PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Jags Sound FX: Jags sounded extremely petty over PI call at end of half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Go to 7:45 mark.

Marrone literally went and told the refs that they cost them 7 points.

1. That play was only on first down. Pats would’ve had plenty of time to score anyway.

2. It only moved the ball to the 15. You’re supposed to have such a damn great defense. Make the stop instead of making excuses.

They had all the talent in the world to beat us. But they sure as hell didn’t have the mental toughness or coaching to do so.

Comment by footballzebras.com in their live-blog about the PI on Bouye and the down-by-contact on Jack on the fumble:

1:17 | 2nd qtr. A defensive pass interference foul on A.J. Bouye set up the Patriots in the goal-to-goal situation. There was some mutual hand checking which neither team gains an advantage on. However, before the ball arrives, Bouye takes two hands which effectively takes the receiver off the route. The advantage tips, which is cause for a flag.

13:53 | 4th qtr. Looking back to the fumble recovery by the Jaguars early in the 4th quarter, there is a question as to whether Myles Jack is down by contact. Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent's hands, so this is deemed as "contact" by the Patriots as Jack begins to take control. Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact. The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point. This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery.">
13:53 | 4th qtr. Looking back to the fumble recovery by the Jaguars early in the 4th quarter, there is a question as to whether Myles Jack is down by contact.

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Jack begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery.

Comment by footballzebras.com in their live-blog about the PI on Bouye and the down-by-contact on Jack on the fumble.
It is NOT about whether those penalties are justified. They were. Unfortunately, it is all about the PERCEPTION that is left, and it seems to me that the NFLN went out of their way to cement the impression that the Jags got screwed on the PI AND the quick whistle. I'd like to say I was shocked by this biased segment in an otherwise entertaining piece, but I can't.

It is NOT about whether those penalties are justified. They were. Unfortunately, it is all about the PERCEPTION that is left, and it seems to me that the NFLN went out of their way to cement the impression that the Jags got screwed on the PI AND the quick whistle. I'd like to say I was shocked by this biased segment in an otherwise entertaining piece, but I can't.
It just cemented that the impression that the Jaguars were acting like crybabies over a totally obvious and justified PI call.

There's no point arguing with salty Jags fans, so I've gone the opposite direction and just poured on the salt.

"Well yeah, of course the NFL doesn't want the Jaguars in the Super Bowl, you can't blame them," or "Of course nobody is going to let you guys go to the Super Bowl, it would be embarrassing to see the entire Jags fan base of 15 people show up for the game."

I actually like Bortles now. He's not a great QB, don't get me wrong. But he rolls with the punches, doesn't take **** too seriously, and seems to genuinely enjoy playing football. Like when he was running against the Steelers and called for a block, then smiles when Mike Mitchell gets blown up:

This is a good young team on the rise and I expect to see them competing again next year. But their fan base, which has suffered for so long, has no idea how to act when their team is good. They're a whiny bunch of ****ers and they all seem to have taken on the persona of Jalen Ramsey.

Marrone's whining was ridiculous at the time, but he couldn't let it go and it was shocking to see him bring it up again later. It seemed to really affect them. I'd be surprised if Coughlin didn't have a word with him in private about needing to move on from things like that during the game.

They are whining about nothing. The refs did a good job and didn't over officiate the game. There were only two games all year that I thought were unfairly officiated. That's not to say there weren't more games that were badly officiated. It was just that in those games teams got screwed equally at different times. The two games were Carolina where the Pats got screwed and the first Buffalo game where I even as a Pats fan through the Bills had a good case to complain.

Last edited:
Controversy created by media over nothing. The PI was textbook. Had this not been hyped as "controversial" few would have noticed.

There just weren't any real bad calls in the game. That's no small thing because lots of games have calls that with the hindsight of slow motion were wrong. In this case hindsight just confirms all the calls.

The ref argument in this particular game is an odd one. Really just comes down to Patriots fatigue and a desire to whine about everything. I have been hearing about how bad the refs are since the mid 70's and it will never end.

If you read a game day thread of any fan site their team is getting hosed by the refs. If there is a GDT about 2 different teams playing the team they are rooting for will be the one getting hosed. People see what they want to see and when 90% 0f the country hates the Patriots this narrative will not end.

A big part of the narrative/bias is because you only remember or dwell on questionable calls when your team loses. No one has won like the Pats so there are more examples of teams getting "screwed" than the other way around. If a team does not take advantage of the questionable call it gets forgotten quickly as well - no one capitalizes on a situation like the Patriots do. (ie: they went on an 80 yard TD drive against Titans after offsides call - if they had gone 3 and out after that call it barely gets a mention)

I do not recall national outrage over the non holding call against the Giants on the Tyree catch or the face guarding call in the 2006 Colts AFCCG. Pats remember those calls as they were games they lost.

The officiating was pretty good really. They let many penalties go when the constantly held cooks. That’s no issue. This marone guy is stupid. Wasted a lot of energy on stuff he can’t control. Bill out coached him in a big way.

I had the exact same thought watching that. Marrone is focused so intently on the "bad" PI call, and openly blames the ref for giving up the touchdown instead of sending the message to his players that it's their job to overcome these kinds of adversities.

That's what I felt as well. I'm trying to remind myself that I have a slant bias the other way, but knee-jerk that felt like an intentional edit. They did the same thing on the Jack fumble recovery, where I think it's pretty clear that in the act of ripping the ball out at the end he's in contact with Lewis (therefore down). But the video ends that segment with the radio announcer saying, "And he was never touched so he should have been allowed to run for the touchdown." A false statement that never gets refuted, so now THAT'S in people's head too.

I had the exact same thought watching that. Marrone is focused so intently on the "bad" PI call, and openly blames the ref for giving up the touchdown instead of sending the message to his players that it's their job to overcome these kinds of adversities.

That's what I felt as well. I'm trying to remind myself that I have a slant bias the other way, but knee-jerk that felt like an intentional edit. They did the same thing on the Jack fumble recovery, where I think it's pretty clear that in the act of ripping the ball out at the end he's in contact with Lewis (therefore down). But the video ends that segment with the radio announcer saying, "And he was never touched so he should have been allowed to run for the touchdown." A false statement that never gets refuted, so now THAT'S in people's head too.

Yes, it’s in their heads big time as if it’s gospell. I’ve been catching hell all week on that point. See, what the jags wanted was to have the rules not apply to them in this game. That’s what the coach implies by saying “ I can’t believe you made this call in a championship game” ok, what does it matter what game it is? Rules are enforced even in a he super bowl. The refs are not going to watch you grab cooks with two hands and force him out. That’s just how it is.

The Jags were obviously used to getting away with a lot more. Once they took Gronk out of the game they had to expect that they were going to have to play a little cleaner, but its not in their nature to play clean.

If Marrone doesn't think it's PI then he can expect a lot of calls because he's teaching his players wrong.

That's probably why Ramsey can't get over it, his coach has been blowing smoke up his a** about what is and isn't a penalty.

There's a reason talented teams lose.

The Jags were obviously used to getting away with a lot more. Once they took Gronk out of the game they had to expect that they were going to have to play a little cleaner, but its not in their nature to play clean.

No it surely is not in their nature to play clean. You know what’s the most stupid thing on that pi play? He could have played cooks straight up and clean and have a fairly good chance of breaking up the pass. It was lazy on his part to do it like that.

I hope we get more calls our way in the SB and make people even more mad.

That would be hillarious. I’d love it if that happened and Harrison does something to win the game so Steelers go nutts

Yes, it’s in their heads big time as if it’s gospell. I’ve been catching hell all week on that point. See, what the jags wanted was to have the rules not apply to them in this game. That’s what the coach implies by saying “ I can’t believe you made this call in a championship game” ok, what does it matter what game it is? Rules are enforced even in a he super bowl. The refs are not going to watch you grab cooks with two hands and force him out. That’s just how it is.

I would love to see his reaction to getting called for a non-existent penalty like "faceguarding" in a Championship Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back