Patriots Super Glue O&D Lineman Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So who was the best O & D -Lineman this year. Kind of subjective ... they have different duties and different talents. So ... who is your O & D Lineman of this year & 6TH man either side of the line ... it's your AWARD ... you need not justify it at all.

STEPHAN NEAL .......... TY WARREN......JARVIS GREEN.
292454m.jpg
355694m.jpg
GreenJarvis-Partiots-02-0011.jpg

Is there a way a moderator can set up a fun sticky poll where we members can vote on best players like
toughest player
most over rated
most under rated
worst starter
most overpaid
most underpaid :(
best interviewer
Most Clueless

make it fun.

toughest player
most over rated
most under rated
worst starter
most overpaid
most underpaid :(
best interviewer
Most Clueless

make it fun.

Toughest: Wilfork :\
Overrated: Light
Underrated: Warren
Worst Starter: Light
Most Overpaid: Light
Most underpaid: ..? Wilfork? Warren? IDK
Best Interviewer: :\
Most Clueless: Light in pass protection

Toughest: Wilfork :\
Overrated: Light
Worst Starter: Light
Most Overpaid: Light
Most underpaid: ..? Wilfork? Warren? IDK
Best Interviewer: :\
Most Clueless: Light in pass protection

Very informative. A bias against Matt Light based on a game or two of his career wasn't clear at all.

Very informative. A bias against Matt Light based on a game or two of his career wasn't clear at all.

game or 2? more like 2 of each game from divsion

he can run block..not pass block

game or 2? more like 2 of each game from divsion

he can run block..not pass block

How many career sacks does Dwight Freeney have against the Patriots?

Toughest: Harrison
Overrated: Samuel
Worst Starter: Sauerbraun
Most Overpaid:Marquise Hill
Most underpaid: Warren
Best Interviewer: Dillon. I enjoy his attitude. (this question should actually read "best interview").
Most Clueless:Gabriel even though he's gone.

Toughest: Harrison
Overrated: Samuel
Worst Starter: Sauerbraun
Most Overpaid:Marquise Hill
Most underpaid: Warren
Best Interviewer: Dillon. I enjoy his attitude. (this question should actually read "best interview").
Most Clueless:Gabriel even though he's gone.

i thought he said lineman?

how many does schobel?

10.5 over 6 years, but 3 of them came when Light was hurt last year, and 2 came when Grant Williams was starting.

5.5 over 5 years and 9 games.

That's about a 1/2 sack per game for Schobel against Light.

10.5 over 6 years, but 3 of them came when Light was hurt last year, and 2 came when Grant Williams was starting.

5.5 over 5 years and 9 games.

That's about a 1/2 sack per game for Schobel against Light.

can u explain why Graham has to help out very often? Explain why Schobel/Taylor harrass Brady? also its not about sack #s always..more like pressures

can u explain why Graham has to help out very often? Explain why Schobel/Taylor harrass Brady? also its not about sack #s always..more like pressures

Graham didn't play this year against the Colts. Freeney still had 0 sacks.

Schobel and Taylor are great players. You can't expect to stop them stone cold. But you're exaggerating their pressure.

Skim through these partial breakdowns and tell me how many times Light had problems with Schobel:

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=44033

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=41162

If anyone is an overrated blocker, it's Daniel Graham. I've made to sure to resist those who call him the best TE blocker in the league, because from what I've seen since his injury mid-last season, he has been anything but.

Graham didn't play this year against the Colts. Freeney still had 0 sacks.

Schobel and Taylor are great players. You can't expect to stop them stone cold. But you're exaggerating their pressure.

Skim through these partial breakdowns and tell me how many times Light had problems with Schobel:

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=44033

http://208.109.107.176/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=41162

If anyone is an overrated blocker, it's Daniel Graham. I've made to sure to resist those who call him the best TE blocker in the league, because from what I've seen since his injury mid-last season, he has been anything but.

and how good of a year is Freeney having this year? Hes got 1 move..eventually people catch on and learn to stop the tazmanian spin

maybe im over exagerating how bad Light is but hes the weakest link on the line if it aint Kazcur. For a guy protecting the best QB's blindside..he sure does scare a lot of people

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsdetail&pid=22933&pcid=82

Q: At this point in his career, how much more prepared is Matt Light to deal with someone like Jason Taylor than when he came into the league?

BB: I think experience is a great teacher and Matt has played against Jason a number of times and I'm sure that he's learned from every one of those games and individually some of those plays. It's not just how to block a guy, but how to block them on a particular play, whatever the backfield action is, and what the design of the play is, and how to handle that. I'm sure Matt has learned a lot.

Q: I know guys like Jason give everybody some trouble, but guys like Jason and Dwight Freeney, speed rushers, seemed to be the guys they gave Matt the most problems. Are there adjustments that he's made over the course of his career to be better equipped to deal with those guys?

BB: Like you said, I really can't think of a player that Jason Taylor hasn't given problems to. I think he's one of the hardest guys to block in the league. Guys that have great upfield speed and quickness and explosive power, speed is one of Taylor's assets, but it's certainly not the only one. He has plenty of other things that are a function, or a compliment, to the skill that he has, or that move that he has. I think if you take that away, that's why he's such a good player, because if you take one thing away, he has other things that he can complement that with. I think that other players that have the same attributes that Taylor, or Freeney, or [John] Abraham, or guys like that, have speed but speed only, I think you can neutralize that or certainly you have a better chance of neutralizing that than you do if it's that plus three or four other things. That's what makes Taylor, to me, as good a player on defense as I've seen this year.

Q: How were you able to do so well against him the first time around?

BB: I think he gave us problems. He gave us plenty of problems. Again, first of all you have to block him. That's the most important thing. You try to set up things that minimize his strengths and try to attack what you perceive are, I'm not saying weaknesses, but there are some points of his game that aren't quite as strong as some others. I wouldn't say they're really weaknesses. He's great at some things and very good at some other things and so you try to get the very good range more than the great. But that's kind of how you have to deal with him and try to utilize things that your team is comfortable with and schemes that you're familiar with that you know you can execute against him. He's hard. He's a great player and it's hard to find him. You don't always know where he's going to be. They move him around a lot. He's equally adept at playing a number of different spots and they use him enough as a decoy where you kind of load things up for him and then they bomb you from the other side. They do a good job of keeping you off balance and Jason does a good job of keeping you on balance because he has a number of different techniques in his repertoire to deal with different problems so you don't always know exactly what he's going to give you.

Q: Are they still standing him up some and dropping him into coverage?

BB: He does drop into coverage. He's not up on his feet much. Very, very little. But, that doesn't mean he won't drop. You have to treat him as a down lineman. At times he'll play as a linebacker, so then you have to make that adjustment once that happens. I don't think you'll know too often until after the ball is snapped because they don't really give it away.

Q: Do they move him around before the snap? Will they shift him inside before the snap or anything like that?

BB: I don't know exactly how they organize it, but he has some degree of freedom as to where...he can line up pretty much anywhere. I'm sure it's organized in their mind, but from an offensive standpoint, he could be in any one of three or four spots and is lined up in those spots at various times. There's other times where he'll line up in a spot, but it's not always the same spot. Sometimes it's the tight end. Sometimes it's the open side. Sometimes it's the right side. Sometimes it's the left side. It's just a question of how they call it. There's other times where he just kind of floats back there and could end up in a lot of different places and I think anytime you have a player like that, I went through a similar situation with [Lawrence] Taylor in New York. Sometimes he was strong. Sometimes he was weak. Sometimes he was left. Sometimes he was right. Sometimes he was tight end. Sometimes it was the open side. However you want to solve the rules for that particular game and that particular opponent, but you have a lot of variety in you can get into the game and say, 'Well they're doing this, so we'll just do that,' and you're comfortable doing that. With a player like Taylor -- Jason or Lawrence, or whoever, you could make those kinds of moves and I'm sure that it's not a problem. Your team can handle it.

Q: Moving him around a lot, could that be the other team's effort to avoid the other team getting a double-team or a key on him?

BB: He's a player that you have to account for and if you don't know where he is, it's harder to account for him. It's harder to scheme for him if you want to run to him and you don't know where he is. If you want to run away from him and you don't know where is. You don't know exactly where he is. It is. It's hard to set up a play. Sometimes you can set up a play, because you know where a player is going to be, and say, 'Okay this is what we want to try to do to this player. We want to screen him or we want to run away from him or we want to double-team him,' or whatever, and you know he's there and you can set that up. In this situation, it's harder to do. You can say, 'Well, we want to run a screen to him.' He might be to the side of the screen. He might not be to the side of the screen. He might be somewhere in the middle. Or you might want to run away from him and just try to run the play away from him, but he might not be away from the play. So then the only way you can do that would be to check the play at the line of scrimmage, come up and say, 'Okay, we're going to do this or that depending on where he is,' and there's a place for that too. If you want to absolutely be right, then that's what it forces you to do. It forces you to identify the defensive line of scrimmage and then try to figure out what you want to do.

LT Matt Light: Did a good job in the running game, but struggled mightily with Paul Spicer in the passing game. Spicer notched a sack, hurried Brady twice more, batted down a pass and consistently generated heat off the left edge of the offensive front. The Patriots gave Light help as the game went on, and as it became clear how their left tackle was struggling.

That said, two more factors played a role in all this. First, the Dolphins sent a ton of pressure up the middle to force tackles Matt Light and Nick Kaczur (who still doesn’t look 100 percent recovered from his shoulder injury) into one-on-one matchups with outside rushers Jason Taylor, Matt Roth and Kevin Carter, which turned out to be big mismatches. Second, the Patriots’ receivers failure to get off the line and get open quick enough gave the rush time to get there. That forced the team, in a lot of cases, to send tight ends and backs out instead of keeping them in to block.

The first play, a shot downfield to Doug Gabriel, was ruined when Matt Light was shoved into Tom Brady by Dwight Freeney, throwing the quarterback off balance and his throw off target

After watching Ryan O’Callaghan and Matt Light against Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel, the same goes for dealing with the Indy pass rush. That’s not to say the Colts will come in and dominate defensively. They’ve struggled far too much for anyone to think anything close to that. It’s just to say that it might be a worse matchup than you’d assume, especially if a hobbled Daniel Graham isn’t back in the fold.

few games i went back to

and theres been a lot more..and u know it

maybe im over exagerating how bad Light is but hes the weakest link on the line if it aint Kazcur. For a guy protecting the best QB's blindside..he sure does scare a lot of people

Weakest link on the line? You've got to be kidding me.

Getting Light back from his injury is one of the best things that could have happened to this line, which is consistently one of the best in the league.

5 years as a starter and a $27 million extension don't speak for nothing.

It's a good thing to know the people negotiating the contracts in Foxborough don't dwell on a few bad plays, draw a conclusion, and damn a player for all eternity.

Weakest link on the line? You've got to be kidding me.

Getting Light back from his injury is one of the best things that could have happened to this line, which is consistently one of the best in the league.

5 years as a starter and a $27 million extension don't speak for nothing.

It's a good thing to know the people negotiating the contracts in Foxborough don't dwell on a few bad plays, draw a conclusion, and damn a player for all eternity.

LMAO 1 of the best OLs? your kidding? we havent giving up many sacks but hes been getting hit..Maroney gets hit in backfield as does Dillon.

we are not a top 8 OL

Light can make a better right tackle. He doesnt fare very well agianst speed rushers. we have all witnessed it. He can run block..a lot of people know that but pass protecting consistently against better competition? Not convinced

our best OL have been Koppen and Mankins.

last year Brady got tackled/sacked just as many times

last year: 26 times
this year: 25 times

^consider last year we had a rookie @ LT and Light was gone last year

Remix 6 said:
LT Matt Light: Did a good job in the running game, but struggled mightily with Paul Spicer in the passing game. Spicer notched a sack, hurried Brady twice more, batted down a pass and consistently generated heat off the left edge of the offensive front. The Patriots gave Light help as the game went on, and as it became clear how their left tackle was struggling.

One game. Not the whole story.

Remix 6 said:
That said, two more factors played a role in all this. First, the Dolphins sent a ton of pressure up the middle to force tackles Matt Light and Nick Kaczur (who still doesn’t look 100 percent recovered from his shoulder injury) into one-on-one matchups with outside rushers Jason Taylor, Matt Roth and Kevin Carter, which turned out to be big mismatches. Second, the Patriots’ receivers failure to get off the line and get open quick enough gave the rush time to get there. That forced the team, in a lot of cases, to send tight ends and backs out instead of keeping them in to block.

Light having trouble one-on-one with Jason Taylor? God forbid.

Remix 6 said:
The first play, a shot downfield to Doug Gabriel, was ruined when Matt Light was shoved into Tom Brady by Dwight Freeney, throwing the quarterback off balance and his throw off target

Again, just a microscopic situation, but Light was hardly "shoved." He got slowly backed towards Brady, who could have very easily sidestepped and had plenty of time to throw it.

After watching Ryan O’Callaghan and Matt Light against Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel, the same goes for dealing with the Indy pass rush. That’s not to say the Colts will come in and dominate defensively. They’ve struggled far too much for anyone to think anything close to that. It’s just to say that it might be a worse matchup than you’d assume, especially if a hobbled Daniel Graham isn’t back in the fold.

Gotta love those prognostications of doom, especially when they turn out to be false.

Light can make a better right tackle. He doesnt fare very well agianst speed rushers. we have all witnessed it. He can run block..a lot of people know that but pass protecting consistently against better competition? Not convinced

It's obvious that Belichick and Scarnecchia share your opinion, as Light has done a pretty good job playing RT these past 6 years.

Remix 6 said:
we are not a top 8 OL

Did you have a problem with the 2004 OL? What about 2003?

Do you believe those two lines were better?

Remix 6 said:
our best OL have been Koppen and Mankins.

And Light. And Neal.

It's a very balanced group.

He did. But I thought it was more interesting this way.

Actually Sooner ... you are right .. I meant all players.

Don't be afraid to make your own and add to this list everyone.
toughest player
most over rated
most under rated
worst starter
most overpaid
most underpaid
best interviewer
Most Clueless

I forgot mine:
toughest player - Vrabel
most over rated - Hobbs
most under rated - Vrabel
worst starter - Kaczur
most overpaid - Hill
most underpaid - Bruschi
best interviewer - Dillon
Most Clueless - Tie between Hill & Jackson.

Most Interesting: Mankins ... do we know anything about him outside of his Bio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back