PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss is being silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fencer said:
He's sticking by his prediction of 11-5, which means 6-4 the rest of the way after a 5-1 start. If the Pats sweep the next three games, he'd consider changing that.

Way to be ahead of the curve there, Mike!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/10_24_06/?page=2

it is not unreasonable to see us lose to Indy, Chicago, Jax, Minn, and either the Jets or Miami

do I think that we will lose 4 more? not really

do I want us to lose 4 more? nope

but I'm also not looking at playoff seeding while we are sitting at 5-1 either...

They say that Reiss is the Pats 'inside man' so maybe he's trying to start a trend in the media of undershooting to help motivate the Patriots as requested by the Coach? Just kidding. Mostly.

Flying Fungi said:
it is not unreasonable to see us lose to Indy, Chicago, Jax, Minn, and either the Jets or Miami

do I think that we will lose 4 more? not really

do I want us to lose 4 more? nope

but I'm also not looking at playoff seeding while we are sitting at 5-1 either...

Totally agreed. I suspect we will go 12-4, personally.

Brownfan80 said:
They say that Reiss is the Pats 'inside man' so maybe he's trying to start a trend in the media of undershooting to help motivate the Patriots as requested by the Coach? Just kidding. Mostly.

He wants to keep it real. 13-3 is a helluva great record, and 11-5 is just a much more likely outcome for ANY team. I still say 13-3, cause I'm trying to undershoot and help motivate Brady. After all, he likes those 14-2 years. ;)

We should go easy on Reiss when he tries to make predictions.

We all know how uncomfortable he gets whenever he has to say something that Stacey James hasn't sent him a press release about...

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
He wants to keep it real. 13-3 is a helluva great record, and 11-5 is just a much more likely outcome for ANY team. I still say 13-3, cause I'm trying to undershoot and help motivate Brady. After all, he likes those 14-2 years. ;)

Agree. We won't lose to the JETS at home even though it could be a tough game because it's those seat of the pants offenses we struggle against because it's hard to anticipate what they will do. Miami sucks but could be loaded for bear facing us in Miami with Saban reaching for straws to point to for 2007. Cleo Lemon could be under center by then. Jax is stumbling over it's QB again and I never fear Byron. He's the kind of shallow thinker BB and DB's eat for lunch.

Minn on the road on a Monday night, Miami on the road late, Chicago and Indy here. I can't imagine we lose more than two of those but **** happens (including the inury report kind). Without Seymour this week, which is likely what we will be, Minnesota is a lot tougher game.

Last edited:
Fencer said:
He's sticking by his prediction of 11-5, which means 6-4 the rest of the way after a 5-1 start. If the Pats sweep the next three games, he'd consider changing that.
Well, I predicted 13-3 and so far that prediction looks good. I marked Denver as a win and Cincy as a loss so those balanced out.

Maybe I am being too conceited, but I don't consider Minnesota much of a threat... in fact, I see only 2 tough games left on the schedule - Indy and Chicago - and both of those are at home.

Last edited:
The issue with those "lose-able" games is that for Reiss's scenario to work out to 6-4, they'd have to lose ALL the hard games on the schedule. I don't see that happening. The next month will tell us a LOT about this team. If they can't win any of the difficult games on the sked, they're not nearly as good as we thought.

From listening to Reiss last year on Felger's show, I can say that while he's undoubtably strong on reporting actual facts backed up by talking to the people who actually know what they're talking about, when he's asked to speak off the cuff about football, he actually is not a very good analyst. He kind of has "big-star-itis", and while he can reiterate the Belichickean stance on things, he doesn't seem to completely understand it.

That's fine, since it doesn't invade his reporting in a Borges/Felger type of way. As long as he does his primary job of reporting the facts of a situation as well as he's doing, I don't care about his analysis.

The Bills game was tougher on the team than it looked on the scoreboard, in my opinion. Physically tough. Brady took his lumps.

If they don't have a let down next week, and take care of a lesser team like they should, i'm gonna feel good, because it means that these guys are immune to trap games. That has been a hallmark of this team recently, and the reason that they get those 14-2 type records.

Does anyone think we could win out? part of me thinks it is very very piossiable the way we can run the ball

A.C Vegas said:
Does anyone think we could win out? part of me thinks it is very very piossiable the way we can run the ball

Anything is possible. My gut instinct is no chance in hell. The Pats ALWAYS find a way to drop a game so that Belichick has something to be grouchy about. :D

A.C Vegas said:

I do, but I don't think they will.

Oddly enough, it is not the two behemouths on the horizon that scare me, as I think NE will topple both Indy and Chicago with more ease than most think.

I worry about this week's game, the second Miami game and I always fear a road stinker against a bad team. That seems to happen every time NE has a SB season, which I think they are headed for. One early season loss to a good team, and one loss to a crap team on the road.

A.C Vegas said:

No offence, but I think that's ten times more unrealistic than Reiss's suggestion that the original poster called 'silly'.

Not directly related but at preseason, the Pats were about +950 to win the Super Bowl. Today you can still get +850 so the betting market doesn't believed that the Pats have outperformed expectations to date, or at least not by much.

I already have a paycheck on over 10.5 wins and would win about a paycheck and a half if the Pats win the Super Bowl.

SoCal Bong said:
Not directly related but at preseason, the Pats were about +950 to win the Super Bowl. Today you can still get +850 so the betting market doesn't believed that the Pats have outperformed expectations to date, or at least not by much.

I already have a paycheck on over 10.5 wins and would win about a paycheck and a half if the Pats win the Super Bowl.

Where are you betting at? Sounds like good money to me. Do you have a link?

SoCal Bong said:

I'm not about to go into the betting sites, but I was very sure about four teams O/Us this year

Miami under 9
NE over 10.5
NYJ over 5.5
Baltimore under 9

Only Baltimore appears to be a risk, but I'm still pretty certain that they will be a push at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference