PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

19-0 in 2009 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple people, max, were outright predicting it. Most people dismissed it as so unlikely that it wasn't worth thinking about- kinda like now. If anything, people are more open to it now, since we came within 2 minutes of seeing it happen.

But yeah, there were all those questions and more. Setting aside revisionist history for a minute, that 2007 team was far from perfect.

None of that changes my viewpoint much, if at all. I would like it, I want it, but I don't expect it at all. The funny thing, as I was telling my roommate just days ago, the 2007 season will sting so bad even if they manage to go 19-0 this season. I'll be elated, of course, but I'll still wish they did it in 2007.

Last edited:
None of that changes my viewpoint much, if at all. I would like it, I want it, but I don't expect it at all. The funny thing, as I was telling my roommate just days ago, the 2007 season will sting so bad even if they manage to go 19-0 this season. I'll be elated, of course, but I'll still wish they did it in 2007.

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I want the Pats to go 19-0. Why the hell wouldn't I? As a fan, though, I dunno if I can take another year of that media frenzy. Maybe it would be different the second time around, especially without spygate, but 2007 was more draining than being a fan ever should be. By the time that the Super Bowl came around, I was more scared at the prospect of losing it than I was excited by the possibility of winning another one.

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I want the Pats to go 19-0. Why the hell wouldn't I? As a fan, though, I dunno if I can take another year of that media frenzy. Maybe it would be different the second time around, especially without spygate, but 2007 was more draining than being a fan ever should be. By the time that the Super Bowl came around, I was more scared at the prospect of losing it than I was excited by the possibility of winning another one.

So was I. In fact, I honestly woke up the morning of the SB with the most eerie feeling I can ever remember having. I'm not saying I expected they'd lose the game, but I really wasn't as confident as I'd been all year long. At one point during the SB, I looked at Tom Brady's body language while he was walking off the field after yet another three-and-out possession, and I just knew that it wasn't going to end well for the NE fans.

There couldn't have been that many questions since there were quite a few people who were predicting they'd go 19-0 before that season started.

That isnt even close to true.
I remember after the beatdown of games 1 and 2 both 38-14 laughers, almost as if I didn't believe what I was saying "this could be the best team i have ever seen, they could actally go undefeated" and NO ONE had said it before that.

ABSOLUTELY NO ONE MENTIONED 19-0 IN THE PRESEASON> EVER.

I remember after the beatdown of games 1 and 2 both 38-14 laughers, almost as if I didn't believe what I was saying "this could be the best team i have ever seen, they could actally go undefeated" and NO ONE had said it before that.

If you say so. I really don't care to even debate it anymore. You say there were questions, so there were questions. I've already stated my opinion on 19-0 this season and I'm done. For all our sakes, if they get to 18-0, just FINISH THE DAMN JOB this time.

I don't even care to go over all of this. I said that Brady wouldn't come out guns blazing. I never said he wouldn't be ready. That's the only one that I'll try to clarify. The rest . . . well, that's just your opinion obviously.

Just my opinion, in response to just your opinion.
Saying he wont come out guns blazing is certainly saying he wont be 100% ready, and I totally disagree. In fact, I cant imagine why he wouldnt be.

You seem to act as if 'my opinion' isn't valuable, but yours is?????
Actually the strength of the AFCE was opinion. The fact that 'not knowing' doesnt mean better or worse is not opinion.

So was I. In fact, I honestly woke up the morning of the SB with the most eerie feeling I can ever remember having. I'm not saying I expected they'd lose the game, but I really wasn't as confident as I'd been all year long. At one point during the SB, I looked at Tom Brady's body language while he was walking off the field after yet another three-and-out possession, and I just knew that it wasn't going to end well for the NE fans.
I know exactly what you're describing, as I felt the same way too. It certainly was incredibly draining, as I still think they'd have won it all with a loss at the end of the season somewhere--a la Miami in '04. It would've gotten the monkey off of everyone's back, and I just really feel that they would've reset themselves on the goal again, if that makes any sense.

Not saying they weren't ready, but I like the way Belichick gets his team focused again after a loss. It may have been quite beneficial.

If you say so. I really don't care to even debate it anymore. You say there were questions, so there were questions. I've already stated my opinion on 19-0 this season and I'm done. For all our sakes, if they get to 18-0, just FINISH THE DAMN JOB this time.

We can agree on that, whether there are 11,12,13...19 wins, as long as one of them is the SB that is all that truly matters.
I will take an 8-8 season with a SB Championship over a repeat of 2007 every time, but I'd rather have it all.
The last 2 minutes of 2007 were probably (2006 AFCC 2nd half is right there) the worst I ever endured as a fan of this team, but the 18 weeks before that were (SB wins aside) easily the best.

Of cource i want to see it but id be happy with seeing brady be healthy and go 14-2 and have home field. I do think brady is gona have a huge chip on his shoulder and blow up like its 2007 all over again!

As far as the 07 season went, I remember the press bringing it up after the Dallas game, (week 6? IIRC?) and even then Belichick laughed it off and said that talk about a perfect season was ridiculous.

It wasn't until we barely beat the Colts halfway through (week 9?) in the final minutes that the talk really got going.

Then came the 3 out of 4 primetime games, where we barely escaped again, then the pressure really started getting heavy every week. The toll was probably tremendous on the players, and IMO probably cost the team from winning the SB. It just seemed like it was a matter of time before the team's luck was going to run out, and it finally happened at the worst possible moment.

I'd much rather have seasons like 03 and 04, where a loss just made everyone hungrier, and perfection wasn't brought up nor expected. Now we'll have to go through this talk of 19-0 every year for a while--and every team will be compared to 07.

It's not hard to say the team should be damn good, barring major injuries etc. But trying to predict the future is tough, as many games in 07 could've gone another way. There's nothing wrong with expecting a couple/few losses IMO, but to each his own. I can't believe some are actually arguing over this.

Last edited:
ten times out of ten times, I would rather loose a superbowl with a 18-0 record. A superbowl lost is still a superbowl lost, regardless of your record.

Why are some fans so shameful of loosing the superbowl to the giants? They didnt blow us out of the water, it was a very close game.

If there's any regret for the above, it should be 2006 for losing Rodney in that meaningless Titans game. Think Rodney might have made a difference in the AFCCG that year? :mad:

We'll never know, of course, but one would think that Rodney would have helped make a stop on 3rd down on one of the 2nd-half drives that resulted in a dolts' TD.

What really sux is that, had Rodney not hurt his shoulder during the loss to the dolts in the reg. season, he might very well have been given the final game off and never would have suffered his knee injury at the dirty hands of Bobby Effin Wade. But because that game was only his 2nd one back from the shoulder injury, I'm sure that they all felt that he needed to work off a little rust in preparation for the POs.

Not good times. not good times...

ten times out of ten times, I would rather loose a superbowl with a 18-0 record. A superbowl lost is still a superbowl lost, regardless of your record.

Why are some fans so shameful of loosing the superbowl to the giants? They didnt blow us out of the water, it was a very close game.

I'm not ashamed. I'm devastated.

We'll never know, of course, but one would think that Rodney would have helped make a stop on 3rd down on one of the 2nd-half drives that resulted in a dolts' TD.

What really sux is that, had Rodney not hurt his shoulder during the loss to the dolts in the reg. season, he might very well have been given the final game off and never would have suffered his knee injury at the dirty hands of Bobby Effin Wade. But because that game was only his 2nd one back from the shoulder injury, I'm sure that they all felt that he needed to work off a little rust in preparation for the POs.

Not good times. not good times...

Indeed. Everytime Rodney went down it was just a huge loss,to date we haven't won a SB without him. We would've won that AFCG with him IMHO :), or at least say our chances would have increased by a lot.

His injuries were right up there on the "OH **" scale, that's for sure :(

A couple people mentioned 16-0. Not sure about 19-0, but that's borderline assumed when you're talking about a 16-0 team (we found this out the hard way). I joined this site the very week that you're talking about, and there were some discussions a few pages back about it. After we got 16-0, some guy even bumped a thread from the preseason where he had been speculating it.

Last edited:
A couple people mentioned 16-0. Not sure about 19-0, but that's borderline assumed when you're talking about a 16-0 team (we found this out the hard way). I joined this site the very week that you're talking about, and there were some discussions a few pages back about it. After we got 16-0, some guy even bumped a thread from the preseason where he had been speculating it.

You're right. Contrary to what he thinks, I know for a fact that there were people before preseason who mentioned it because I listened to them firsthand, but I just didn't want to continue the argument as it really has no bearing on the upcoming season. Let's all just hope for a good season, shall we?

Last edited:

I wasn't ashamed of the Pats at all. I was just disappointed, even more so than if they'd 'just' lost a SB. When you lose a SB, it sucks, but losing in 2007 meant losing a shot at legitimate football immortality (plus a chance to finally shut up the '72 dolphins). There was more at stake, so it was even more disappointing.

I wasn't ashamed of the Pats at all. I was just disappointed, even more so than if they'd 'just' lost a SB. When you lose a SB, it sucks, but losing in 2007 meant losing a shot at legitimate football immortality (plus a chance to finally shut up the '72 dolphins). There was more at stake, so it was even more disappointing.

Quite the accurate summation. I was soooooooo disappointed just because of the implications of winning such a game. Ah man. BradyFTW, you couldn't have more accurately described what I felt even if I said it to you as you typed.:D

Indeed. Everytime Rodney went down it was just a huge loss,to date we haven't won a SB without him. We would've won that AFCG with him IMHO :), or at least say our chances would have increased by a lot.

His injuries were right up there on the "OH **" scale, that's for sure :(

Super Bowl XXXVI?

Super Bowl XXXVI?

I think he meant since Rodney joined the team. Which is sort of a redundant point (we haven't won without him... since we had him) but in this case makes a little bit of sense since Rodney has had a tendency to suffer season-ending injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents