PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 cap

yukon cornelius

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
reading that negotiations are underway, and many expect the 2021 cap to settle somewhere around $185 million, but that teams might not get a final number until close to march 15, when FA negotiations "start" (haha)

a little higher than anticipated......but still going to be a lot of notable cuts

Do you guys think players are going to have to sign lesser deals due to the uncertainty? I have a hard time imagining free agency opening and teams going crazy. I mean theres still teams like the browns, jags, jets who are so poorly run they will likely sign without thought but i imagine there should be some good players not signed going into day 2-3-4 that will have to expect less than expected

Should fans be rooting for the cap to come in higher or lower? I think if the cap came in lower more teams would have to cut players and our remaining cap space would go even further than with a higher cap number.

The higher cap is better, given the developing situation where players are looking at NE in a completely different way than a year ago. We might have to pay more...might.

Do you guys think players are going to have to sign lesser deals due to the uncertainty? I have a hard time imagining free agency opening and teams going crazy. I mean theres still teams like the browns, jags, jets who are so poorly run they will likely sign without thought but i imagine there should be some good players not signed going into day 2-3-4 that will have to expect less than expected
Fantastic question.

The macro question at hand is what will the league's 2022 financial outlook be? I'm assuming we'll be in a heard immunity situation in early/mid 2022 and the expectations will be league/team revenues will be back to normal then. That might impact how teams structure contracts in 2021.

My hot take is teams will spend to the cap in 2021 but look to structure deals so more cash is realized in 2022.

Players will still look to maximize their earning potential. If it's a 1 year deal, so be it. Possible we might see the average FA contract be a little bit less than say the 2020 or 2019 offseason.

Just a guess obviously.

revenue is down, cap will be down for a few years......speculation i have read is that 2022 will be higher, but not as high as it is now......we will see some one year deals, and we will see some deals sign themselves into cap hell down the road lol

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back