PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talib on P.Manning vs Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have quite the memory.

I have to respect the fan of another team who has the gonads to come here and talk some trash about the Pats. But, to be honest, if I were you I'd pick a different subject than Peyton Manning, this era's Brett Favre.

By the way, here is how most people see it. I'm sorry that I can't tell you who the author is, but I seem to have lost his name;

If this were the Miss America pageant, Tom Brady and Joe Montana would hug now and hold hands and wait anxiously for the name of the runner-up to be announced.

They are the final two contestants on the stage, the last men standing. They are the two greatest quarterbacks of all time.

Peyton Manning was right there with them, holding his own in so many important categories, until Sunday night when he was eliminated from the competition. And poor Peyton couldn’t just quietly walk off the stage and out of the spotlight. No, not Peyton. Even when he fails, he breaks records. He even loses in a big, loud, memorable way.

Manning didn’t just come up short in the Super Bowl. He crashed and burned and burst into flames in front of 111 million people. It doesn’t make him a bad guy — just the opposite; he seems quite human when he implodes — but he was under more pressure than any NFL player ever has faced. And it was too much.

He threw two hideous interceptions — neither of which he would have thrown two weeks ago or two months ago. This moment was just too big for him. The Seattle defense and the significance of the Super Bowl swallowed him whole.

“I think the pressure was just too much,” former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said to us yesterday morning on WEEI. “He clearly looked rattled. He didn’t look like the same Peyton Manning who was throwing the ball all over the place this entire season. He just looked different, and that’s what people are going to remember.”

And now? Now he is out of the most enduring sports conversation. Best quarterback ever? It’s Brady. Or it’s Montana. It’s not Peyton Manning. Can’t be. He became ineligible for that honor Sunday night.

He now is 1-for-3 in Super Bowls. He has fewer rings than Ben Roethlisberger, Jim Plunkett and little brother Eli. He is 11-12 in the postseason. He brought the most prolific offense in NFL history into MetLife Stadium, and together they played like 11 guys who just met on the subway. They scored one touchdown. They were trailing 36-0 when they scored it.

He is the greatest regular-season quarterback ever, but championships matter. Super Bowls matter. You can’t be Miss America if you look like John Goodman in a swimsuit, and you can’t be the best quarterback ever with one title in 16 seasons. Montana won all four Super Bowls in which he played. Brady won three of his five and lost twice to the Giants by a total of seven points.

If Manning had won Sunday, we’d all be bowing before him. He would have been the first QB to win a Super Bowl with two different teams. He’d be in the multiple-ring club, and he’d be in The Conversation. But he didn’t win. Not close. On a 49-degree night and on a neutral field, he lost by five touchdowns. And for much of the night, he looked as over the hill as Joe Namath.

It’s a two-man race now. In the postseason, Brady is 18-8. He has 43 touchdown passes and 22 picks. Montana was 16-7. He had 45 touchdowns and 21 picks. Montana, of course, owns the Super Bowl. He had 11 touchdowns and no picks in his four wins. Brady has nine touchdowns and two interceptions in the big game. Brady has two Super Bowl MVPs, Montana three.

In the regular season, Brady has a big edge on his boyhood hero. At 148-43, Brady is the only starting quarterback more than 100 games above .500. Montana was 117-47. They both won two MVPs. Brady has been named to nine Pro Bowls, one more than Montana. Both played for legendary coaches. Montana had the greatest receiver ever, Jerry Rice, on his side for 77 games spanning eight seasons. Brady threw to Randy Moss for just 37 games in four seasons.

Montana played 192 regular-season games. Brady has played 193. The game has changed, obviously, but Brady has thrown for more yards, more touchdowns and fewer interceptions. In the regular season, at least, he has won more with less. Again, Super Bowls count, but so does everything else. No one would claim Plunkett is better than Dan Marino.

Of course, Brady and Manning have one clear advantage on Montana — they’re not done yet. Manning just won his fifth MVP with 49-of-50 votes. Brady got the other vote. They both, presumably, will be in the playoffs again next year, and since both are in the AFC, they both have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl.

As we sit here today, it’s hard to imagine Manning (38 in March) or Brady (37 in August) beating Seattle or San Francisco. We can all agree that Brady would have lost to this Seattle team, too. Maybe it even would have been a blowout.

But we’ll give him this: He wouldn’t have looked as rattled as Manning did. And he wouldn’t have thrown that first pick. That was a Peyton special.

That’s why Peyton has to leave the stage now. He’s still a great quarterback, but he can’t be greatest ever. Can’t even be in The Conversation.​

2)I hate sliced bread. I'm an uncut loaf guy. I can't help how I feel.
OT: Bread
Ever wonder what was the best thing before sliced bread? It must've replaced something.
According to Wikipedia the prototype bread slicer was in 1912 although it wasn't packaged and sold until 1928. Oh Battlecreek has an undocumented claim that Kellogg used sliced bread.

My vote would be the can opener. (Invented decades after cans. Seriously, you use a hammer and chisel.) One could say the flush toilet, but I want to stay with food. (Who wouldn't want to stay with food?)

I think we need to modernize that saying. I nominate the microwave as the best thing.

SMH.
OK, strngplyr, if that is your name :) (Hey, my mama did not name me lurker1965 so relax. It was a joke.)

Let's use you logic. The Giants won the two most recent Super Bowls the patriots were in. Therefore, by your logic, the most hated team in New Jersey is the Giants.

Broncos as rivals means we had a rivalry before last year. You know, like how the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry goes back to the 1919 trade of Ruth or the Michigan-Ohio State goes back to an actual war. (Yes shots were fired, none in either militia was hit, border moved. Wisconsin lost.:)) what happened to the "rivalry" we had with the Colts?

You're type weakens the word "rival" into whomever is competitive with you. I've seen rivalries. Broncos-Patriots is not one.

The Bronco's became our biggest rivals in 2012 when they signed our biggest rival, Peyton Manning. Whatever team he plays on, as long as its in the AFC, will be out biggest rival until he retires.

We play his team every season, many times twice a season, and each match carries much more weight than ANY game against the Jest's outside of the 2010 divisional round.

Just because a team only recently became a powerhouse does not mean they cannot become out biggest rival.

We could just be arguing over our own personal definitions of what the biggest rival is, but to me, the biggest rival is the team you play every season in what are potentially 1 or 2 of the most important games you play over an entire season. They carry that much impact each year. It only makes it easier to pick them to be the biggest rival when you've faced their quarterback 15(?) times. When an AFCE team can threaten our automatic playoff berth every season i'll very strongly consider calling them our biggest rival again, or when Peyton retires, I'll have no choice but to.

Wrong, strgplry. Are the Raiders or Cowboys rivals of the Steelers? You are saying that they used to be then Bradshaw, Staubach, and Stabler retired.
So you are saying the rival is one man. In an individual sport, like tennis, sure.
In a team sport, that is just incorrect.
Peyton Manning...rival...Patriots - one is a guy and the other is a team.
You might try to fix that by saying Peyton Manning... rival... Tom Brady. That does not work because they do not face each other.
Wait a minute, in 2004 would you say Steelers...rival...Patriots but not Steelers...rival...Ravens?
In 2011 Ravens...rival...Patriots?
Dude, if rival=good team I got 14 years of rivals.:) If it means people let's add Ladainian, and Ray Ray.:)

WOnder what Talib will say when Brady lights him up this year (chances are he will be hurt however) ;)

WOnder what Talib will say when Brady lights him up this year (chances are he will be hurt however) ;)

I don't know if he has to be hurt, I am pretty sure sore would keep him sidelined.

I don't hate Peyton anymore, I just feel sad for him.

It's awesome.

This is a non-story. On to more important things . . .

Sounds like Talib still needs to ice up.

Wrong, strgplry. Are the Raiders or Cowboys rivals of the Steelers?

I honestly cannot believe you asked that. They absolutely were rivals. Steelers and Cowboys fans from that period could not hate each other more because of the importance of the games from that era, same goes for Steelers and Raiders fans.

Trust me, i'm from a family of Steelers fans and live in Steelers nation, if you tried tell someone here that they aren't rivals they'd probably punch you.

I honestly cannot believe you asked that. They absolutely were rivals. Steelers and Cowboys fans from that period could not hate each other more because of the importance of the games from that era, same goes for Steelers and Raiders fans.

Trust me, i'm from a family of Steelers fans and live in Steelers nation, if you tried tell someone here that they aren't rivals they'd probably punch you.
So if the Steelers lose to the Raiders in the wild card round or the regular season their would be more calls for Tomlinson's head than if they lost to Jacksonville? I mean more so than the usual talk radio blowhards. :)

Oh, for you I'll put Bradshaw and Stabler on the sidelines for Steelers vs. Raiders and Bradshaw and, um, an empty seat(?) for Steelers vs. Jacksonville. :)

Last edited:
So if the Steelers lose to the Raiders in the wild card round or the regular season their would be more calls for Tomlinson's head than if they lost to Jacksonville? I mean more so than the usual talk radio blowhards. :)

Oh, for you I'll put Bradshaw and Stabler on the sidelines for Steelers vs. Raiders and Bradshaw and, um, an empty seat(?) for Steelers vs. Jacksonville. :)

I don't even know what your argument is anymore, since when does losing a rivalry game = asking for HC to be fired instantly?

Just stop, dude.

I don't even know what your argument is anymore, since when does losing a rivalry game = asking for HC to be fired instantly?

Just stop, dude.
Apologies to college fans whose rivalry I skip and just use Michigan - Ohio State. I'm sure Texas - Oklahoma is just as virulent if not more so. Ditto Alabama - Georgia, etc.
If Michigan wins the BCS or whatever three years in a row but every year loses to Ohio State, the coach is on the hot seat. That is how a rivalry works.
Are you, strngplyr, saying if Pittsburgh loses to Oakland the Tomlin feels heat? I mean beyond the usual idiot callers to sports radio or a Pittsburgh version of Borges. That is how rivalries work.

And, yes, I heard grumblings about Belichick being out-coached by Rex Ryan from otherwise reasonable people after the Jets loss in the playoffs, but not against the "rival" from another division.

Apologies to college fans whose rivalry I skip and just use Michigan - Ohio State. I'm sure Texas - Oklahoma is just as virulent if not more so. Ditto Alabama - Georgia, etc.
If Michigan wins the BCS or whatever three years in a row but every year loses to Ohio State, the coach is on the hot seat. That is how a rivalry works.
Are you, strngplyr, saying if Pittsburgh loses to Oakland the Tomlin feels heat? I mean beyond the usual idiot callers to sports radio or a Pittsburgh version of Borges. That is how rivalries work.

And, yes, I heard grumblings about Belichick being out-coached by Rex Ryan from otherwise reasonable people after the Jets loss in the playoffs, but not against the "rival" from another division.

The Bronco's, currently, are the Patriot's biggest rivalries. Neither headcoach will feel the heat. BB will never feel heat for losing to any rival, which, according to you, he should be feeling a lot of heat because he's lost a few division games recently.

Losing to a rival means your team has a chance to take a hit in some very important standings, like the playoff type.

Where you got this idea that the HC should be watching his back after losing that one game, I have no idea.

BB will never feel the heat because he has a successful franchise that has been a final 4 team each of the past 3 years, regardless of who his team loses to. Please stop with this nonsense.

I'm not sure you even know what point you're trying to make anymore talking about "grumblings" about BB losing to the Jets and not the Bronco's. Why are we talking about the coaches?

I'm also probably done with this argument unless I just can't resist, you're getting way too silly with your ramblings. Each post goes farther and farther out on a limb in a desperate attempt to make a point about head coaches being fired or something of the sort, I don't get it.

It's the cast of characters that have surrounded Tom since his last super bowl win. Anyone who cannot see the **** that was and is being dealt to him don't know Jack ****. Let me tell ya I got a hat that proves I know Jack **** cause he gave it to me (I know Jack ****) Tom Brady Is the best to ever play the game.And for what he has had to contend with proves my point !!! Oh ya case closed

Oh ya forgot to mention this is their year !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The Bronco's, currently, are the Patriot's biggest rivalries. Neither headcoach will feel the heat. BB will never feel heat for losing to any rival, which, according to you, he should be feeling a lot of heat because he's lost a few division games recently.

Losing to a rival means your team has a chance to take a hit in some very important standings, like the playoff type.

Where you got this idea that the HC should be watching his back after losing that one game, I have no idea.

BB will never feel the heat because he has a successful franchise that has been a final 4 team each of the past 3 years, regardless of who his team loses to. Please stop with this nonsense.

I'm not sure you even know what point you're trying to make anymore talking about "grumblings" about BB losing to the Jets and not the Bronco's. Why are we talking about the coaches?

I'm also probably done with this argument unless I just can't resist, you're getting way too silly with your ramblings. Each post goes farther and farther out on a limb in a desperate attempt to make a point about head coaches being fired or something of the sort, I don't get it.
Actually I don't think there are real rivals in pro football.
That said, the teams in your division come closest. I feel safe in saying there is more emotion for the Jets than any other team.
Of course I'm not like you considering that one person can be a rival in a team spot. :)

That you do not think coaches should watch their backs after emotional losses (all rivalries carry emotion) means you do not understand humans. (Free lesson for you, emotional people sometimes are a wee bit rash.:))

The point is that the Broncos are NOT a rival for the Patriots. It doesn't matter what one guy they sign. One guy, or even two or three, does not make a rival for 53 guys. 3 (being generous giving you Manning, Welker, and Talib) does does not equal 53. Heck, if only starters on offense count, it still does not equal 11.

That you insist on a Bronco - Patriot rivalry is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe