PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#12 ranked #52 on most famous athletes in world - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Brady by far is the most popular NFL player you either love him or you hate him, but people always tune in to watch him play.

According to the ESPN criteria "ESPN's director of sports analytics, devised a formula that combines salary and endorsements with social media following and Google search popularity to create the ESPN World Fame 100 rankings."

So, in other words, because Brady doesn't whore himself out like certain other QB's *cough* Manning *cough* he is not as famous.

Maybe Manning, could even see the argument for Newton (but I strongly disagree with it), but Brees????

Lol Newton? The guy has been big for only about one year.

While I get the NFL is primarily popular in North Amercia, the highest NFL player is really only 38? Is it a ton of soccer players at the top of something?

I don't want to click but I'm curious to how many racecar drivers are on that list? And where on the list? Can someone check? Thanks!:)

I don't want to click but I'm curious to how many racecar drivers are on that list? And where on the list? Can someone check? Thanks!:)

IF you ask someone to "click" aren't you an accessory to the crime? Are you really guilt free if someone clicks for you? :D

IF you ask someone to "click" aren't you an accessory to the crime? Are you really guilt free if someone clicks for you? :D

Lately I've been getting lots of sites asking me to turn off my adblocker to continue. If you can go to the article with your adblocker on, ESPN may be losing money. ;)

BTW, adblocker is off when I'm at patsfans.com.

Here is the list: Bold Black =Football Bold Blue= Patriots Bold Red = Redsox

1. Cristiano Ronaldo

2. LeBron James

3. Lionel Messi

4. Neymar

5. Roger Federer

6. Kevin Durant

7. Tiger Woods

8. Virat Kohli

9. James Rodriguez

10. Rafael Nadal

11. Kobe Bryant

12. Gareth Bale

13. Phil Mickelson

14. Mahendra Singh Dhoni

15. Usain Bolt

16. Novak Djokovic

17. Wayne Rooney

18. Maria Sharapova

19. Mesut Ozil

20. Rory McIlroy

21. Zlatan Ibrahimovic

22. Luis Suarez

23. Ronda Rousey

24. Sergio Aguero

25. Serena Williams

26. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

27. Radamel Falcao

28. Cesc Fabregas

29. Carmelo Anthony

30. Derrick Rose

31. Andy Murray

32. Cam Newton

33. Dwyane Wade

34. Stephen Curry

35. Manny Pacquiao

36. Dwight Howard

37. Conor McGregor

38. Peyton Manning

39. Chris Paul

40. Odell Beckham Jr.

41. Sania Mirza

42. Eden Hazard

43. Blake Griffin

44. Drew Brees

45. Damian Lillard

46. Michael Phelps

47. Kei Nishikori

48. Russell Westbrook

49. Russell Wilson

50. Jordan Spieth

51. Justin Rose

52. Tom Brady

53. Aaron Rodgers

54. James Harden

55. Alex Morgan

56. J.J. Watt

57. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

58. Jimmie Johnson

59. Lewis Hamilton

60. Jeremy Lin

61. Marshawn Lynch

62. Frank Lampard

63. Danica Patrick

64. Ryan Sheckler

65. Alex Ovechkin

66. Eli Manning

67. Kevin Love

68. Chris Bosh

69. Andrew Luck

70. Tony Romo

71. Bryce Harper

72. Rob Gronkowski

73. Mike Trout

74. Venus Williams

75. Fernando Alonso

76. Shaun White

77. Tony Stewart

78. David Ortiz

79. Amar'e Stoudemire

80. Wladimir Klitschko

81. Lydia Ko

82. Sidney Crosby

83. Billy Horschel

84. Canelo Alvarez

85. Robinson Cano

86. Yaya Toure

87. Deron Williams

88. Miguel Cabrera

89. Masahiro Tanaka

90. Tim Duncan

91. Rudy Gay

92. Evgeni Malkin

93. Albert Pujols

94. Kyle Busch

95. Andy Dalton

96. Tim Howard

97. Kimi Raikkonen

98. Ben Roethlisberger

99. Carson Palmer

100. Matt Kemp

In the top 50 who are the below names I like to think I would of known the top 100 being an avid armchair sports fan, but these have me baffled. Granted it may seem I am up my own arse but who are they.. how dare they be in the top 50. Not to poke fun at these guys but I would imagine the starting lineups of Real, Barcelona and Man Utd would be known more than these guys.

Seriosuly.. I got to use google on these 'famous' people

30. Derrick Rose
34. Stephen Curry
39. Chris Paul
45. Damian Lillard
48. Russell Westbrook

Touche! I'll have to view BSPN thru that site that someone posted once that limits the amount of click/view advertising. Too bad I can't remember what the link to that site was!:oops:

Thanks for posting the list! Only F1 and Nascar drivers and all outside the top 50. Typical BSPN list. A true worldwide leader in sports top 100 famous athletes list would have Lewis Hamilton much higher up on that list.

I.....do.....not.....give.....a.....f###.....about such non-sensical idiocy. That sort of s##t leads to brain cancer. Every perceived slight, no matter how minor, to any Patriot player sends many here into cardiac arrest. Just know (and I know from personal experience) that acknowledging and/or responding to such BS simply feeds the pig.

From the folks who brought you QBR...

Papi is only 78? Not a chance.

In terms of fame, this list is crap. Loved or hated, Tom Brady is easily one of the top 5 most famous sports figures in the US..at least.

hell no, i know people who don't watch or know a thing about football at all and most of the time they are familiar with the name Tom Brady. it is foolish to put newton, peyton, and brees over Brady.

In the top 50 who are the below names I like to think I would of known the top 100 being an avid armchair sports fan, but these have me baffled. Granted it may seem I am up my own arse but who are they.. how dare they be in the top 50. Not to poke fun at these guys but I would imagine the starting lineups of Real, Barcelona and Man Utd would be known more than these guys.

Seriosuly.. I got to use google on these 'famous' people

30. Derrick Rose
34. Stephen Curry
39. Chris Paul
45. Damian Lillard
48. Russell Westbrook
I never even heard of Damian Lillard. I mean, literally. At least those other guys I recognize as NBA players. I can even name a couple of their teams.

Odel Peckerhead Jr....hilarious...

This list is absurd. Drew Brees ahead of Brady in popularity!?

How is Kevin Durant even in the top 10? 28 spots ahead of Curry!?

Ryan Sheckler, a washed up skateboarder, most popular as a child 10 years ago, above Rob Gronkowski.

I don't even know the names of 10 people in the top 30. I've heard 2 or 3 their names come up like once before, but couldn't tell you what team, let alone the league they play in - just the sport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents