PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL weekly rankings for pass defense. Where does our secondary stand compared to other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect taken. I figured this could be a helpful tool when discussing our secondary. And I'm hoping to make this a weekly thing, because I like using stats to track the progress of our team.
I hear you, Chiuba. I, personally, look at them but take them with a grain of salt. They seldom tell the whole story, good or bad.

No disrespect at all to the OP, but stats are for bums. I like looking at Brady's amazing numbers and all that, but stats are so overblown. What does the product look like on the field? It looks pretty good to me, especially considering it's only week 2 and a lot of those stats came after NE took their foot off the gas, especially last week.

Well, in the words of the Great Hoodie, "stats are for losers - final scores are for winners."

Both of our games included lots of garbage time - the Pats play soft in garbage time, and don't run the clock, either...ergo, the numbers against NE will be inflated.

This D shut down Pittsburgh, who, along with GB and NE, are a top 3 offense. 14 points in 59:58.

Well, in the words of the Great Hoodie, "stats are for losers - final scores are for winners."

Too cool for school, huh? Well, I happen to find numbers very insightful. Even the Great Hoodie majored in economics in college :p

Too cool for school, huh? Well, I happen to find numbers very insightful. Even the Great Hoodie majored in economics in college :p

Nah, I enjoy statistics. My degree is in mathematics. But there's also some truth to Bill's quote.

I hear you, Chiuba. I, personally, look at them but take them with a grain of salt. They seldom tell the whole story, good or bad.

I'm not so much concerned with the numbers themselves as opposed to what they indicate. Through the first two games of the season, our secondary has allowed completions on six of 13 pass attempts that traveled 20 yards or more; 195 yards were gained on those completions, and there have been two touchdowns as a result. Going forward, I'd like to see what shape will these numbers take.

Both of our games included lots of garbage time - the Pats play soft in garbage time, and don't run the clock, either...ergo, the numbers against NE will be inflated.

This D shut down Pittsburgh, who, along with GB and NE, are a top 3 offense. 14 points in 59:58.

Good point. Our defense yielded just 24 points combined in the first three quarters of the first two games. That's very impressive.

But our defense, including our secondary, yielded 29 points in just the fourth quarter of those two games, including 19 unanswered points vs. Buffalo. That's somewhat troubling to me.

Hopefully, they'll play a full 60 minutes against Jacksonville.

Last edited:
Two wins and no losses.. those are the best statistics.

LOL...I love having debates. But you guys are making me a lot more critical than I ever intended to be.

Our defense was good, but also lucky. Even though we held onto a lead for most of the game, the Pats won both games by just one touchdown. And were it not for a few mistakes by the opposing teams, those games might've been more competitive.

The Bills had over a minute to possibly tie the game until Tyrod thew an interception. And the Steelers left 14 points out there in the first game.

1st drive settled for 3. Missed. Left 3 or 7 points there.

2nd drive settled for 3. Missed. Left 3 or 7 points there

3rd scoring drive. Left 4 points because receiver couldn't stay in bounds. Got three that time

5th scoring drive. 1st and goal at the one. Disrupted by penalties for offense entering the neutral zone during the snap count. Settled for three.

That's at least 14 points hanging out there, that could've changed that entire tone of the game, had the Steelers not been so sloppy.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's nice to see how other teams are starting off the season, and whether the Pats will trend upwards or downwards week by week.

My guess it's going to be a roller coaster fdrom week to week depending on opponent;)

I'd look at passer rating, TDs, INTs before total yards allowed. We often are soft between the 30s and tight when in scoring range, with excellent situational football
The 3 INTs vs the Bills had nothing to do with good receiver coverage. Two tipped balls the receivers should have caught and one wild over throw.
Anyone have the "passes defended" stat after 2 weeks?

The stat I go by is defensive passer rating.

At 93.6 we are middle of the pack. However not factoring pass rush we are probably more like bottom 10 but with room to grow. If we fix the CB3 spot I think we would be pretty good.

Also like what I am seeing from Butler so far. I will watch him close vs Robinson.

Passing yards isn't a terribly useful stat, so lets look at where NE ranks in more meaningful categories.

Y/A - 28th (8.7)
Comp % - 25th (72.1)
PR - 16th (93.6)
VOA - 9th (-2.4%)

So, if the pass gets off, it has a high likelihood of being successful, but the Patriots have done a good job of countering those success with big plays.

Interestingly, you would think that, since VOA is that positive about NE's pass defense, they would have a favorable overall rating. Not so. They have the Pats 21st and comfortably below average, largely due to terrible run defense (31st, 16.6%).

Passing yards isn't a terribly useful stat, so lets look at where NE ranks in more meaningful categories.

Y/A - 28th (8.7)
Comp % - 25th (72.1)
PR - 16th (93.6)
VOA - 9th (-2.4%)

So, if the pass gets off, it has a high likelihood of being successful, but the Patriots have done a good job of countering those success with big plays.

Interestingly, you would think that, since VOA is that positive about NE's pass defense, they would have a favorable overall rating. Not so. They have the Pats 21st and comfortably below average, largely due to terrible run defense (31st, 16.6%).

Nice breakdown Oswlek!

We always give up lots of yards ...

the key defensive stats for a Belichick team are red zone defense numbers.

we are a bit poor so far ... those numbers will pick up.

How will our secondary hold up against this season's quarterbacks?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f...09/21/no-passing-fancy-patriots-defense-set-t

Between now and the end of December, the Patriots will go up against the following quarterbacks:

Blake Bortles (Jacksonville)
Brandon Weeden (Dallas)
Andrew Luck (Indy)
Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 (New York)
Ryan Tannehill x2 (Miami)
Kirk Cousins (Washington)
Eli Manning (New York)
Tyrod Taylor (Buffalo)
Peyton Manning (Denver)
Sam Bradford (Philadelphia)
Ryan Mallet (Houston)
Marcus Mariotta (Tennessee)

Not exactly the most threatening bunch of QBs.....so with our current makeup (and barring any trades :) or injuries) how will our defensive backs hold up?

Last edited:
How will our secondary hold up against this season's quarterbacks?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f...09/21/no-passing-fancy-patriots-defense-set-t

Between now and the end of December, the Patriots will go up against the following quarterbacks:

Blake Bortles (Jacksonville)
Brandon Weeden (Dallas)
Andrew Luck (Indy)
Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 (New York)
Ryan Tannehill x2 (Miami)
Kirk Cousins (Washington)
Eli Manning (New York)
Tyrod Taylor (Buffalo)
Peyton Manning (Denver)
Sam Bradford (Philadelphia)
Ryan Mallet (Houston)
Marcus Mariotta (Tennessee)

Not exactly the most threatening bunch of QBs.....so with our current makeup (and barring any trades :) or injuries) how will our defensive backs hold up?

I think we have an NFL leading 11 sacks right now. That means the pass rush is working. The only QB with a quick time to throw stat which offsets a pass rush is Peyton Manning. Andrew Luck is in trouble and we witnessed a part of the reason why Monday night. When he doesn't have enough time to throw he eventually throws picks. I would guess that in week 6 he will throw 2 picks.

We worry about Fletcher but he was burnt on deep routes. QB's will need more than 2 seconds in the pocket to allow that a deep route to mature. Keep Fletcher away from the Percy Harvins in the league and he may be .......better?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST