PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL weekly rankings for pass defense. Where does our secondary stand compared to other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of our games included lots of garbage time - the Pats play soft in garbage time, and don't run the clock, either...ergo, the numbers against NE will be inflated.

This D shut down Pittsburgh, who, along with GB and NE, are a top 3 offense. 14 points in 59:58.

Seeing that in bold reminds me of the Indy fans a few years ago that wanted to discount Peyton's INTs because they bounced off a WR or the receiver ran the wrong route. Unless the Pats weren't trying to stop them from scoring, I would count all 21 points.

I agree with the clock thing though. If they played the clock better when they have big leads they'd have much better numbers. They give opponents too many possessions late in games when the D is gassed.

There are two very good reasons why Arizona is at the top of that list. They played the two worst teams in football.

Even the Jets, who have clearly improved, had the luxury of playing the Browns and a disfunctional Indy team.

It would be good if there was a chart that adjusted for the weakness of the opponent.

There are charts with that adjustment but like most charts they are unreliable early in the season. Most rely on past season success and do not calculate for injury impact.

Football Outsiders does not add that adjustment in until after the 4th week of the season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Seeing that in bold reminds me of the Indy fans a few years ago that wanted to discount Peyton's INTs because they bounced off a WR or the receiver ran the wrong route. Unless the Pats weren't trying to stop them from scoring, I would count all 21 points.

I agree with the clock thing though. If they played the clock better when they have big leads they'd have much better numbers. They give opponents too many possessions late in games when the D is gassed.

The Steelers garbage time TD was worthless to me but OTOH the Bills 4th Qtr scoring was somewhat alarming although after the win I thought it could be used as a nice psychological tool for BB.

There was some uneven CB play yesterday. Both Butler and Justin Coleman gave up big plays while Logan Ryan surrendered 4 catches on 4 targets.

There was some uneven CB play yesterday. Both Butler and Justin Coleman gave up big plays while Logan Ryan surrendered 4 catches on 4 targets.

I think of it this way. All teams have a weakness. I think BB's game plan yesterday was to take away their running game and force the Jags to beat them throwing the ball. The D did a great job taking away the run yesterday. BB/Patricia probably had a few known Jag plays cued up to try to create turnovers etc... I think the Malcom Butler "burnt" coverage was one of the cues and just had a miscommunication with Harmon or something rather than just being beat by the wide receiver. Bottomline each weak seems like a your weakness against our weakness game which BB and staff are the best at.

The D line yesterday was fantastic. They were able to stop the run and put pressure on the QB all day forcing him to make quick decisions. Bortles seems like a decent QB but it only takes one mistake to change a game especially when Brady is throwing darts all game long.

This doesn't mean the team shouldn't try to improve by the way..

Personally, I'm more into the net points statistic. What's a shut-down defense that cannot score? Regardless, who is to say that BB won't pull off another trade for the run? Meanwhile, the players that we have improve and get more experience.

CB targets:
Butler: 2 of 5, 66 yards, TD, 3 PBU
Ryan: 2 of 2, 15 yds, illegal contact flag
Coleman: 2 of 4, 57 yds

Safety targets:
McCourty: 1 of 2, 26 yds + INT (Chung target)
Chung: 0 of 1
Richards: 1 of 3, 6 yds, TD, PBU

LB targets:
Collins: 1 of 4, 0 yards
Hightower: 1 of 3, 5 yards

CB targets:
Butler: 2 of 5, 66 yards, TD, 3 PBU
Ryan: 2 of 2, 15 yds, illegal contact flag
Coleman: 2 of 4, 57 yds

Safety targets:
McCourty: 1 of 2, 26 yds + INT (Chung target)
Chung: 0 of 1
Richards: 1 of 3, 6 yds, TD, PBU

LB targets:
Collins: 1 of 4, 0 yards
Hightower: 1 of 3, 5 yards

That actually doesn't look too bad at all. Especially when you consider that big play on Butler wasn't all on him.

When you say we're ranked 3rd in terms of passing yards, you are referring to total passing yards. We've played fewer games than a lot of teams, so you should probably use passing yards per game. In which case we are 11th.

Still very good though, and we are definitely trending upward.

No question. The defense, including the secondary, had its best week yet

http://nesn.com/2015/10/patriots-advanced-stats-logan-ryan-jabaal-sheard-excel-in-passing-game/

PASS COVERAGE
Game stats: Tarell Brown: 4-6, 30 yards, illegal use of hands Jerod
Mayo: 2-2, 26 yards
Jamie Collins: 3-3, 25 yards
Malcolm Butler: 1-4, 17 yards, PBU
Justin Coleman: 1-1, 13 yards, illegal contact
Devin McCourty: 2-4, -1 yards
Patrick Chung: 1-3, 6 yards, PBU, defensive holding
Logan Ryan: 1-3, 3 yards INT
Rob Ninkovich: 0-2
Chandler Jones: PBU —

—Butler shadowed Terrance Williams for most of the game and allowed just one catch to the Cowboys’ de facto wide receiver. Butler got lucky late in the fourth quarter, when he bit on an in route, then Williams kept going for end zone fade. Cowboys quarterback Brandon Weeden overthrew Williams, and it went for an incompletion.

— McCourty wears a lot of hats as the Patriots’ highest paid defender. He plays free safety when he’s playing next to Patrick Chung and he comes down to play near the line of scrimmage when Duron Harmon is on the field. He spent much of Sunday’s game covering tight end Jason Witten and allowed just one reception for 2 yards.

— Logan Ryan was an unsung hero, allowing just 3 yards and pulling in an interception. Tarell Brown and Justin Coleman also played well at cornerback.

— The Patriots dropped into zone late in the fourth quarter when Weeden dink and dunked down the field. Since no one was individually covering the Cowboys’ running backs on those plays, they weren’t counted against one player.

Season stats:
Malcolm Butler: 13-20, 257 yards, 3 TDs, INT, 4 PBUs
Bradley Fletcher: 7-10, 124 yards, 1 TD, 1 DPI
Logan Ryan: 9-14, 91 yards, INT
Tarell Brown: 7-14, 70 yards
Justin Coleman: 3-5, 70 yards
Jamie Collins: 9-14, 59 yards
Devin McCourty: 5-8, 48 yards, INT
Jerod Mayo: 4-4, 49 yards
Dont’a Hightower: 4-7, 39 yards
Patrick Chung: 5-12, 30 yards, PBU, pass interference
Rob Ninkovich: 3-5, 25 yards
Jonathan Freeny: 2-2, 11 yards
Jordan Richards: 1-3, 6 yards, TD
Duron Harmon: 2 INTs
Chandler Jones: PBU

2015 NFL Team Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Where are we ranked today?

As of Week 7, we are currently ranked 11th in yards per attempt (7.1), 12th in completion percentage (62.9), and 14th in passer rating (89.2)

Other relevant stats --

ATT: Passing Attempts = 229 (tied with CLE for 16th place)
COMP: Completions = 144 (16th)
YDS: Net Passing Yards = 1490 (14th)
YDS/G: Net passing yards per game = 248 (18th)

Last edited:
PASS COVERAGE

Patriots Advanced Stats: Dont'a Hightower, Receiver Drops Stand Out

Game stats:
Malcolm Butler: 5-11, 83 yards, illegal use of hands, holding, 18-yard pass interference
Logan Ryan: 4-7, 67 yards Dont’a Hightower: 3-3, 32 yards, holding Patrick Chung: 3-6, 28 yards, two PBUs
Jamie Collins: 1-2, 23 yards, PBU Justin Coleman: 3-7, 22 yards, TD, PBU, illegal use of hands Rob Ninkovich: 1-2, 9 yards, TD, four PBUs

Season stats:
Malcolm Butler: 23-43, 412 yards, 4 TDs, INT, 7 PBUs
Logan Ryan: 18-30, 209 yards, TD, 2 INTs
Bradley Fletcher: 7-10, 124 yards, TD, DPI
Justin Coleman: 7-14, 119 yards, TD, PBU
Jamie Collins: 12-20, 103 yards, 2 PBUs
Devin McCourty: 9-17, 96 yards, TD, INT, pass interference
Patrick Chung: 11-21, 80 yards, TD, 3 PBUs, pass interference
Dont’a Hightower: 7-14, 71 yards
Tarell Brown: 7-14, 70 yards
Jerod Mayo: 4-4, 49 yards
Rob Ninkovich: 4-7, 34 yards, TD, 4 PBUs
Jonathan Freeny: 5-6, 32 yards Jordan Richards: 1-3, 6 yards, TD
Duron Harmon: 2 INTs, PBU
Chandler Jones: PBU

Not the best day for our secondary that's for sure. A top corner would be very helpful but they just don't fall off trees. I think getting a more consistent pass rush would sure help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST