PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Needs

And how many of them were on the 2013 roster?
The lack of quality depth on the defensive line was a concern by a number of posters on this message board.

But go ahead and keep you head buried in the sand and convince yourself that the likes of Joe Vellano will vault the New England Patriots rush defense to elite status.

You are making a big assumption that Vince Wilfork, at the age of 32, will fully recover from a torn Archilles Tendon.

Where did I make that assumption? And aren't you just assuming the complete opposite. Actually, turning Wilfork into a one or two down run stopper will probably increase his longevity. Kelly/Jones/Armstead are the every down and passing down guys whilst Wilfork and Siliga are the run stoppers. That's 5 defensive tackles right there and we started the season with only four on the roster. Unless one or two of Armstead, Wilfork and Kelly are getting cut, I just don't see more than one DT is getting drafted - and that's a push. I'd be fine with athletic every down guys like Hageman and Tuitt but I think even Nix is questionable and after that, I'd probably wait to day 3 or even UDFA.

The lack of quality depth on the defensive line was a concern by a number of posters on this message board.

But go ahead and keep you head buried in the sand and convince yourself that the likes of Joe Vellano will vault the New England Patriots rush defense to elite status.

You seem to be making all kinds of bad assumptions about my arguments. I don't think you've got one right yet.

Edit: And I'm sorry, but are you saying we'd be better off if we had a serious diabetic and a person who isn't even in football anymore were on our team instead of Vellano, Jones or Siliga. Blimey!

You seem to be making all kinds of bad assumptions about my arguments. I don't think you've got one right yet.

Edit: And I'm sorry, but are you saying we'd be better off if we had a serious diabetic and a person who isn't even in football anymore were on our team instead of Vellano, Jones or Siliga. Blimey!
No just the opposite. You have not looked whatsoever into the history of Bill Belichick as head coach of the New England Patriots. The last time the New England Patriots rush defense was this bad, Bill Belichick the following season drafted Ty Warren in the first round and traded a 2004 4th round draft pick for Ted Washington. Bill Belichick was proactive while you are preaching to "maintain the status quo" with a 32 year old Vince Wilfork and 33 year old Tommy Kelly.

No just the opposite. You have not looked whatsoever into the history of Bill Belichick as head coach of the New England Patriots. The last time the New England Patriots rush defense was this bad, Bill Belichick the following season drafted Ty Warren in the first round and traded a 2004 4th round draft pick for Ted Washington. Bill Belichick was proactive while you are preaching to "maintain the status quo" with a 32 year old Vince Wilfork and 33 year old Tommy Kelly.

2003 isn't a useful comparison, because the problem then wasn't injuries. The only (major) IR'd player on D that year was Colvin.

This year, the Pats lost Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly. Just getting them back healthy would make a huge difference for 2014 even without doing anything else.

2003 isn't a useful comparison, because the problem then wasn't injuries. The only (major) IR'd player on D that year was Colvin.
The last time the New England Patriots rush defense was this bad was during the 2002 NFL Season not the 2003 NFL Season. Colvin was signed as an unrestricted free agent in 2003 not 2002.

This year, the Pats lost Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly. Just getting them back healthy would make a huge difference for 2014 even without doing anything else.
I'm not willing to pin my hopes on a 32 year old Vince Wilfork (recovering from Achilles Tendon surgery no less) and a 33 year old Tommy Kelly to play at a high level forever. As seen this season, Sopoaga and Vellano are not the answer to shore up the New England Patriots rush defense. A proactive approach is necessitated to provide the necessary depth at the defensive tackle position going forward.

Nope.

Armstead
Buchanan
Bequette

Now if the New England Patriots sign Cordarro Law from the CFL to a future contract:

Report: Patriots Work Out CFL Defensive End Cordarro Law, Who Had 14 Sacks North of the Border | New England Patriots | NESN.com

I believe that teams are now allowed to sign players to futures contracts, but AFAIK
Law has not been signed to one. I wonder what the deal with him is.

And as far as the aforementioned trio of Armstead, Buchanan & Bequette are concerned,
they don't necessarily reinforce your point unfortunately. (How good would John Abraham
have looked for us instead of Andre Carter?)

I'm not willing to pin my hopes on a 32 year old Vince Wilfork (recovering from Achilles Tendon surgery no less) and a 33 year old Tommy Kelly to play at a high level forever. As seen this season, Sopoaga and Vellano are not the answer to shore up the New England Patriots rush defense. A proactive approach is necessitated to provide the necessary depth at the defensive tackle position going forward.

Who said anything about relying on them long term? I'm just stating that the Pats might not see it as an urgent need to address in the draft this year.

original.jpg

Ha ha ha.

I was right. You were WRONG.

"The idea that they'd release Wilfork is both offensive and hysterical!"

Is it now? Well laugh hard cause he's about to be kicked out the door!

You and all the other tools telling me I was an idiot, didn't "understand player salaries", and that cutting him would be stupid because it would "trigger all the unamortized bonuses hitting the cap!". Duh!

The dude who wrote that does not seem to have much of an understanding of the team as it is currently constructed and or how it functions.

Maybe you can explain it to me someday.

Ha ha ha.

"The idea that they'd release Wilfork is both offensive and hysterical!"

Is it now? Well laugh hard cause he's about to be kicked out the door!

You and all the other tools telling me I was an idiot, didn't "understand player salaries", and that cutting him would be stupid because it would "trigger all the unamortized bonuses hitting the cap!". Duh!

Going a little crazy, are we?

I understand your righteous indignation - you're not the only one to have predicted that Wilfork would be cut (which hasn't happened officially yet, as far as I am aware). But you don't need to go on a rampage.

Going a little crazy, are we?

I understand your righteous indignation - you're not the only one to have predicted that Wilfork would be cut (which hasn't happened officially yet, as far as I am aware). But you don't need to go on a rampage.
Well I must have been one of the first cause I got quite a scolding from the village idiots. I don't recall others getting that. So yes they need their faces rubbed in it.

Really? Exactly what part of the following quote was "wrong"?
spock.gif

1 ~ I never said he wouldn't be asked to take a Pay Cut, Bro.

2 ~ Most of us consider that a distinct Possibility.

3 ~ And it's perfectly reasonable to speculate that if he's asked and he refuses, he might be cut.

4 ~ But speculating about what might happen and "assuming they cut Wilfork" are 2 entirely different things.

1 ~ Wilfork getting cut was always an obvious possibility, as I and other stated back then.

2 ~ It was only the assumption that I objected to...as I made crystal clear.

3 ~ I never bothered calling you an idiot. I thought you did a fine job of making that clear, yourself. :)

4 ~ It was actually you who called me an idiot, ironically...for pointing out the obvious that had eluded you. :)

KennyB, Ladies and Gentlemen!! :D

Still laughing?

Yes.

Yes, I am.

It wasn't the assumption that Wilfork would get cut that I was laughing at, as I made clear at the time in a way that even most mentally undeveloped 4 year-olds would've grasped. ;)

It was your psychotic tantrum that amused me...and continues to. :)

The Pats aren't planning to release Vince immediately because they want him to think a little about what he is doing. He is a heckuva football player with a great Pats career but after missing last year with a terrible Achilles Tendon injury, he has to start realizing nobody knows how good he could be next year. Hope he settles down and realizes he can finish with the Pats and playing more of a role position may pay less but it may also be smarter and lengthen his career.

spock.gif

1 ~ Wilfork getting cut was always an obvious possibility, as I and other stated back then.

3 ~ I never bothered calling you an idiot. I thought you did a fine job of making that clear, yourself. :)

4 ~ It was actually you who called me an idiot, ironically...for pointing out the obvious that had eluded you. :)

It was a mock draft. It's an exercise in hypotheticals.

Well you are an idiot. A buffoon. "Rooks!"..."midfielders!". What kind of narcissist makes up idiotic terms and expects people to follow along?

I made a mock draft where I said for the sake of th es draft that he'd be cut. That the pats would have his 8m for free agents.

you said the idea of thinking that was offensive! Hysterical! Well apparently bb and I have the same sense of humor. Then you said what you wrote above that he might be cut. It was a possibility. If so why the little sanctimonious prick routine? "How dare you write a mock draft where Wilfork is cut!". If it was a possibility why the hissy in the first place?

Then your band of village idiots piled on to tell me how wrong I was. So much so that you posted that picture. Well i wasn't wrong you douche bag.

Are you disabled? Asperger's? What kind of deluded loser spends countless hours imagining himself a draft pro complete with site? I picture you as a fat loser on disability typing in his pajamas all day. Making up new idiotic terms...flanker! Midfielder! How close am I?

spock.gif

Well you are an idiot.

A buffoon.

"Rooks!"..."midfielders!".

What kind of narcissist makes up idiotic terms and expects people to follow along?

I made a mock draft where I said for the sake of th es draft that he'd be cut. That the pats would have his 8m for free agents.

you said the idea of thinking that was offensive! Hysterical! Well apparently bb and I have the same sense of humor. Then you said what you wrote above that he might be cut. It was a possibility.

so why the little sanctimonious prick routine?

"How dare you write a mock draft where Wilfork is cut!". If it was a possibility why the hissy in the first place?

Then your band of village idiots piled on to tell me how wrong I was.

So much so that you posted that picture.

Well i wasn't wrong you douche bag.

Are you disabled?

Asperger's?

What kind of deluded loser spends countless hours imagining himself a draft pro complete with site?

I picture you as a fat loser on disability typing in his pajamas all day.

Making up new idiotic terms...flanker!

Midfielder!

How close am I?

KennyB, Ladies & Gentlemen!!
jester.gif

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand