Status
Not open for further replies.

nabwong

Vice President of Boycott NFL Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The detroit game had me thinking.

The problem I have with this rule is this. What if Gary Kubiak threw the challenge flag? Does it still cancel the review for Detroit? If so, that is a huge unfair advantage.

Discuss.

We definitely need someone to explain the logic behind the Jim Schwartz rule.

The gutless NFL will never do it, but they should immediately drop that idiotic rule and apologize for issuing it in the first place. There's just no justification that throwing a challenge flag for an obvious missed called should result in a free 7 points for the other team. Shameful.

I just looked in the rule book. Section 9. Instant replay.

All it says is:
Penalty: For initiation a challenge when a team is prohibited from doing so: Loss of 15 yards.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012 - Rule Book.pdf

Nothing about canceling out the automatic review.

PS: You know what? Why do I even bother? I just saw a whole team of refs call a Tampa Bay touchdown a fumble last week when the entire TV audience could see it was a touchdown so I doubt it would have mattered here either. They do what the hell they want to do anyway.:mad:

Last edited:
Once upon the time, I was a huge NBA and Celtic fan. Then, I just stopped following both as I became more and more dismayed with NBA officiating and how the rules of the game were enforced.

I'd hate to wake up someday and find my passion for football and the Patriots has been lost because of the same thing.

Between personal foul and pass interference penalties and nonsense like allowing a touchdown when the player was clearly down because a coach asked for a challenge when one is automatic makes me wonder if that day might come.

The rule is idiotic, but what I can't believe is that this is week 12 and they're still some coaches that apparently don't know that all scores are reviewed.

The rule is idiotic, but what I can't believe is that this is week 12 and they're still some coaches that apparently don't know that all scores are reviewed.

All that tells me is that the NFL has gotten ridiculously complex with their rules and it takes more control out of the hands of the coaches and puts it more in the hands of the refs. Easier to manipulate the game.

Again, I still don't even see it in the rule book, so if Jim checked the online PDF I don't blame him.

Ok, wait wait wait. Kinda sorta watched this game at the family gathering and wasn't sure what happened in that long TD run. On he replay it was clear he was down but, amid the fam stuff, I couldn't tell what happened. Did Detroit challenge? Can some please fill me in?

Ok, wait wait wait. Kinda sorta watched this game at the family gathering and wasn't sure what happened in that long TD run. On he replay it was clear he was down but, amid the fam stuff, I couldn't tell what happened. Did Detroit challenge? Can some please fill me in?

Yeah Schwartz tried challenging, which he shouldn't have because it's automatically reviewed.

That's a 15 penalty....but this time the refs said it also cancels out the automatic review.

First time I hear about it. The issue of course is, that if a referee blows a call and calls a non-touchdown a touchdown then you could theoretically throw the flag, and it prevents the automatic review....thereby forcing a bad call to stick.

Last edited:
the rule isn't stupid, its the punishment that's inappropriate. It should be a 5 yd delay penalty. It would be too harsh, but I could at least justify an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. But to also take away the review, and allow an illegal play to go unresolved is without doubt the harshest single penalty in the history of the NFL.

I'll say one thing for Walt Coleman. He knows his silly rules. Guy has to be an attorney.

:rofl: Remember when everyone talked about all the mistakes the replacement refs made and the regulars never made such errors? :rofl:

As bad as that GB-Seattle call was, this one was worse. And the replacements never lost 1:13 into thin air like the regulars did in San Fran last week. :singing:

This explains why some coaches will hold the flag in their hands and have a discussion with the referee before tossing it.

I thought the leagues objective, in having the review system in place, is to get calls right should their refs have clearly been shown to have screwed up?

If so, this incident was a serious blow to that objective.

It's crazy how the media is covering the fact that everyone on the field knew that guy was down except for him and the refs. It was completely blown and that's why it's bad for the sport in general that the NFL caved to these part time, half-assed refs.

the rule isn't stupid, its the punishment that's inappropriate. It should be a 5 yd delay penalty. It would be too harsh, but I could at least justify an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. But to also take away the review, and allow an illegal play to go unresolved is without doubt the harshest single penalty in the history of the NFL.
I have no doubt this rule will be changed into the offseason where it's still a penalty but also still gets reviewed.

I don't even understand the logic of the rule. If a team still has a timeout and still has challenges, they should be allowed to throw the flag. All they do is hurt themselves if the play doesn't get overturned.

I thought the leagues objective, in having the review system in place, is to get calls right should their refs have clearly been shown to have screwed up?

+1 +1 +1.

The NFL's logic is idiotic. Essentially they're saying "you delayed the game by throwing your flag, so we no longer care about getting the correct call."

Another black eye for the league.

Last edited:
I can see this becoming a huge freaking problem that is so easy to exploit.

Just one obvious that pops into my head is that after every clear pass interference blown call that benefits your team, teach your players to run it for a touchdown, then immediately throw the red flag....boom...can't be reviewed.

If the player doesn't get his feet down...throw the red flag.

If he doesn't maintain possession, throw the red flag.

But again, I didn't see it in the NFL rulebook. I still want the NFL to actually officially confirm this procedure. Methinks those refs pulled that rule out of their ass.

In other words, two negatives do not make a positive.

I can see this becoming a huge freaking problem that is so easy to exploit.

Just one obvious that pops into my head is that after every clear pass interference blown call that benefits your team, teach your players to run it for a touchdown, then immediately throw the red flag....boom...can't be reviewed.

If the player doesn't get his feet down...throw the red flag.

If he doesn't maintain possession, throw the red flag.
Whuh huh? :confused: It's an atrocious rule but I don't see how it can be deliberately exploited.
But again, I didn't see it in the NFL rulebook. I still want the NFL to actually officially confirm this procedure. Methinks those refs pulled that rule out of their ass.
No, the same rule was applied in one of the games last week or two weeks ago. They aren't making it up. This is just the first time it has happened on the national stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back