PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USC's Carroll reportedly will speak to Falcons

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pete is going to come back to the NFL, he should at least wait until something like last year's Chargers situation happens again. That was something he could have come in and win (even Norv Turner did it). Going to the Falcons is just 4 years of frustration waiting to happen.

Granted, a team like last year's Chargers rarely become available...but staying at USC has to be better than going to the Falcons. Hell, going back to the Jets would probably be better than going to Atlanta.

Ugh. The Falcons are going back to a college coach, why again? If Carroll doesn't like it in a year or so, he leaves the Falcons in a heartbeat and he's back in college where any time would love to have him.

And why are they even looking at Carroll in the first place? As we well know, he's perfect for the college game, not so much for the NFL.

If Pete is going to come back to the NFL, he should at least wait until something like last year's Chargers situation happens again. That was something he could have come in and win (even Norv Turner did it). Going to the Falcons is just 4 years of frustration waiting to happen.

Granted, a team like last year's Chargers rarely become available...but staying at USC has to be better than going to the Falcons. Hell, going back to the Jets would probably be better than going to Atlanta.

I totally agree with you there but Pete has always wanted thAt GM/Coach role so I guess he will listen to what Mr. Blanks has to say. I would not leave USC for that job but I wish him all the best on whatever his decision is.

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiments. I really like Pete, he's a good & decent guy, too much so probably to succeed in today's NFL. Furthermore he's still young enough that if squeezes 10-12 more successful years in @ SC he has a chance to go down as one of the greatest college coaches ever. In any event, the only good thing about him taking this job is that the expectations will be zero.

Pete Carroll is a great college coach, but tickle me pete is a horrible pro coach...

Yeah, but you forget the Falcons are barely an NFL team, it will be like coaching a college team.

Yeah, but you forget the Falcons are barely an NFL team, it will be like coaching a college team.

Pete's not the guy for that job UNLESS he has total control over personnel. There are a lot of undisciplined malcontents on that team who'll run roughshod over an easy going coach.

I totally agree with you there but Pete has always wanted thAt GM/Coach role so I guess he will listen to what Mr. Blanks has to say. I would not leave USC for that job but I wish him all the best on whatever his decision is.

There's a problem though. The Falcons already have a GM.... Rich McKay, who I believe also has a seat on the Competition Committee.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I forgot they are also going to give Pete Carroll complete control...

I mean really, why is this a good idea?? Why not look to NFL guys? Did I miss it, or have they considered Schottenheimer? I think that would be a great hire. They need someone to build that team. I am not giving the keys to the kingdom to Pete Carroll, I'm sorry.

Oh yes, I forgot they are also going to give Pete Carroll complete control...

I mean really, why is this a good idea?? Why not look to NFL guys? Did I miss it, or have they considered Schottenheimer? I think that would be a great hire. They need someone to build that team. I am not giving the keys to the kingdom to Pete Carroll, I'm sorry.

Amen...not that they are alike, but didn't Blank learn about college coaches with Bobby Petrino, like, a month ago? Next he'll resign Michael Vick AND grab his brother Marcus.

Amen...not that they are alike, but didn't Blank learn about college coaches with Bobby Petrino, like, a month ago? Next he'll resign Michael Vick AND grab his brother Marcus.

Oh, man, good point. I had already forgotten about Bobby Petrino....gee, that guy made such an impression in the NFL, didn't he?

I agree with your sentiments. I really like Pete, he's a good & decent guy, too much so probably to succeed in today's NFL. Furthermore he's still young enough that if squeezes 10-12 more successful years in @ SC he has a chance to go down as one of the greatest college coaches ever. In any event, the only good thing about him taking this job is that the expectations will be zero.

I ask this with a lot of respect and fondness for Pete Carroll: What's so attractive to these guys about the pros? He's proven that he can coach at the highest level of college, and that the same one-on-one teaching at which he excels doesn't translate well to veteran free agents. USC has a bunch of pro-caliber juniors who want to come back next year, a ton of talented underclassmen, and all the TV time necessary to keep the recruits coming. Plus, he's a California guy.

Does he realize that USC has twice the game-day fan support of Atlanta? Has he ever heard the name Bobby Petrino?

Maybe he's just leveraging a contract extension with USC. Anyone know details of his contract? I couldn't find any beyond an extension in 2005 (details left unavailable).

Pete could be using this to parlay more money out of USC. he could be blowing smoke

At USC, he essentially is getting 12-14 first round picks every year. Does he know that he only gets 1 first rounder in the pros?

Has he compared the USC cheerleaders versus an east coast city?

Carroll would be an excellent choice as a head coach as well as General Manager and would be my top candidate to rescue a team that desparately needs to turn the organization around and help it become a consistent top contender.

:rofl:

BWAHHH HAHHH HA HA HA HA HA .....

BWAHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

if pete's smart he'll stay in college. he's in a good situation right now and is highly respected. dont spurrier yourself.

someone on ATH, i think mariotti, was saying he might as well step up to the nfl since hes accomplished all he could in the ncaa... which to me is totally bogus. he has 1 undisputed title and a partial one, he can do plenty more.

Fellers,

To add more obvious comments here, doesn't anyone in Atlanta remember the job he did in NE as head coach? I mean, he took a super-bowl team and basically went down hill with it. What in heaven's name will he do with a disaster like Atlanta?

What is it with NFL owner's wet dreams about college coaches? Saban? Petrino? Spurrier? Geez louise folks, how many times do these idiot owners need to be burned before they just learn to say no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back