PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Thoughts on the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I just rewatched the highlights of the Jet's other 5 games and think this might be the toughest test the Pats have had all year. If they only play a so-so game they will get beat. They need to be up for this one and I think they know it. There are a lot of things the Jets do well you need to worry about and not a ton of weaknesses to exploit. Frankly they should be 5-0 as their loss to the Eagles was incredibly fluky on further review. Every other win has been a comfortable 2 score victory for them or more. I hope and believe the Pats will go into this game with that mind set. With that in mind here are my 10 thoughts.

Their Offense

#1 Chris Ivory - He is right now one of the top RBs in the NFL. I think the Patriots going too undersized against them might be a mistake. He is not known for catching but he can do it if called upon. He is fast, quick, strong and hard to bring down. A very complete RB

#2 Big WRs - Marshall is having a heck of a year and Decker is not doing too bad himself. They are strong and break tackles if you let them. When you have them you need to be sure to bring them down cause they are play makers particularly Marshall. To make it even more concerning Fitzpatrick is not afraid to go deep and throw a pick and rely on his D if it goes wrong all to give his WRs a chance to make a big play . It seems Marshall and Decker tend to come down with those deep balls in tight coverage fairly often.

#3 Fitzpatrick - While not a great QB he is playing to what this team does well and finding ways to get points particularly when given short fields. He will go deep often and is underrated in his threat to run. He has 20 runs on the year and has broken a few. He will make mistakes but will make plays and the D will try to make sure his mistakes are not paid for. They are not just chucking it up; they pick their spots. They seem more likely IMO to take risk on your side of the field so i think this is all rather intentional.

#4 OL - The Jets have one of the best OLs in the NFL. Fitzpatrick has dropped back near 200 times and has been sacked only 2 times and that is not cause he gets it out quick all the time. They hold up well and open big lanes. This will be a huge test for our DL.

This offense as a whole has talent everywhere and lets their below average QB try to make plays and does not get conservative unless up.

Their Defense

#5 DL - What can be said here? I won't go into it much but you know and i know this is a stacked unit. What you should also know is they now mix it up more than they use to. It is not just a blitz frenzy. They rush 3 and 4 and do all kinds of stunts. When they do blitz they tend to get there. I expect Tom to get the ball out fast particularly early on.

#6 DBs - Revis is not as good as he was 5 years ago but still one of the top 5 CBs. He has lost a bit physically though but he is so smart and savvy and physical. Cromartie is big and likes to hit but can beat beat over the top sometimes if you have enough time. Usually you don't. He is a lot like Browner but a bit more versatile. Their slot CB Buster Skrine i hear is injured with a concussion and might not play. That could be an area to attack in that secondary. Not to mention i am not overly impressed with those safeties. It comes down to a question of time though.

#7 LBs - This is a group that to me has more talent on the outside than the inside. They can pass rush well but I question their ability to cover. Coples to me is a OLB in name only. At about 290 he clearly plays more like a DE in space. He is even bigger than Willie McGinest. He tries to play that elephant but I just don't think he is fast enough in space and if he is not rushing you can exploit him. When rushing he is an absolute beast and you see his freakish athleticism. Pace is a vet but maybe a bit too old. No sacks this year but he has speed and is more of a naturally 3-4 OLB. Still pretty good though. The interior guys to me are good but the they are more there to hold space and let other guys make plays and i think crossing routes over the middle in front of them could work.

Other

#8 Turnovers - The Jets have 15 and the only 2 teams that have more (Denver 17, Eagles 16) have played 1 more game. The Jets are aggressive in going for them and attack the ball. They have 8 FFs on the year with 7 recovered. When I say FF i mean it. They consistently attack the ball. The Pats are one of the best at not giving the ball away with a league low 3 Givaways. This will be strength against strength and will not just be about the Pats not making mistakes cause I said.. Many of these turnovers are forced by great pressure or great CB play or striping a ball out or hard hits. The Pats need to always be aware it is coming.

#9 Coaching - These are not your Rex Ryan Jets. Todd Bowles is smart and not going to throw up all over himself. He was a great defensive coach in Arizona and seems to have a very BB approach. He is calm but focused. I don't think we will have the huge advantage in this department we have had in most of our games.

#10 Veteran team - This is a a team that has players that will do some dumb things on occasion but overall they are a smart savvy veteran team that will do their talking on the feild. They will not get too up or down for this game. They know it is important but will not get so crazy they commit 10+ penalties like the Bills or Come out hot and burn out like the Cowboys. I expect smart play from smart players who know how to play the situation.

Prediction: Pats get a hard fought home win in a game that would be way too close for comfort if played on the road Patriots 27 Jets 20 and it will be close all 4 quarters.

Last edited:
Revis' s still the best corner in the league. This won't be easy. Division games are always tough but this defense's much better then the bills defense. I think field position will be a key.

I see the Patriots out of shotgun frequently with Lewis in the backfield. Would be nuts to try to run on the Jets, even if they are in nickel or dime. I suspect the Patriots will identify who Revis is covering - likely either Edelman or Amendola - and design the play around the other guy, since that is essentially what they did against the Colts with Edelman struggling with a finger injury. That is such a huge advantage because it basically makes Revis a zero net gain, having two players who are very close in skill set. I cannot imagine Cromartie is still good with his lanky build at his age, but I haven't really seen him play much.

Although the Jets have a very solid defense, their safeties and linebackers - in my opinion very critical parts in facing the Patriots - are their weakness. In addition, teams boasting great pass rushers typically are neutralized by Brady's quick release. The Lions last year come to mind as a unit that on paper we thought would destroy our line but in reality were ineffective due to superior game planning.

Still, I am sold on their defense. Their offense is quite another story. They are team built to win with a lead, salting away the clock, and being able to run playaction frequently. As you pointed out, most of their wins have been decisive. I think this team will struggle badly if they get behind and get into an obvious passing situation. Fitzpatrick is full of dumb mental mistakes, and I think Marshall and Decker are very overrated. Sure, they are good outside receivers and much better than the Jets have had lately, but this is nowhere near a top duo in the league. I don't think the Patriots will struggle much in containing them. Who is the Jets tight end? Amaro? Don't see a lot of threats inside the numbers.

I thought it might be useful for me to look at their opponents so far and comfort myself that they haven't beaten anyone, but really our opponents so far have been about the same, record-wise. They have played the Browns, (2-4), the Colts (3-3), the Eagles (3-3, their only loss), the Dolphins 2-4 and the Redskins 2-4.

We've beaten the Steelers (now 4-2, but they got a few guys back after we played them), Buffalo (3-3), the Jags (1-5), Dallas (depleted 2-3) and Indy (3-3). Our only common opponent thus far is Indy, and they held them to fewer points than we did, but we scored more against Indy.

I guess the way to think about it is, if we score the points we usually score, and they do the same, we should win. The Pats need to shut down Ivory and Marshall, then I think we will be okay, as long as Brady gets time.

Most teams seem to come out weak after emotional match-ups the previous week too. But thankfully, this isn't most teams (no mid-season Superbowls) and I think they know every win is a jab at Goodell and the NFL. Plus, they harbour a strong hate for the Jets on top of it all.

Your analysis is excellent... just one complaint...

You're making it very difficult for me to think happy thoughts.

Here's a happy thought for you:

Right after the game on Sunday night, BB reminded the entire team that they were still fighting for first place in the AFC East.

A loss to the Jets would put them in first place, and the entire team knows that.

I think we'll be ready.

The eagles beat them by stopping the run and having balance on offense. They also created turnovers.

The eagles beat them by stopping the run and having balance on offense. They also created turnovers.

Ivory and Decker were out vs Philly. And they had that little bastard Sproles killin us. ... Exactly why I'm worried about Dion.

The Edelman vs Revis match up will be interesting. I don't think Revis has the edge, despite being the best CB in the league.

This game could very well be brutal...

The Jets defensive line is second to none in the NFL.. its got 1st round talent all the way across the board going up against our patchwork O-line, with Revis in the secondary.

I'm very, very nervous about this game..

How did the Jets quietly assemble a good team seemingly overnight?

They have had strong drafts that were over shadowed by how bad their QB play was and bad coaching. Talent wise they have consistently hit in the draft particularly on D and did well in FA the past 2 years. Revis and an NFL quality QB were they key pieces.

Looking at the Jets salary cap situation right now on Spotrac, so not sure how accurate it is.

Committed payroll (not including obvious cuts/restructures) for 2016:

Patriots 144M
Jets 140M

Notable Free Agents

Patriots
None (wow, that is remarkable. Literally, their FAs are all guys like Wendell, Blount, Ebner, Develin, Wilson, and Martin. I don't think there's a top 20 guy on there. A combination of Mayo's free money, restructuring, and a higher cap can all be used for either extensions or FAs...I bet mostly extensions with signing bonuses a year early. Major free agency issues in 2017, though.)

Jets
Wilkerson, Ivory, Fitzpatrick, Harrison. Four notable starters, with Wilkerson likely to get something in the ballpark of Darius. I can't believe the Jets spent that much money in the offseason. They are already up against the cap and probably won't be able to add much outside of extending their own guys.

This game could very well be brutal...

The Jets defensive line is second to none in the NFL.. its got 1st round talent all the way across the board going up against our patchwork O-line, with Revis in the secondary.

I'm very, very nervous about this game..

Their Dline is good vs the run, but their pass rush hasn't been that impressive recently from what I've seen. Although I haven't watched them that closely.

1. Getting Marshall for almost nothing.
2. Williams somehow falling to us in the draft.
3. Texans deciding to let Fitz go.
4. Like $50 mil in cap space after the Idzik debacle.

And this didn't hurt either...

“Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Their Dline is good vs the run, but their pass rush hasn't been that impressive recently.

Disagree. They get good pressure. They just don't have those speed guys that break one move and get a free line but they tend to collapse the pocket well.

1. Getting Marshall for almost nothing.
2. Williams somehow falling to us in the draft.
3. Texans deciding to let Fitz go.
4. Like $50 mil in cap space after the Idzik debacle.

And this didn't hurt either...

“Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Oh goodie a Jets fan :p

Actually question for you. About my OP anything you disagree with. I would like to get your perspective on it.

Revis
Marshall
A few other additions
A sometimes competent QB (significant step up from Geno who is horrible)
A competent coach

Before the season I felt that our #1 competition in the division would be the Jets. Didn't really expect them to be perhaps one of the best teams in the conference.

I think we get the win Sunday but wouldn't be surprised if split the regular season series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back