PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Asante Samuels Holding "Preliminary Talk" per Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia44

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This was posted a couple of hours ago in Ben Mallers' Rumours Column on FOX Sports.

Samuel's agent,Alonzo Shavers,reports that he and that Patriots have had
"preliminary conversations" regarding a contract extension for cornerback,
Asante Samuel.

Shavers sounded upbeat about the talks.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2006/october/25#119006

That's good news if true. Better than that early word we got from the 'insiders' on Cold Pizza a few weeks back. :rolleyes:

That's from Reis' article today, nothing groundbreaking for sure. Much like with The Twig, it all depends on what the player means when he uses the word "fair".

Ben Maller is like rotoworld, essentially just a repackager of other reported info. It's fine for reading, but it's not really a 'source' very often for anything unique

Yes, I wouldn't read too much into that either.

I also think we are much more likely to franchise graham than Samuel. Samuel's cost would be huge, while we could handle Graham's. Regardless whether we franchise them just to trade them, we have to be able to handle the salary cap implications if we franchise them.

All that said, I hope we sign Samuel for a truly reasonable amount. I don't think you can really listen to a lot of what the player/agent says at this point, because often players change their tune once its time to back up their words.

Of course, there are great players who love football, want to win, and aren't just about the money (Koppen, Bruschi, etc). Hopefully Samuel is one of them.

I for one come here first, and am happy to hear things are progressing. Fingers crossed for an Asante extension

Brownfan80 said:
That's good news if true. Better than that early word we got from the 'insiders' on Cold Pizza a few weeks back. :rolleyes:

Really. It would be a good signing at this point, if he keeps up the new found consistency. But you have to wonder what he is asking in comparison to top cornerbacks around the league.

Fingers crossed. :D

a 'preliminary talk', if true, is a positive sign

if he doesn't demand the moon (but BB and SP will not give him the moon either imho...) i'm in favour to keep Asante with us

in the last two games he was absolutely good (Evans ? 1 catch...)

3 INT in the last 2 games-not bad...

I agree, Asante has played really good so far. Do you all think he is playing harder because it is a contract year? If he keeps it up he will be priced way out of our range. IMO who cares -- If he keeps playing like that it will be much easier to win the SB!!! :rocker:

From what I have heard he is a hard worker, but I guess only BB and his people know for sure.

italianpatthepatriot said:
a 'preliminary talk', if true, is a positive sign

I agree, the talks are a step in the right direction. If Samuels is signed, we have two young corners who are trending up.

I will be pleasantly surprised if a signing takes place. If locked up we essentially have secured Koppen & Samuels for the money allocated to Branch and received a first round draft pick. A 3 for one swap.

Also it opens the door to using the franchise tag on Graham which means we would have all key FAs under contract control after 2007... maybe these guys know what they are doing...

Asante certainly improved his bargaining position on Sunday in Buffalo. He made a couple of really first-rate individual plays. Breaking up that pass in the end zone was a big-time play.

hwc said:
Asante certainly improved his bargaining position on Sunday in Buffalo. He made a couple of really first-rate individual plays. Breaking up that pass in the end zone was a big-time play.

What do you think it will take to get Asante signed?

I'm thinking the contract will have to include a double digit signing bonus and average about $5million a season - something like 5 years 25 million with a $10 to 12 million signing bonus. If he's looking to get paid like he's an A+ corner, he'll be wearing a different uniform next season.

All these talks are nice and stuff... but I won't rest easy until I see an official press release saying he has agreed to an extension :)

COME ON ASANTE, BE THE MAN!

it would be a delight to get Asante signed. It is great to hear these rumors.

OTOH, I was surprised to hear that the franchise price for TEs is only $3.3 million.

I have always felt that Belichick pays for real production, not just the featured stats. He did so for Jarvis Green, not even a "starter"in some peoples eyes. Ii have always felt the BB would recognize Grahams real worth and he would get a good contract, just like Jarvis.

Something tells me Graham is gonna leave not because of money. He will leave so that he can go somewhere and catch the ball more.

Why don't someone look around and see what some of the other corners with about Asante's production are getting. One of the things that will do Asante well is that he's hardly ever hurt. He has shown that he will play through injuries.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:
Why don't someone look around and see what some of the other corners with about Asante's production are getting.

The 9th and 10th highest paid CBs in the NFL last year had cap numbers of $3.6 million (from the top ten list for determining the franchise tag).

I don't know if Asante Samuels would be considered a top-10 CB in the NFL. I doubt it, but we've never seen how the Pats grade him.

italia44 said:
This was posted a couple of hours ago in Ben Mallers' Rumours Column on FOX Sports.

Samuel's agent,Alonzo Shavers,reports that he and that Patriots have had
"preliminary conversations" regarding a contract extension for cornerback,
Asante Samuel.

Shavers sounded upbeat about the talks.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2006/october/25#119006

Personally I hate hearing about this, this way !

Agents when dealing with the Pats shouldn't say a thing. They should understand the club's position on inside info. This coming out could actually bother the wrong person.

The best way to hear this goes like this :

Today the Patriots and Asante Samuel came to terms on a long term contract, blah, blah.

JMTC

BrianPat said:
Personally I hate hearing about this, this way !

Agents when dealing with the Pats shouldn't say a thing. They should understand the club's position on inside info. This coming out could actually bother the wrong person.

The best way to hear this goes like this :

Today the Patriots and Asante Samuel came to terms on a long term contract, blah, blah.

JMTC

My point was that ANY news that the Patriots and a possible free agent are talking is good news ,given the Deion Branch fiasco.

edgecy said:
All these talks are nice and stuff... but I won't rest easy until I see an official press release saying he has agreed to an extension :)

COME ON ASANTE, BE THE MAN!

Here are some recent CB signings, make your own guess on where Samuels ranks. According to Miguel the Franchise number (average of top 5 salaries) for Cornerback, $7.226 million

Samari Rolle, Baltimore - 6 years, $30.5 M, $11M bonus, YOB 1976
Fred Smoot, Vikings - 6 years, $34 M, $10M bonus, YOB 1979
Antoine Winfield, Vikings - 6 years, $35 M, $10.8M bonus, YOB 1977
Fred Baxter, Cleveland - 6 years, $30 M, $10M bonus, YOB 1978
Brian Williams, Jacksonville, 6 years, $34M, $10M bonus, YOB 1979
R.W. McQuarters, Giants - 3 years, $6M , $2M bonus, YOB 1976
Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $22.5M, $6.4 bonus, YOB 1980
Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $8M, $2 bonus, YOB 1975
Lito Shepperd, Eagles - 5 years, $25M, $9M bonus, YOB 1981
Sheldon Brown, Eagles - 6 years, $30M, $7M bonus, YOB 1979
Ty Law, Chiefs - 5 years, $31.5M, $4M bonus, YOB 1974
Mike McKenzie, Saints - 5-year, $22M, $4M bonus, YOB 1976

FA class is weak, http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDB.html

Samuels - ???? - YOB 1981
- wow, I didn't know he is so young, he is only 2 years older than Hobbs
My guess, I think he on the rise and while he may never be a top 5 CB he should be a better than average 1st line CB for the entire length of the contract. If the Pats sign Samuels and draft a CB in rounds 1 or 2 cornerback will become a position of strength.

... signs for 5 years - $29M, $8.5M bonus but not with the Pats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes