PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Patriots Free Agents - Predicting who stays and who goes and at what price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learned today that Josh Boyce and Darius Fleming are already signed for the 2015 season.

Im not completly sold on orton maneri or chung

I really want Ayers back next year. I could see him moving up to defensive end next year when Mayo returns.

Ayers is the 1 back up I absolutely want the Patriots to keep. He backs up several spots.

With Hightower/Collins/Mayo guys like Casillas and Flemming should never see the field if all goes to plan.

Also though Branch be nice to keep I think it is very possible Easley forces himself on to the field next year and between Wilfork/Easley/Siliga/Jones you don't really have much need Branch except for emergency depth.

The only spot we don't have solid front 7 depth is DE. If we lose Ayers we have Buchanan (seems like he is about as good as he is getting) and Moore (who is more of a power DE is we don't know what he will be).

Likelihood that there will be some "shocker" leading up to 2015 season. Kinda like Mankins trade.

I think a team like Atlanta could offer Ridley more money and a better shot at being a clear #1 back. Patriots might not be the best team for a RB to sign a prove it deal with.

Question for everyone:

Assuming they keep Revis, if the price to keep all this mid season guys (Branch, Casillas, Ayers) and another important but not top FA (pick yours) is Mccourty, what would you do, keep Mccourty and lose all these piano carriers or keeping them and reinvest draft picks on the safety position?

From Miguel's blog:

Brandon Bolden – not tendered Danny Aiken – Stays – 2015 cap number – $665,000
Patrick Chung – Stays – 2015 cap hit – $1.2 million

So now Chung is extended 3 years worth up to $8M with $3.4M guaranteed, and Bolden signs a 2 year deal reportedly worth $3.2M.

This is NOT to imply anything about Miguel's predictions, just to underscore how hard it is to predict how things will turn out. I certainly didn't think Bolden would be back and don't know many who did; and I thought there was at least a decent chance Chung would get more money elsewhere if he tested the waters.

But, to toot my own horn:
I would offer the Pats early 4th round pick from TB to New Orleans for DB Kenny Vaccaro. Vaccaro has 2 years left on his rookie deal. He would be a perfect fit as a hybrid S/LB/slot CB for the Pats. He was benched twice this season, partly over mis-use as a classic SS. I don't know if he can be gotten, but I'd make a run at him. If it doesn't work out, then I'd re-sign Pat Chung for something around 3 years/$8M with $3M guaranteed and a 2015 cap hit of about $2.5M, similar to Vaccaro's 2015 hit.

Chung's 2015 cap hit will be $2M+ ($1M base salary + $800K pro-rated signing bonus + $200K roster bonus, plus any incentives; he has $500K in incentives over the 3 year deal).

Last edited:
Agents will play a part in who the Patriots re-sign. Gostkowski, Ridley, and Vereen all have the
same agent and I think the negotiations will be difficult (Welker's agent). They are also Solder's
agent but the Patriot's have opted for the 5th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe