PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1986 week 16 Patriots at Dolphins

stephens44

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Look up the thread title on Youtube, watch how the OC calls this game with an awesome blend of run/pass. We need that philosophy back in Foxboro....
The "OC" was Steve Grogan, both on and off the field.

Charlie Weis.......Josh McDaniels

The New England Patriots: Where the Buck Now Stops... Nowhere...

Look up the thread title on Youtube, watch how the OC calls this game with an awesome blend of run/pass. We need that philosophy back in Foxboro....
interesting split... 12 pass attempts, 59 rushing attempts... thats what i call balance! LOL

and you think Grogan was making the play calls? or was it Raymond Berry...

interesting split... 12 pass attempts, 59 rushing attempts... thats what i call balance! LOL

and you think Grogan was making the play calls? or was it Raymond Berry...
Whoops... I didn't count, just liked how Grogan goes about his business. Love the physical play.

This is my favorite non-TBBB game! I still remember how thoroughly entertained I was that night (the bonus was seeing reactions from Boomer Esiason and Chris Collinsworth at a would-be playoff-qualifying party that swiftly turned into a wake).

Thanks for reminding me by posting, I keep telling myself I'm going to rewatch it and never seem to get around to it :haha:

Last edited:
This is my favorite non-TBBB game! I still remember how thoroughly entertained I was that night (the bonus was seeing reactions from Boomer Esiason and Chris Collinsworth at a would-be playoff-qualifying party that swiftly turned into a wake).

Thanks for reminding me by posting, I keep telling myself I'm going to rewatch it and never seem to get around to it :haha:

It's petty to take so much joy in that. Right there with you. Knocked out of the playoffs the previous year by that Pats (and a great 4th down call by Berry), knocked out again by the Pats on MNF.

It's petty to take so much joy in that. Right there with you. Knocked out of the playoffs the previous year by that Pats (and a great 4th down call by Berry), knocked out again by the Pats on MNF.
Happy Friday!!! Ahh, the magic of screencapping... :rofl:
3aXR4QP_d.webp

I stumbled across the Pats on Dec 16, '85 (thanks, Internet!), so I wasn't aware of the prior elimination. I guess the burn was deeper than I'd realized!

Last edited:
Cannot comprehend how a team from the mid 80's can compare on any level to a team of 2020's, the game has changed quite a bit in 36 years...

What I remember about Grogan ( I liked him) was his TD (182) ratio to his Int's (208).. his overall rating was about 70, but this was acceptable in the 80's but not so much now, no matter how much firepower the Pats have.. Grogan also had a penchant for throwing an int. at the most inopportune time.

It is folly to try to compare teams from 1986 to teams of today as the game is completely different....

Cannot comprehend how a team from the mid 80's can compare on any level to a team of 2020's, the game has changed quite a bit in 36 years...

What I remember about Grogan ( I liked him) was his TD (182) ratio to his Int's (208).. his overall rating was about 70, but this was acceptable in the 80's but not so much now, no matter how much firepower the Pats have.. Grogan also had a penchant for throwing an int. at the most inopportune time.

It is folly to try to compare teams from 1986 to teams of today as the game is completely different....
Receivers got routinely mugged at the line and downfield until Polian got the rule change in mid 00s . Look at QB ratings then ( none over 100) and td/int ratio were much worse. You're right the game has changed so it isn't fair to compare eras but boy that the Pats in Grogan era were a nasty running team....

Grogan was not considered a good QB back then. I mean, he not only lost his job to Eason, but before that he lost his job to Matt Cavanaugh.

I think there were a ton of good QBs back then, some of those guys I'd take over today's QBs.

Marino, Elway, Fouts, Esiason, Montana, Plunkett, Kelly, Moon, Steve Young, Ken Anderson, even Randall Cunningham. The NFL had a bunch of great QBs back then.

I like to look at Yards Per Attempt as a means to compare QBs of different eras... Total Yards, Total TD Passes, TD/INT Ratio, Completion % aren't really fair to the older dudes...

Grogan was not considered a good QB back then. I mean, he not only lost his job to Eason, but before that he lost his job to Matt Cavanaugh.
Tony Eason had talent and a very good passer
Of course he could and should gave done more but he had a couple of very very good season

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back