PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Needs

I think the interior of both lines should be priority for this draft. I think a somewhat realistic offseason could look like:

1. Restructure Mankins & Wilfork's contracts, possibly Amendola's as well.
2. Cut Soapoga and Connolly if they don't take pay cuts (should save 4-5 million in space)
3. Resign Talib 4yr/25 and Jules 4yr/20
4. Resign Spikes for 3yr/9 or let him walk if he wants more
5. Sign Alex Mack
6. Draft Ra'shead Hageman and double dip with a big space eater possibly McCullers?
7. After next year, use the 7-8 million in dead money from Hernandez coming off the cap to extend McCourty and Vereen.

For those of you worried about another TE, I think Mark Harrison is going to make the conversion to the move tight end. Excited watching his tape, not the best hands but he is strong can get separation and uses his size to shield the ball. Couple this with the development of Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce and we have a very explosive offense. What do you guys think?

I think the interior of both lines should be priority for this draft. I think a somewhat realistic offseason could look like:

2. Cut Soapoga and Connolly if they don't take pay cuts (should save 4-5 million in space)
5. Sign Alex Mack
6. Draft Ra'shead Hageman and double dip with a big space eater possibly McCullers?
7. After next year, use the 7-8 million in dead money from Hernandez coming off the cap to extend McCourty and Vereen.

For those of you worried about another TE, I think Mark Harrison is going to make the conversion to the move tight end. Excited watching his tape, not the best hands but he is strong can get separation and uses his size to shield the ball. Couple this with the development of Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce and we have a very explosive offense. What do you guys think?

I think there is no chance in hell Talib resigns for 4 yrs 25 million.

5. Sign Alex Mack

I can see Talib getting 3 years 12-15 million, that's it and Jules 3 years 12 million, totally agree with extending Vereen and D-MAC as well

I think there is no chance in hell Talib resigns for 4 yrs 25 million.

It could be a little low, but given his off the field issues and history with hip injuries, it is definitely in the ballpark. The market for cornerbacks wasn't that big this past offseason, which is why Talib Grimes Sean Smith DRC all got deals between 5-6 million per year. I don't think the market will be any better this year with limited growth in the salary cap and the outrageous number of corners hitting the market.

2014 free agent corners:
- Talib
- Grimes
- DRC
- Alterraun Verner
- Vontae Davis
- Tillman
- Jennings
- Josh Wilson
- Tarrell Brown
- Browner (if he wins his appeal...)

I believe that because that number of quality corners available will bring down the market because of the alternatives. With the salary cap the way it is teams (with the exception of the Bucs will not pay top dollar for a CB), I would put the value of Talib's new deal avg per year at 6-8 million. So realistically, 4 years and anywhere from 24-32 million and maybe 16-18 guaranteed.

Thoughts?

It could be a little low, but given his off the field issues and history with hip injuries, it is definitely in the ballpark. The market for cornerbacks wasn't that big this past offseason, which is why Talib Grimes Sean Smith DRC all got deals between 5-6 million per year. I don't think the market will be any better this year with limited growth in the salary cap and the outrageous number of corners hitting the market.

2014 free agent corners:
- Talib
- Grimes
- DRC
- Alterraun Verner
- Vontae Davis
- Tillman
- Jennings
- Josh Wilson
- Tarrell Brown
- Browner (if he wins his appeal...)

I believe that because that number of quality corners available will bring down the market because of the alternatives. With the salary cap the way it is teams (with the exception of the Bucs will not pay top dollar for a CB), I would put the value of Talib's new deal avg per year at 6-8 million. So realistically, 4 years and anywhere from 24-32 million and maybe 16-18 guaranteed.

Thoughts?

maybe, but both Edelman and Talib will be looking for new contracts and the Patriots would likely have to move a lot of money around to get both of those guys under contract. Makes it seem very likely to me that Wilfork will have to take a big paycut or he will get cut.

Is DT still a big need with the emergence of Silver Slugger and Chris (Mongo"Steve McMichael's Nickname") Jones? Not saying we won't draft one. But we may some flexibility if the injured players are healthy by next May. Need 4. Would prefer a 5th.

Silver Slugger and Jones seem like sure things. Big Vince said he's coming back and will be ready. Hopefully, at a reduced price. I'd guess Kelly and Sopoaga are cut to sign Talib. We still have; Vellano, Fortson and Armstead.

For you youngsters. Steve McMichael was drafted out of Texas by the Pats in the 3rd round and surprisingly cut the next year by a team that needed DL. He went on to have a pretty darn good career for the Bears.

Interior D-line and interior O-line are our Achilles heel going into next year. Gimme a run stuffer and a quality Center and the rest is background music

There aren't any huge dt s coming out. Most are the 6'1" 300 pounders of which we already have some. And hageman disappears in many games. Blocked one on one.

Definitely think they need a wr early. Jarvis landry in the second maybe. Drop son seems like a bust. Willing to give him more time. Tomkins isn't a very natural wr. Leaps when he doesn't have to. Lots of drops. Jury is still out on boyce. Hopeful for him. And edelmen is a fa. Hope he doesn't want amendola money even though he deserves it more than amendola does.

There aren't any huge dt s coming out. Most are the 6'1" 300 pounders of which we already have some. And hageman disappears in many games. Blocked one on one.

Definitely think they need a wr early. Jarvis landry in the second maybe. Drop son seems like a bust. Willing to give him more time. Tomkins isn't a very natural wr. Leaps when he doesn't have to. Lots of drops. Jury is still out on boyce. Hopeful for him. And edelmen is a fa. Hope he doesn't want amendola money even though he deserves it more than amendola does.

:eek:

No

Dude, they're rookies! They've been improving and will likely continue to do so.

Hopefully they can sign Edelperson for a few years at reasonable money but it's the interiot lines and TE which are needs.

Dude, they're rookies! They've been improving and will likely continue to do so.

Hopefully they can sign Edelperson for a few years at reasonable money but it's the interiot lines and TE which are needs.

Yes they're rookies but you always need new blood. Interior line and Te are fine but they have several picks and guards and centers don't usually go very high. T's well there are a few like amaro if he even comes out but he'll probably be gone. Defensive line very few guys big enough to be a difference maker. Plus with jones, siluaga, armstead, Kelly and a rehabbing Wilfork playing for a restructured contract..well there's probably only room for one. I think nix will be gone. Daquan jones is a possibility.

Jarvis landry 2nd
Jeremy gallon 6th

Weston richburg 4th
Spencer long 6th

Aaron lynch 5th

Aaron colvin 4th
Jean Baptiste 4th

Marquis flowers 5th

Jarvis landry has great hands. Makes catches in traffic. While jumping over defensive backs. Reminiscent of reggie wayne. Drop son well I'm not going to pin my hopes on him. Not giving up yet.

Yes they're rookies but you always need new blood. Interior line and Te are fine but they have several picks and guards and centers don't usually go very high. T's well there are a few like amaro if he even comes out but he'll probably be gone. Defensive line very few guys big enough to be a difference maker. Plus with jones, siluaga, armstead, Kelly and a rehabbing Wilfork playing for a restructured contract..well there's probably only room for one. I think nix will be gone. Daquan jones is a possibility.

Jarvis landry 2nd
Jeremy gallon 6th

Weston richburg 4th
Spencer long 6th

Aaron lynch 5th

Aaron colvin 4th
Jean Baptiste 4th

Marquis flowers 5th

Jarvis landry has great hands. Makes catches in traffic. While jumping over defensive backs. Reminiscent of reggie wayne. Drop son well I'm not going to pin my hopes on him. Not giving up yet.

The interior lines are NOT fine. As far as Guards and Centers going high, how good of a player do you want? The elite prospects do go high: Jonathan Cooper went #7 last year, followed by Chance Warmack at #10 and Kyle Long at #20.

I'm not looking for bodies, I want clear upgrades at the interior protecting TFB.

I've poked around a little bit here, I'm a draftnik of sorts but usually do not start looking at these forums until the Pats' season is done, for no reason other than to not distract myself.

Just wondering what people on here think about Ra'Shede Hageman, a DT from Minnesota. I live in Minneapolis and have followed his career and watched him turn in to an absolute beast over the last two seasons. He is a very imposing player with a lot of athleticism--he came to the Gophers as a tight end and they had high hopes for him as a pass catcher and blocker.

He does not play with much other notable talent on the defensive line for the Gophers, but he is a very good player and I would be ecstatic to see the Patriots add him to the defensive line.

I've poked around a little bit here, I'm a draftnik of sorts but usually do not start looking at these forums until the Pats' season is done, for no reason other than to not distract myself.

Just wondering what people on here think about Ra'Shede Hageman, a DT from Minnesota. I live in Minneapolis and have followed his career and watched him turn in to an absolute beast over the last two seasons. He is a very imposing player with a lot of athleticism--he came to the Gophers as a tight end and they had high hopes for him as a pass catcher and blocker.

He does not play with much other notable talent on the defensive line for the Gophers, but he is a very good player and I would be ecstatic to see the Patriots add him to the defensive line.
He's thought to be a higher draft pick than where the pars are drafting ie top 20. I've seen some game film of his. Sometimes makes great plays but seems to disappear for stretches too.

Free agency and how the actual draft falls will dictate their picks. Like most I see TE and interior OL and DL as the primary needs right now. It will be hard to address any of these with an impact player in free agency unless they clear out significant cap space in the interim, but i would love to see them go after Arthur Jones in free agency, i think there is little chance the Browns will let Mack walk, and I also think they are much happier with Connolly and Wendell than the fans, myself included, are. If Jace Amaro drops during the pre-draft then i would love to see either him or Stephen Tuitt in the first round, but right now that is so malleable that it is impossible to know whether either will be there when they pick.

Free agency and how the actual draft falls will dictate their picks. Like most I see TE and interior OL and DL as the primary needs right now. It will be hard to address any of these with an impact player in free agency unless they clear out significant cap space in the interim, but i would love to see them go after Arthur Jones in free agency, i think there is little chance the Browns will let Mack walk, and I also think they are much happier with Connolly and Wendell than the fans, myself included, are. If Jace Amaro drops during the pre-draft then i would love to see either him or Stephen Tuitt in the first round, but right now that is so malleable that it is impossible to know whether either will be there when they pick.

I'm thinking Scott Chandler can work very nicely as a TE for us at a reasonable price. Alex Mack might very well be unavailable, which presents problems but also some opportunity: how can the lineup be rearranged with Mankins at Center? He's doing quite well at LT and it's said that he can play any position on the line, if Mankins were to move to Center who can be plugged in at the Guard positions, either from our own roster, free agency, or the draft?

I'm thinking Scott Chandler can work very nicely as a TE for us at a reasonable price. Alex Mack might very well be unavailable, which presents problems but also some opportunity: how can the lineup be rearranged with Mankins at Center? He's doing quite well at LT and it's said that he can play any position on the line, if Mankins were to move to Center who can be plugged in at the Guard positions, either from our own roster, free agency, or the draft?

I believe the Patriots want to have Mankins at C about as much as they want Minitron there. [Mankins can do it, but that doesn't mean he should.]

I believe the Patriots want to have Mankins at C about as much as they want Minitron there. [Mankins can do it, but that doesn't mean he should.]

Comparing Mankins to Edelperson on the interior line is laughable. BB has shown he can think out of the box and had no problem putting Wilfork at DE in a 3-4.

In general it was more safe keeping Makins at LG, you never quite know how replacements are going to do ni a live game despite their performence in practice. The line did quite well without Mankins at LG, swap Solder in at LT and that frees up Mankins to go elsewhere.

Centers are hard to come by but a RG is a lot easier to get a hold of, Mankins at Center and someone else at RG and the interior line can go from an area of weakness to one of strength.

Mankins was originally drafted as a LT and moved to LG because of light.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back