Not open for further replies.

JoePats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

TE Pollard to join Pats
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
April 22, 2008 08:44 PM

Continuing to add parts to their roster that will potentially offer them more flexibility in the draft, the Patriots reached a contract agreement with tight end Marcus Pollard today, according to a league source.

The 36-year-old Pollard enters his 14th season in 2008. He caught 28 passes for 273 yards and 2 touchdowns last season, in his lone year with the Seahawks. He previously played for the Colts (1995-2004) and Lions (2005-2006).

Pollard (6-3, 255) joins a tight end group that includes Benjamin Watson, David Thomas and Stephen Spach.

more TE depth...wonder how this affects the draft?

Is he known as a blocker? Because that seems to be the need.

Last edited by a moderator:
More of a receiving tight end, and kinda old. But I remember him being Ok with the Colts. Still no Adam Seward. :(

TE Pollard to join Pats
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
April 22, 2008 08:44 PM

Continuing to add parts to their roster that will potentially offer them more flexibility in the draft, the Patriots reached a contract agreement with tight end Marcus Pollard today, according to a league source.

The 36-year-old Pollard enters his 14th season in 2008. He caught 28 passes for 273 yards and 2 touchdowns last season, in his lone year with the Seahawks. He previously played for the Colts (1995-2004) and Lions (2005-2006).

Pollard (6-3, 255) joins a tight end group that includes Benjamin Watson, David Thomas and Stephen Spach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, 36 y/o at tight end? Holy moly, does he have any knees left? If he can play, great, but man, I'd be a little surprised if this guy lasts past training camp. Hope to god it's vet minimum and virtually no cap hit even if we keep him...

Wow, 36 y/o at tight end? Holy moly, does he have any knees left? If he can play, great, but man, I'd be a little surprised if this guy lasts past training camp. Hope to god it's vet minimum and virtually no cap hit even if we keep him...

This late, it's gotta be the vet minimum.

Could do worse with your #3TE I suppose ... like excerpt says, this is mainly for draft flexibility. I still fully expect NE to draft the requisite second day TE to be cut in training camp.

I would have preferred that they saved the cap room.

He's was avg at best in his hay day blocking.. His forte was running down the middle.

Isn't he the one that said before the 2003 AFCCG "We're already getting fitted for our rings"?

I would have preferred that they saved the cap room.

I don't believe a vet minimum contract counts against the cap. BB values experience and the Pats need depth at TE. Low risk maneuver that makes sense imo. Pollard still had over 250 yards receiving at age 35. I don't think another year will make a huge difference. Besides he's a Tight End, not a WR.

"They should just give us the rings now"

I don't really like Pollard. Oh well, he's just a depth guy. Maybe he can learn to shut his fat mouth before big games.

Last edited:
"They should just give us the rings now"

I don't really like Pollard. Oh well, he's just a depth guy. Maybe he can learn to shut his fat mouth before big games.

Yes, he's a depth guy. It's a good signing - they are cheaply adding a guy with considerable experience to the roster going into the draft, which means if things don't fall the way they'd like come Saturday and Sunday, they aren't screwed if they fail to draft a TE they like.

Last edited:
I can't vouch for Pollard's blocking skills, but he takes pride in it at least:

Blocking was key … blocking was very key,” Pollard said. “I think I learned a lot having to block for Edgerrin and pass-protect for Peyton and allow Marvin and Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley get down the field and make some plays that way. To me, I'm not new to blocking and I'm not ashamed to block and I actually enjoy it because it gives me an opportunity to show the defensive ends that I'm a tight end, but I'm not a slouch. So to me that is where I separate myself from a lot of tight ends."

That’s precisely what the Seahawks are counting on - an accomplished receiver who enjoys proving himself as a blocker.

http://www.seahawks.com/News/News.aspx?id=48752

Isn't he the one that said before the 2003 AFCCG "We're already getting fitted for our rings"?

He's also the guy who the Pats' DB's held right in front of the refs on successive plays late in that AFCCG that led to the League cracking down on defensive holding/PI the next season. I had it TIVOed and watched that one over and over--it was literally right in front a ref (from about 3 yards away).....

I don't believe a vet minimum contract counts against the cap.

It will, but not by much. It'll knock a $370k hit off the cap, so it's a net gain of about $50k or so.

Last edited:
He's also the guy who the Pats' DB's held right in front of the refs on successive plays late in that AFCCG that led to the League cracking down on defensive holding/PI the next season. I had it TIVOed and watched that one over and over--it was literally right in front a ref (from about 3 yards away).....

Pure BS, Pollard ran right into our defender who grabbed him rather than get knocked over on his butt. One of those plays was a hold, the other was offensive pass interference, much more blatant than the one called on Troy Brown in the 07 AFCCG which took away what would have been the winning points for the Patriots.

So, 250 catches last year and 2 TDs... that means what, 500 catches and 10 TDs this year receiving from Brady? :D

(Yes, I am a homer...)

Ya, he whined after losing that game.

Still remember him whining as a Colt. Gonna be hard to root for him, quite frankly. He's not known for his blocking, so I don't understand this signing.

Pollard is a fine veteran signing. As of now, he'll make the team, beating out Spach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back