PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos strip season tix from holders who didn't attend a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of 2 teams, the Jaguars and the Buccaneers, who have done the same already. I would bet there are others.
In those cases the teams want to double dip. They want the ticket sale for the unused ticket, as well as the sale of tickets to new/last moment fans.

Makes sense from a business perspective but kind of screws somebody who, for example, may have been transferred out of state for a year or two.

For teams like the Jags and Bucs the tickets are probably being sold below face value, and the season ticket holder is simply trying to minimize his loss.

It is a completely different situation compared to a popular venue such as Foxboro (or Denver), where those people who are selling all of their tickets are doing so are looking at it as a money making enterprise, with no interest as a fan of the team.

I still wonder if any sort of conditions were placed on season ticket holders that they had to attend games. On the one hand, it doesn't seem right that scalpers be allowed to gouge actual fans even worse than these NFL teams. On the other hand, the right to season tickets on its own might be a valuable asset to the holders, which they are entitled to utilize at their own discretion.

Think of the kid who got season tickets passed down in a will, instead of say, the cabin. Property rights might be engaged here, could be an interesting legal battle.

there are people who actually own jaguars and buccaneers season tickets?
:eek:
It's either that or make the weekly Sunday trip to Rite Aide to buy stool softener

I still wonder if any sort of conditions were placed on season ticket holders that they had to attend games. On the one hand, it doesn't seem right that scalpers be allowed to gouge actual fans even worse than these NFL teams. On the other hand, the right to season tickets on its own might be a valuable asset to the holders, which they are entitled to utilize at their own discretion.

Think of the kid who got season tickets passed down in a will, instead of say, the cabin. Property rights might be engaged here, could be an interesting legal battle.

Unless there was a PSL paid, I don't think fans have a "right" to season ticket renewals. Teams are smart to make renewals a de facto standard to reward loyalty. If that loyalty becomes profiteering, I think the team's have legal cover to do what Denver did.

Regards,
Chris

I would be beyond shocked if there failed to be language in any season ticket agreements and on season tickets that operates to make sure there is no property interest in season tickets that can be enforced against the team outside of the current season.

Last edited:
This is a great concept, go after those bastards that just buy up season tickets like they're assets to farm and up-charge for profit to people who actually want to be at the game

I hope they investigate and have all the facts before making a decision to pull tickets tho, but it sounds like they were given a chance to explain themselves as well so this is great! Maybe if Kraft enables this, tickets to a single Pats vs Bengals game won't cost $800! :eek:

I am not sure what people want though. If you sell your ticket you could lose yours? Does that mean you just give it to a friend or don't go. There are a huge # of people who might want to see a game, some from a long ways away, and a very limited supply of single game tickets that are hard to get. So the resale provides opportunity for these fans to go. When I came last year, my brother and I spent $1000+ for 2 tickets, stayed 3 nights in Boston and spent a good bit eating, drinking etc. I wanted to see Brady play one time (it was the Bengals game). I did not feel ripped off (except the hotel price). If there is no way to get tickets to a single game, that is a big FU to your fans.

I am not sure what people want though. If you sell your ticket you could lose yours? Does that mean you just give it to a friend or don't go. There are a huge # of people who might want to see a game, some from a long ways away, and a very limited supply of single game tickets that are hard to get. So the resale provides opportunity for these fans to go. When I came last year, my brother and I spent $1000+ for 2 tickets, stayed 3 nights in Boston and spent a good bit eating, drinking etc. I wanted to see Brady play one time (it was the Bengals game). I did not feel ripped off (except the hotel price). If there is no way to get tickets to a single game, that is a big FU to your fans.

Ticket exchange.. there would still be a way to get tickets and you would get them at fair market value, not over-inflated prices

Although those overinflated prices are never going to go completely away because they sell thousands of tickets to resellers, radio stations, etc as promotional prizes

Ticket exchange.. there would still be a way to get tickets and you would get them at fair market value, not over-inflated prices

Although those overinflated prices are never going to go completely away because they sell thousands of tickets to resellers, radio stations, etc as promotional prizes

Actually I got them at fair "market" value - Stub Hub is a true market. The market for tix for any single game is going to usually have higher prices than when sold as season tix - cause the demand for single game tickets is much higher. I might pay $500 for one ticket but not $4000 for 8.

Generally I agree with this policy. But Devil's advocate just popped up on my shoulder...

So if team owned ticket/seats aren't used by the team for any of 16 games, are they also forfeited back to public. Probably not. Not even probably not, no f'n way. But isn't it the same thing?

In interest of public fairness rather than monetizing season ticket rights. How about this idea. See how many games you went to last year, and that (plus 2) is how many you get to go to this year. The rest are forfeited. If you only go to a few games, then that's all you should be able to buy. If you start going to games again, you get rewarded by getting more next season.

I hope they do this for all the teams, it sucks when ST holders never attend a game and profit off their seats.

When you can get a 12 games of football for under $500, why wouldn't you..

But has it been football in the past 5 years ?

The only thing memorable about the Jags and the Bucs in the last few years were people pissing in those VIP swimming pool suites in Jacksonville and MRSA in Tampa Bay.

Screw ST holders who use their seats as a financial asset. Let folks who want to attend in person go to games.
But, if the season-ticket holder is in fact selling tickets to people who want to attend the games in person, is that not what is happening?

I would be beyond shocked if there failed to be language in any season ticket agreements and on season tickets that operates to make sure there is no property interest in season tickets that can be enforced against the team outside of the current season.
Most tickets on the back say that the ticket is only a "license" to attend. (And I know that you know ) ....that a license is the lowest rung on the property rights ladder, which generally speaking can be revoked at any time.

For teams with decade-long waiting lists, I think some kind of requirement like this is essential. Otherwise season ticket turnover could fall to zero. If you can turn a tidy profit on seats you no longer want, why ever give them up?

For teams with decade-long waiting lists, I think some kind of requirement like this is essential. Otherwise season ticket turnover could fall to zero. If you can turn a tidy profit on seats you no longer want, why ever give them up?
I don't understand why teams are even that lenient. NE (and I'm sure the other ones as well) has verbiage about how tix aren't allowed to be resold except through team-approved channels (like ticketExchange here in NE). So why don't they actually enforce that? They could very easily void tickets sold on Ace/Stubhub/etc. so buyers couldn't get in with them. That'd kill off the online scalping market real fast.

(Which reminds me -- I don't want to see a single penny of taxpayer dollars being spent to enforce anti-scalping laws. There shouldn't even be any anti-scalping laws. If a team/artist/venue/etc. doesn't want its tickets scalped, then let them do the enforcement themselves (such as I just mentioned) and let them sue scalpers for violating the terms of the ticket license if they care as much as they claim to.)

I don't understand why teams are even that lenient. NE (and I'm sure the other ones as well) has verbiage about how tix aren't allowed to be resold except through team-approved channels (like ticketExchange here in NE). So why don't they actually enforce that? They could very easily void tickets sold on Ace/Stubhub/etc. so buyers couldn't get in with them. That'd kill off the online scalping market real fast.

(Which reminds me -- I don't want to see a single penny of taxpayer dollars being spent to enforce anti-scalping laws. There shouldn't even be any anti-scalping laws. If a team/artist/venue/etc. doesn't want its tickets scalped, then let them do the enforcement themselves (such as I just mentioned) and let them sue scalpers for violating the terms of the ticket license if they care as much as they claim to.)

The Patriots embrace it. You can pick up your Stub Hub tickets in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel in Patriot Place, for gosh sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back