PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wait-wait-wait-wait.....Cromartie can't read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he knows how to spell "N.F.L."?

Z! Q! G! C! Jets-Jets-Jets!

jest.jpg

He'll fit in just fine. :singing:

Last edited:
Maybe that's why he prefers man coverage over zone. Think about it, in zone coverages you need some wits about you understanding coverages and thinking quickly based on what you see.

In man coverage it's basically "hey kid, follow that guy around".

Now when I think about it that it will actually work out well for the blitz happy Jets defense.

Good theory, actually.

The ways in which you have to do quick thinking to play man coverage are pretty limited. I've known cats who probably could be great man-coverage CBs if they had the physique.

The real sad part is that the 95% of kids that don't make the NFL wind up with no education and no compensation for giving up their bodies in order to make the schools and the NCAA (and the head coaches) billions of dollars.
They get free tuition, room and board for 4 years. Plus they get to keep playing football (something I would have killed to do after I graduated highschool) So boo hoo for the fools who don't take advantage of a free education, I don't think anyone is shedding any tears for them.

They get free tuition, room and board for 4 years. Plus they get to keep playing football (something I would have killed to do after I graduated highschool) So boo hoo for the fools who don't take advantage of a free education, I don't think anyone is shedding any tears for them.

x2

My room is two doors down from three stars on the Michigan State basketball team, there should be absolutely no pity for any of those guys. They are living the life right now with more opportunities and free crap than anyone else on campus.

x2

My room is two doors down from three stars on the Michigan State basketball team, there should be absolutely no pity for any of those guys. They are living the life right now with more opportunities and free crap than anyone else on campus.

And, after making millions for the school, they will be left without a pot to piss in. Oh, but that's right, they're getting an "education." Please.

Too bad for Cromartie, and probably worse for the program.. in 10 years he will be a page 2 story... or a statistic on a government chart.

OTOH during the combine they spent a lot of time talking about Myron Rolle, a Rhodes Scholar.. there are a lot of marginally intelligent players.. along with a comparable number of intelligent ones..

And, after making millions for the school, they will be left without a pot to piss in. Oh, but that's right, they're getting an "education." Please.

Hahaha, you're right man.

I should feel bad for the guy that has his entire tuition payed for at a major university. Because you know, it's not his fault he didn't take advantage of his academics. He was to busy driving around his brand new Mustang (I wonder how he got that?) and parking it anywhere he feels fit on a 50,000+ person campus. Don't worry though, the boosters pay for every fine you could ever imagine. So they keep doing it, because they are gods among men.

The only people the ex ballers have to blame when they're pissing in pots is themselves.

Is anybody really suprised about this? I mean, this IS FSU that we're talking about. :cool:

And yes, this was one of the many things that I was knocking him about when people were talking about whether or not the Pats should make a move for him.

Is anybody really suprised about this? I mean, this IS FSU that we're talking about. :cool:

And yes, this was one of the many things that I was knocking him about when people were talking about whether or not the Pats should make a move for him.

what about the like 10 kids by 7 different women he has

jesus did he ever hear of protection
(rhetorical question obviously not)

They make millions for the school?

They are one of 100 guys who together with the coaches make about $5 million tops for the top schools, while the next 20 schools break even, and the rest of them are actually in the red. If you looked at the real numbers however with the taxpayers footing the biggest part of the bill and the school not being reimbursed for the $40,000 they shell out per football player (the athletic departments only return tuition, which in many state schools is $5 to $10k) then you realize that the players are not getting $40k of value in schooling, another $15k in room & board, another $35k a player in football training (i.e. football expenses). Each of these guys gets $90k of food, shelter, education and training a year. Multiply that x 100 players and you begin to understand how much more well paid they are compared to, say, a teaching assistant with a 2/1 load who teaches 200 students over the course of a year. Do the math to get a real breakdown about who brings more cash to the school, and you'll be surprised. It's pretty easy to do, tuition divided by 8 classes equals price per course, multiplied by 200 students. It far exceeds what a football player will bring in.

I think college football has gone well past its profitability. I think it's ok for a school to lose a couple million on football because of the value added with campus atmosphere and alumni networking, but when you're taking it on the chin for far more, then it starts being a bad idea. almost every school eats up the profits with expenses. Few make a profit, and no make more than $10 million.

Boulder sized grain of salt. My 5 year old can read faster than 2 words a minute.

ahahahahaha.....I think I'm a little confused.

what's stopping them from getting an education?
it's certainly not the tuition.

That 95% of them are not real students.

The point is that, regardless of how many of them hit the books, 95% will not go on to the riches of a professional sports career. A scholarship (FMV = 20=50k a year) is just not market compensation for the stars of a multi-billion dollar industry.

They make millions for the school?

They are one of 100 guys who together with the coaches make about $5 million tops for the top schools, while the next 20 schools break even, and the rest of them are actually in the red. If you looked at the real numbers however with the taxpayers footing the biggest part of the bill and the school not being reimbursed for the $40,000 they shell out per football player (the athletic departments only return tuition, which in many state schools is $5 to $10k) then you realize that the players are not getting $40k of value in schooling, another $15k in room & board, another $35k a player in football training (i.e. football expenses). Each of these guys gets $90k of food, shelter, education and training a year. Multiply that x 100 players and you begin to understand how much more well paid they are compared to, say, a teaching assistant with a 2/1 load who teaches 200 students over the course of a year. Do the math to get a real breakdown about who brings more cash to the school, and you'll be surprised. It's pretty easy to do, tuition divided by 8 classes equals price per course, multiplied by 200 students. It far exceeds what a football player will bring in.

I think college football has gone well past its profitability. I think it's ok for a school to lose a couple million on football because of the value added with campus atmosphere and alumni networking, but when you're taking it on the chin for far more, then it starts being a bad idea. almost every school eats up the profits with expenses. Few make a profit, and no make more than $10 million.

Instead of using your made-up numbers, let's use the real numbers:

"According to filings college athletic departments make with the U.S. Department of Education, Ohio State is only the seventh most profitable team to go to a bowl this year, with revenue in the football program exceeding expenses by $28.5 million during the 2005-06 school year. Meanwhile Florida is No. 5, with an operating profit of $32.4 million."

Florida had profit edge over Ohio State even before upset - Jan. 8, 2007

These programs are making enormous piles of cash on the backs of the players. The coaches make millions. The NCAA and the colleges own the rights to the players images and names and make hundreds of millions of dollars every year licensing the players' property (their likenesses and images) to EA Sports and others. The only people that don't get compensated are the most deserving of compensation. This is called exploitation, and although it seems a lot of posters resent the special treatment athletes get while on campus, these posters are simply missing the bigger picture. It's beside the point whether a player decides to hit the books. He is WORKING, in many cases, 50+ hours a week for the football program. Why should he not be compensated at a market rate like anyone else who works for an employer? Why should he feel obligated to study? He is a football player, not a student. Because college football is a monopoly, there is no market for his services, so he is stuck, working for the school for four years for a scholarship that costs the school only a nominal amount, while he helps bring in the insane profits noted in the newstory above. The NCAA and the schools have fooled the world with the "student-athlete" moniker, allowing them to pocket enormous profits and avoid obligations like paying salaries or unemployment benefits.

The point is that, regardless of how many of them hit the books, 95% will not go on to the riches of a professional sports career. A scholarship (FMV = 20=50k a year) is just not market compensation for the stars of a multi-billion dollar industry.

Schools are non-profit institutions. A lot of people that bring a lot more value added to the school do not make what they could outside the school. A researcher who patents a product does not see the proceeds from his research (in anything more than higher salary). He brings real value to the school. He makes them money.

The football players, on the other hand, are trading on their affiliation with the university. Most of the people in the stands are either alumni or state taxpayers who affiliate with the school. On their own, in the free market, the players would not make a dime. They'd be as sought after as the NBDL players are. In other words, maybe 2,000 people who go to see the minor league Wilmington Fruitbats play the Milledgeville Mites. That's the free market for college style football. Otherwise people are paying to see the jerseys that say Dear Old state. I'll grant you, however, that college ball would lose some luster and some money if the players took off for minor league ball. But look at baseball and basketball. They still get by.

Understood, but how about the playbook, how does this guy take notes, or have any kind of recall on the field as to what he's being told in the film room?

Its odd to me, thats all. I know 4 year olds that can read.

its not the same as the offensive playbook....especially for CB's.......they're either on a man or in a zone they are reading the QB's moves.....much more important for the LB or S calling the coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST