PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

19 years ago today: "I resign as the HC of the NYJ"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could watch the full press conference.

This day needs to be declared a holiday. The day Jete stank was reconfirmed for two more decades (and counting).

Just think, since that day there have been only three years when he didn’t still have at least one more game to coach with his team (and IIRC one of those years he had a Pro Boel to coach).
Trying to do the math in my head. I think there have been around only 20 weeks of playoff games total contested in the league while the Patriots have been eliminated from contention since Brady became the starter. (So in a year when Pats miss the playoffs, that counts as four weeks.)

One little remarked upon aspect of that fiasco: Belichick never pledged he was going to coach them. He didn't sign a contract with them with the understanding he was theirs. The prior year, the Oakland Raiders offered him the HC job. He went back to Parcells and the Jets, and that's when they made him the Associate HC offer and paid him $1m a year with the understanding that he was going to take over from Parcells when Parcells stepped down. But they offered him that to keep him FROM the Raiders. That deal was in Belichick's favor--it didn't bind him to the Jets.

I forget, why didn't he take the Raiders job ??

I wish I could watch the full press conference.
I watched it live and remember it as one of THE most entertaining things I ever have seen on television. BB rambled on for I think 45 minutes, throwing Tuna and the Jete organization under the bus. It was like a great movie with a completely unpredictable surprise ending. The flummoxed Jete official who followed him at the podium was priceless calling him "a man in emotional turmoil," when the truth was that BB had just made the only sane choice available to him.

Last edited:
I watched it live and remember it as one of THE most entertaining things I ever have seen on television. BB rambled on for I think 45 minutes, throwing Tuna and the Jete organization under the bus. It was like a great movie with a completely unpredictable surprise ending. The flummoxed Jete official who followed him at the podium and was priceless calling him "a man in emotional turmoil," when the truth was that BB had just made the only sane choice available to him.
Steve Gutman was his name. President of the Jets. A complete and total imbecile.

Paraphrasing here but I remember someone asked BB about his relationship with Gutman and he said, "I've never met someone who talked so much but won so little.".

That was a day of great entertainment.

Pretty sure the love went both ways. Seem to recall BB taking up Davis several times.
Yep. BB always called him, "Mr Davis"

So awesome. People call it classless but I think it's 100% appropriate for a franchise like the Jete.

Actually they deserved toilet paper, missed opportunity.

I lived in NYC then, and Francesca killed BB foe weeks afterward (Francesca and Parcelss are BFFs and own horses together). He wrote a great article about how Kraft is a fool for hiring BB.

This is the sweetest of all Patriots memories.. that fateful day born out of a krafty connection to new england and a lingering smell of stale tuna...

I watched it live and remember it as one of THE most entertaining things I ever have seen on television. BB rambled on for I think 45 minutes, throwing Tuna and the Jete organization under the bus. It was like a great movie with a completely unpredictable surprise ending. The flummoxed Jete official who followed him at the podium and was priceless calling him "a man in emotional turmoil," when the truth was that BB had just made the only sane choice available to him.
Steve Gutman was his name. President of the Jets. A complete and total imbecile.

Paraphrasing here but I remember someone asked BB about his relationship with Gutman and he said, "I've never met someone who talked so much but won so little.".
Now I really wish I could see the full press conference lol!

I didn't even watch football at this point in my life.

Now I really wish I could see the full press conference lol!

I didn't even watch football at this point in my life.
BBs Gutman comment was years later. Not many people BB has outward facing disdain for (Casserly, Mangini, Polian) but Gutman is one of them.

C1V1M_NWQAEISFQ

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search
The media has hated Bill since he was with the Browns.

And they've hated the Patriots since the merger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes