patriots would go 10 years before winning the next one?

Winning Super Bowls is hard. Mahomes has won two.

Charles Omenihu tore his ACL. Thats huge.

It's very definitely a matter of if, every year is different. Who would've thought in 2004 the patriots would go 10 years before winning the next one?

Winning Super Bowls is hard. Mahomes has won two.
Exactly, so IF Mahomes wins this SB, Ithink he moves ahead of Montana…IF he wins 3.

Enough of even the whispers of a future debate of Mahomes rivaling Brady!!!
He has to stay on top for 10 more years to even enter the discussion.
Reid won't coach that long, Kelce is retiring... Let's see how Patty fares in the "down years" that ARE coming.
This is a down year for Pat, and he's in the SB again. Omg I hate it. Maybe the next down year will be his downfall I hope!

I kind of all ready explained that in my post but let me clarify..

If Mahomes wins a 3rd SB at this point in his still young career; and you look at his clutch play, the historic numbers he has produced (he’s on pace to shatter just about all passing records) and how he elevates the overall play of his team; for me, that is enough to put him ahead of Montana. I don’t think that’s an absurd take at this point when you look at the totality of what Mahomes has done so far in his career. It’s scary to think what his numbers are going to be when it’s all said and done if he keeps this trajectory going…of course that’s a big “if”.

If he doesn’t win it all this season; he stays behind Montana for now. However, it’s just a matter of when he passes Montana, not if… Let’s see about Brady because Mahomes has a ways to go to have that conversation.
Given the ridiculous rules of this era, it is really hard for me to look at Mahomes‘s stats compared to Montana and make any real case. I mean, Mahomes is playing great, but his receivers and Kelce get free releases and can’t be touched down the field. Neither can Mahomes be touched either. It really is an apples or oranges comparison to look at passing stats.

He does already have 2 league MVPs though which is significant IMO. Montana only had two in his entire career. So I do think if Mahomes gets another one or two MVPs, then that does give him a stronger case. But until he gets to at least four titles, I really don’t see how you can put him over Montana. Plus Montana never lost a Super Bowl.

Given the ridiculous rules of this era, it is really hard for me to look at Mahomes‘s stats compared to Montana and make any real case. I mean, Mahomes is playing great, but his receivers and Kelce get free releases and can’t be touched down the field. Neither can Mahomes be touched either. It really is an apples or oranges comparison to look at passing stats.

He does already have 2 league MVPs though which is significant IMO. Montana only had two in his entire career. So I do think if Mahomes gets another one or two MVPs, then that does give him a stronger case. But until he gets to at least four titles, I really don’t see how you can put him over Montana. Plus Montana never lost a Super Bowl.
I respect your point of view :thumbsup:

I would say the case your making is also the case that people make when saying Montana is ahead of Brady on the GOAT list which all Pats fans and the majority of fans in general acknowledge as insufficient.

Of course there’s a HUGE difference between Brady’s 7 trophies and Mahomes’ 2 (maybe 3).

In the end all of this is subjective and you make a perfectly valid case for keeping Montana at #2 regardless of what happens on Feb 11.

I just happen to have a different opinion.

What's weird is usually he has an amazing feel for what's around him, dont ya think? Didn't even look like the same guy yesterday.
LJ doesn't seem to feel the rush as much as see it. He also doesn't appear to read defenses all that well, fumbles a lot, isn't that accurate and loses his cool. Other than that he's a great QB. ;)

I have no idea why he barley ran

I get it; not everyone’s ready to move Mahomes to #2 yet. As I said, it’s all subjective anyways. For me, I feel it’s obvious that he’ll be #2 on the list IF he wins his 3rd trophy.
This shows just how much Brady accomplished. In the history of the NYFL the question at every position was always who's #1. Brady took the QB question and forever turned it into who's #2. My vote for #2 goes to Montana even if Mahomes wins this game.

This is a down year for Pat, and he's in the SB again. Omg I hate it. Maybe the next down year will be his downfall I hope!
He won't have Kelce forever and what's this talk of Reid walking away after this year? Kelce had a soso year and has been huge for them this postseason.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back