PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats #1 NFL Overall "Inside the Red Zone" Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Pro Football Weekly stats have the Patriots the #4 rated effective Offensive and the #4 Defensive Red-Zone team, thus making them the #1 overall team (rating 8). #2: JAX: (12); #3: Denver: (16);#4 PHIL: (19); #5 KC: (22); #6 HOUSTON: (23); #7 BALT: (24); #8 PITT: (25); #9 DALLAS: (27); #10 MINN: (29);others: #13 CHICAGO:(30); #14 SD: (31);

Kudos to the coaching staff for those high ratings!

Pro Football Weekly stats have the Patriots the #4 rated effective Offensive and the #4 Defensive Red-Zone team, thus making them the #1 overall team (rating 8). #2: JAX: (12); #3: Denver: (16);#4 PHIL: (19); #5 KC: (22); #6 HOUSTON: (23); #7 BALT: (24); #8 PITT: (25); #9 DALLAS: (27); #10 MINN: (29);others: #13 CHICAGO:(30); #14 SD: (31);

you got to love these rankings and I like the Pats chances in the Playoffs.

If the Patriots continue with the efficient, high percentage passing game they ran last week then I like their chances in the playoffs. If they go back to stretching the field as much as they were the percentages are going to catch up with them, drives will stall and we'll be out by week 2.

Red zone efficiency has been a trademark of the Belichick regime. They are usually evry good in it on both sides of the ball. Except there was one fluke year. I think is was 2004. As good as that team was the offense sucked in the red zone...at least for a while.

Shhh!!! Don't tell any of the Josh McDaniels haters about this rating... they might get all riled up and start a new thread about dumping him. Why can't we be #3, 2 or 1 on Offense.. that is a pretty healthy lead over Jax.

And you have to figure the Miami game hurt those stats.

Interesting stat. I think that Dillon's effectiveness in goal line situations has a lot to do with that. Thank you Corey Dillon! The Pats have a seriously good 1-2 punch with Dillon and Maroney.

As long as the Pats can supplement D+M with an efficient passing game to keep the defenses honest we are going places in the playoffs. Make no mistake, our running game is our strength. We just need a gameplan that will avoid other teams shutting us down solely by stopping the run. I know a lot of teams have tried that and some have succeeded (notably Miami).

Interesting stat. I think that Dillon's effectiveness in goal line situations has a lot to do with that. Thank you Corey Dillon! The Pats have a seriously good 1-2 punch with Dillon and Maroney.

As long as the Pats can supplement D+M with an efficient passing game to keep the defenses honest we are going places in the playoffs. Make no mistake, our running game is our strength. We just need a gameplan that will avoid other teams shutting us down solely by stopping the run. I know a lot of teams have tried that and some have succeeded (notably Miami).

Great stats for the Pats, this will be critical in the playoffs. The bend don't break defense (and play to the whistle) gives them a great chance, it takes a lot of FGs to outscore a team. On offense Dillion has been huge, any time you can pound it in on the ground is huge.

The Pats complementary game gives them a real chance against any team. Go Pats!

I agree. Hasn't Dillon scored 11 TDs this season? I think that the other strength is having a couple of big TEs who can be relied on to get open in the endzone.

I think the run game is a strength but I think it could be more efficient with multiple wr sets putting a defense in nickle and then run at them versus the two tight end , one wr set or 2 wr set in the I formation that keep more lb's in there.

I think they struggle against quick lb's(ie. denver, miami). The tighter the formation the more the play must be executed percectly with every person picking up their block.

I like Maroney in space as I'm sure alot of other people do.

I can't wait for Reiss's breakdown of the skill set formations utilized. That's always a good indication at what the Pats are trying to do.

while running backs are our strength, i am not convinced that the running game is our strength. There is a big difference. I know many people like the Oline because it is young and strong, but they really have not come together as of yet. The have lapses that can be very dangerous. Maybe this will correct itself with maturity, but i think we need a solid addition to the line to become better. Dillon has been a horse in the red zone, but i feel LoMo has enough talent to run 1500 yards + Dillon's 400+.

while running backs are our strength, i am not convinced that the running game is our strength. There is a big difference. I know many people like the Oline because it is young and strong, but they really have not come together as of yet. The have lapses that can be very dangerous. Maybe this will correct itself with maturity, but i think we need a solid addition to the line to become better. Dillon has been a horse in the red zone, but i feel LoMo has enough talent to run 1500 yards + Dillon's 400+.

I'll agree with you sofar as saying that the Patriots OL needs to step up their play for the Patriots to continue to win. I think most posters would agree that Light's performance against dominant pass rushers has been... lacking. But that's what makes those rare atheletes dominant. In those types of situations we must provide Light or whoever needs it appropriate help or Brady will spend most of the game on his backside rather than helping our team win the game. The Pats have some talent on the OL. Adding to it in the offseason could only help but I don't know how much cap dollars they want to commit to a free agent since they have had success developing young guys and coaching them up in their own system. Thank you Dante btw. He doesn't get enough credit for what he gets out of the offensive linemen year in and year out. And yes LoMo should only get better with time. The Pats getting him at #21 was a steal.

I think the run game is a strength but I think it could be more efficient with multiple wr sets putting a defense in nickle and then run at them versus the two tight end , one wr set or 2 wr set in the I formation that keep more lb's in there.

I think they struggle against quick lb's(ie. denver, miami). The tighter the formation the more the play must be executed percectly with every person picking up their block.

I like Maroney in space as I'm sure alot of other people do.

I can't wait for Reiss's breakdown of the skill set formations utilized. That's always a good indication at what the Pats are trying to do.

Thats a good point. Maroney in space can do good things as we saw by his recent 27yard TD scamper. But those kinds of things don't really affect red zone stats which is what the topic is about.

I think that the Pats have consciously made a point of using the passing game to set up the run so that they don't get shut down as in the Miami game.

Now as to what formations they are running out of I don't know. I do know that their production has improved over the last two weeks. And I think credit has to go to the coaches for coming up with good gameplans.

I also think that it is notable that this Patriots team has stepped up ever since Brady called them out and asked them to "listen more to the coaches" so to speak.

I think another critical factor to the Pats success recently besides our impressive redzone efficiency is the cut down in turnovers and mistakes. I believe that is an invaluable ingredient of Patriot football that has gotten us many wins in the past - playing MISTAKE FREE football and letting the other teams beat themselves. If we can continue to do that I believe the Pats are in great position to put Lombardi #4 on the shelf come what may. Bring on the Chargers even!

Thats a good point. Maroney in space can do good things as we saw by his recent 27yard TD scamper. But those kinds of things don't really affect red zone stats which is what the topic is about.

True about the red zone topic. Ironically Maroney's td last week was out of the Power I with the one wr. It looks like Evans has dramatically improved as a blocker as many have posted on here. I guess I haven't heard his name called out for mistakes so that's always a good indication.

I think that the Pats have consciously made a point of using the passing game to set up the run so that they don't get shut down as in the Miami game.

Now as to what formations they are running out of I don't know. I do know that their production has improved over the last two weeks. And I think credit has to go to the coaches for coming up with good gameplans.

I also think that it is notable that this Patriots team has stepped up ever since Brady called them out and asked them to "listen more to the coaches" so to speak.

I think another critical factor to the Pats success recently besides our impressive redzone efficiency is the cut down in turnovers and mistakes. I believe that is an invaluable ingredient of Patriot football that has gotten us many wins in the past - playing MISTAKE FREE football and letting the other teams beat themselves. If we can continue to do that I believe the Pats are in great position to put Lombardi #4 on the shelf come what may. Bring on the Chargers even!

I guess we might have Miami to thank for the wake up call and the last two weeks have been awesome. Things are coming together. They're starting to peak. I for one am pleased how they are now comapred with earlier in the season. They are starting to play their best football. I agree on the pass setting up the run.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see maroney get that little dump off pass over the middle like tiki gets. and I also love to see the pats use the delay draw like curtis martin was known for and what larry johnson does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes