PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

20 years ago today… the legend begins with the Mo Lewis hit

What he did in one year is legendary in 2001. From the draft, to the FA moves, all working at once, to the promotion of Brady and the balls that took, to the whole thing.
Brady got the start because Bledsoe got injured. The media and posters who attended training camp that off season such as @PatsWickedPissah saw Brady out playing Bledsoe. So why didn't Bill start Brady then? Quite simple, he was coming off of a losing season and just signed Drew to $100M. Telling Bob he'd like to now start a 6th round pick wouldn't sit well with him.

The decision to go with Brady was much easier when they were 5-3 (5-2 with Brady as a starter) as Bledsoe clearly was struggling when he was the starter. I'm sure Bill and Bob had a discussion after Brady became the starter and Bob agreed with seeing how it played out with Tom.

As I remember it, the fan base was torn between Brady and Bledsoe up to week 10 against the Rams. In those days, starters did not lose their jobs because of injury...it just didn't happen. By then, Bledsoe had been healthy enough for 2-3 weeks. BB made the call...I can't say that I agreed with it at the time because we still weren't scoring a lot of points..just grinding it out. Then Brady responded with his best game that season vs. the Saints....

I was not even sold on Brady vs. Bledsoe until the AFC title game when we saw a story of two QB's/two halves. Was so happy that Drew pulled it out...but at that point I knew I wanted Brady to start Superbowl XXXVI...even if he had zero TD passes that playoff run (at that point).

I agree. I think 2002 would’ve been the last season. Brady may have been cut and gone elsewhere by the new Coach as they use a draft pick on a QB.

After thinking about it, it would take some balls to ask an Owner you just signed a QB to a $100M dollar deal to and say it’s not working.
I answer /counter your silliness with 2 words:

Bernie Kosar.

Reactions: Ian
One hit alone changed the courses of player's careers here in New England - Moe Lewis and Jack Tatum as the hitters for starters - Drew almost died and Darryl paralyzed for life at the top of the list

One hit alone changed the courses of player's careers here in New England - Moe Lewis and Jack Tatum as the hitters for starters - Drew almost died and Darryl paralyzed for life at the top of the list
Additionally you can make a strong, hypothetical argument that hit saved BB's job in 2002.

I firmly believe if they finished 7-9, 6-10, etc., 2002 would have been a make or break year for BB.

Additionally you can make a strong, hypothetical argument that hit saved BB's job in 2002.

I firmly believe if they finished 7-9, 6-10, etc., 2002 would have been a make or break year for BB.
and call him the greatest coach ever or not,Bill has to prove as a HC he can win without Brady ...he didn't win much in Cleveland and we already know Brady didn't need Bill last year - Bill still is a first ballot HOFer but another SB win will seal him as #1 ever,but for now many people have doubts about him being called the best ever.

and call him the greatest coach ever or not,Bill has to prove as a HC he can win without Brady ...he didn't win much in Cleveland and we already know Brady didn't need Bill last year - Bill still is a first ballot HOFer but another SB win will seal him as #1 ever,but for now many people have doubts about him being called the best ever.
If Bill fields a competitive team that gets to the playoffs regularly and wins a few games, that’s good enough for me. Finding another elite QB that is regarded as the best in the game is pretty unrealistic.

Now if Bill can’t make the playoffs or always gets bounced out Wild Card weekend.....

Here’s another thought. Had Drew stayed the starter, we would’ve seen an improved defense in 2001, only to regress badly in 2002. I don’t think they would’ve made the playoffs 2001 with Drew because he wasn’t a good fit with the personnel kind of like Brady wasn’t at the end of 2019. Bledsoe was a different guy in Buffalo when he had Peerless Price, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

I think that 2002 would’ve been it for Bill had Drew stayed the starter.

MLR and Box O Rocks were among my favs.
I liked them both too. Box was a lot of fun on the draft forum. Created the legend of Connor Barwin. Sad about MLR, hadn’t realized she had passed and was thinking instantly of her when I read this thread title.

Not sure what happened to Bor? I know he left here and was posting on another forum for awhile and then lost touch.

Here’s another thought. Had Drew stayed the starter, we would’ve seen an improved defense in 2001, only to regress badly in 2002. I don’t think they would’ve made the playoffs 2001 with Drew because he wasn’t a good fit with the personnel kind of like Brady wasn’t at the end of 2019. Bledsoe was a different guy in Buffalo when he had Peerless Price, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

I think that 2002 would’ve been it for Bill had Drew stayed the starter.
Yep.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back