Originally Posted by Brady'sButtBoy
I like Jimmy but he overlooks that the Pats had months to head off Branch's ultimatum but used the time inefficiently if they had any real intention of retaining him as a player.
SO you know somehow some way the FO screwed this up. The failure to renegociate an extension to BRANCH's contract in no way could ever in a miilion years be BRACH'S FAULT.
Short of caving into BRANCH, please let us know the special inside infomation that has come to your attention which allows you to take this position with such confidence.
These are the facts i am aware of,
1) After the SB they offered Branch an extension, he refused it. That seems like more then months ago to me.
2)Back over the early spring they made Not ONE but TWO offers to BRANCH and his only response was to refuse to counter expcept to say do not Franchise me and i will come to work. This seems likes months ago to me.
3) The offers for Branch that BRANCH would accept were comparable with the Pat's offers of 6 mill or so a yr.
4) The issue for BRANCH was not the Pat's value of him ....it was the fifth year.....he wanted he wanted his fifth yr torn up....... and all his up front money now..... and the Pat's could not give it to him without setting a precedent that would haunt them forever.....
Too give into BRANCH on this is not to solve the problem but it rather compounds it and moves it into the future.
In essence nothing is solved. The real issue is transferred to the future and becomes much bigger.
5) Seattle had no such agreement with BRANCH so starting his contract when he arrived created no such issue in the future for them.
6) Some times in negociations one of your hands is tied behind your back by circumstance.....BRANCH's five yr contract was such an incumberece on the Pats side of this deal.
So other then the above what can you add that would have solved this issue for BRANCH and somehow demonstrates that the FO screwed the pooch on this???
And please do not say they should have kept negociating....one can not negociate with one's self.
BRACHS' mind was made up he wanted what he wanted PERIOD.
The Pat's decided they could not give it to him.
The FO did not screw this up. BRANCH screwed this up.