We need a QB. Who's it going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllabouttheVinces

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Tom Casale writes in Patriots Football Weekly:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=19560&pcid=41

“· Expect the Patriots to possibly bring in a veteran quarterback in the near future. Brady is Brady and Matt Cassel looked good but there was a big drop-off after those two. Corey Bramlet looked good at rookie mini-camp and Todd Mortensen did well in NFL Europe but both struggled this week. Cassel will probably end up being the backup this season but look for the Patriots to explore brining in a veteran as an insurance policy. Cassel has a cannon for an arm and looks more and more comfortable on the field every time I see him.â€

He's not the only one who reported that Bramlet and Mortenson had a tough week. So either we pick up a current FA, or wait until cuts are made. Here's a list of some of the FA QBs:

Tony Banks
Jeff Blake
Kerry Collins
Ty Detmer
Jay Fiedler
Tommy Maddox
Shane Matthews
Kordell Stewart

The consensus #1 choice is Fiedler, but either Fiedler wants to do more than carry a clipboard, or BB is not sold on him for the price he wants. Playing time (or, more accurately, lack of it) will be a big consideration for anyone who signs with the Pats, so some of these guys (Collins) may not be interested in the Pats.

It's a thin list, and the only one other than Fiedler that I like is Maddox. I look for BB to pick up a released QB during the summer, someone like Tim Rattay, who is rumored to be cut by Tampa Bay.

The thing about a backup QB is the work they do with the scout team may be more important than what they ever contribute on Sunday. That's why Flutie was a valued member of the team last year. Cassell doesn't have the experience to run the scout team, which is why I think Casale's piece has merit, because Bramlet or Mortenson can't do it effectively either.

Who do you like? Any of these guys?

Damon Huard;)

Last edited:
I like the three mentioned.

End of thread.:D

TIm Rattay or Damon Huard.

I'd still prefer to go with two and sign some guy if disaster strikes. Brady never misses games and I'd hate to cut a player with upside for some schmuck QB.

Maybe we can lure Flutie out of retirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the Chiefs keeping 2 QBs nor do I see them taking Printers over Huard.

Maddox always shines as a back up. It's when he gets in a starter role that he chokes. It may not be popular, but I'd be pretty comfortable knowing Maddox could step in now and again. And BB could control him a bit with some of his erratic choices.

BelichickFan said:
I'd still prefer to go with two and sign some guy if disaster strikes.

A lot of these veterans will remain unsigned well into the season, awaiting their chance when injuries happen.

If the coaches have faith in Cassell at #2 so do I... but whether you keep him on the team or not, it never hurts to bring in a street veteran and introduce him to aspects of the system.

That way if disaster does strike, you've got a few veterans you can sign off the "street" who have some basic understanding of your offense to step in at 3rd string

I might add Dave Ragone to that list. He's really struggled in Houston, but had alot of upside coming out of school. Kelly Holcomb and Brooks Bollinger could also be cut during camp.

As much as I hate him, Rich Ganno has been talking about getting a tryout in Tampa. He could be valuable as a coach-type backup to help develop Cassell.

You would have to love signing Tommy Maddox - and then having come on the field and put the Steelers out of the playoffs.....

Fiedler is the only guy who is worth picking up and who wouldnt demand the back-up spot.

Maybe this spot on the 53 could be better utilised with an ILB or WR - of worse comes to worse we could re-assign someone to the practice squad and bring on of those guys in off the street ( im sure alot of the guys lised with still be FA's if we need them)

NM

No way the JETS cut Bollinger and no way the Bills cut Holcomb - he's their starter. Guys like Ragone don't qualify as veterans, besides which he signed with Cincy and they won't let anyone go pending Palmer's return and maybe even thereafter.

Rattay saw some time in SF and BB liked him in college so if he were to shake loose he could probably be a decent journeyman who could run the scout team and step in in a dire emergency. But given he's the oldest and most experienced QB on the Bucs roster I doubt Gruden will cut him. Collins is looking for a #2 job with real potential to start. Feidler will go to the Giants if and when he can even throw more that 30 yards. Coughlin doesn't seem to like Tim Hasselbeck so he could shake loose late if they di sign Feidler. Maddoux will likely end up back in Pittsburgh at least through pre season as depth. There are too many teams with rehabbing QB's on the bubble relative to opening night/day.

Rohan is 4th on the Cardinals depth chart and he's run the scout team here some, so as long as he's kept off the field.... :eek:

Collins is such a bad match for a BB-coached team I can't even believe anyone would want him for. Yes, his pedigree is a bit more impressive than the others, but his judgment is so sooooo poor, I don't want him anywhere near the 53.

I wouldn't mind Blake as a backup. Didn't he backup for the Bungles a few season back and look ok?

His numbers with the Bungles

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
1994 Cincinnati Bengals 10 9 306 156 51.0 2154 7.04 76 14 9 19/120 28 9 76.9
1995 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 567 326 57.5 3822 6.74 88 28 17 24/152 40 10 82.1
1996 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 549 308 56.1 3624 6.60 61 24 14 44/278 35 11 80.3
1997 Cincinnati Bengals 11 11 317 184 58.0 2125 6.70 50 8 7 39/244 25 3 77.6
1998 Cincinnati Bengals 8 2 93 51 54.8 739 7.95 67 3 3 15/79 9 4 78.2
1999 Cincinnati Bengals 14 12 389 215 55.3 2670 6.86 76 16 12 30/168 27 7 77.6

Only drawback is he is pretty old at 36 so I don't know how much he has left in the tank. But still he could run a few games behind center don't you think?

Based on the assumption that Cassell is the real #2: I vote Ty Detmer. He's been running scout teams for ages, and been involved in a million offenses so he'd be a quick learn of the opposition every week. Has no designs of being a starter. Is by all accounts a great team guy and would be a good sounding board for Brady and teacher to Cassell.
Would probably sign for vet minimum

Last edited:
I always thought Fiedler was underrated -- on an offense that was not that good, with Wanny not being a great game-time tactician. (We really take for granted that the team will not do lame-brain time management things like some coaches.)

The only reason we need a 3rd QB is so that Brady and Cassel don't get sore arms in training camp.

VJCPatriot said:
I wouldn't mind Blake as a backup. Didn't he backup for the Bungles a few season back and look ok?

His numbers with the Bungles

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
1994 Cincinnati Bengals 10 9 306 156 51.0 2154 7.04 76 14 9 19/120 28 9 76.9
1995 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 567 326 57.5 3822 6.74 88 28 17 24/152 40 10 82.1
1996 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 549 308 56.1 3624 6.60 61 24 14 44/278 35 11 80.3
1997 Cincinnati Bengals 11 11 317 184 58.0 2125 6.70 50 8 7 39/244 25 3 77.6
1998 Cincinnati Bengals 8 2 93 51 54.8 739 7.95 67 3 3 15/79 9 4 78.2
1999 Cincinnati Bengals 14 12 389 215 55.3 2670 6.86 76 16 12 30/168 27 7 77.6

Only drawback is he is pretty old at 36 so I don't know how much he has left in the tank. But still he could run a few games behind center don't you think?

Old? at 36 he's like flutie's baby brother. :D

jimmyjames said:
Based on the assumption that Cassell is the real #2: I vote Ty Detmer. He's been running scout teams for ages, and been involved in a million offenses so he'd be a quick learn of the opposition every week. Has no designs of being a starter. Is by all accounts a great team guy and would be a good sounding board for Brady and teacher to Cassell.
Would probably sign for vet minimum

I'd agree with that.

Tommy Maddox?!?!?! *cough* *cough* *cough*

Oh dear God no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes