PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT "Bill Russell Legend" on Netflix

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
When we speak of the Mt. Rushmore of Boston Sports often overlooked is Bill Russell. The newly released movie about his life and basketball career for the Celtics is really well done. It delves into his roots, his move to Oakland and his career. Lots of great footage and comments by peers, teammates and insight into his family.
Such a fierce competitor, great defender particularly with his epic battles against Wilt Chamberlain.
2 part series, well worth the time.

I enjoyed it. Very small line in there that I liked a lot. BR - "if you want to win alone play tennis"

When we speak of the Mt. Rushmore of Boston Sports often overlooked is Bill Russell. The newly released movie about his life and basketball career for the Celtics is really well done. It delves into his roots, his move to Oakland and his career. Lots of great footage and comments by peers, teammates and insight into his family.
Such a fierce competitor, great defender particularly with his epic battles against Wilt Chamberlain.
2 part series, well worth the time.
Overlooked only by those suffering from recency bias. The only athlete who approaches Russ's ability to will a team to victory is Brady. Russ was the fiercest competitor I've ever seen.

Overlooked only by those suffering from recency bias. The only athlete who approaches Russ's ability to will a team to victory is Brady. Russ was the fiercest competitor I've ever seen.
Could not agree more, I think it was in 1962 that in an effort to boost interest the NBA had teams travel to different places to show their abilities. Fortunately, Newport RI, (Rogers HS) was one of their stops. Absolutely incredible to sit in a small gym about 4 rows back and watch those guys play.. if the intent was to generate interest in the NBA it did what it was intended to do.
Those days were truly glory days, the match ups between Russell and Chamberlain were unparalleled. Interesting stat in his 13 year career as a Celtic, he averaged 22.5 rebounds a game, wow.

Last edited:
Those days were truly glory days, the match ups between Russell and Chamberlain were unparalleled. Interesting stat in his 13 year career as a Celtic, he averaged 22.5 rebounds a game, wow.
I saw Bill Russell at the Garden many times because I had an uncle with season tickets. The Chamberlain match ups WERE must see events. Some great drama back then.

Who ever said it, Russell's best skill was his ability to make everyone around him better. He erased a LOT of defensive mistakes, and that 22.5 rebounds a game isn't something that is going to be approached, in an era when you get 8 or 9 in a game it's pointed out. That being said, the game is much more skillful now. Shooters are just that much better. Back in the 60's hundred point games were the exception, But Russell's WILL to win was at least equal to Brady in its intenseness.

His last title, most people forget, came when the team finished the season in 4th place in the East, and then came Russell the coach and Russell the player in what was TRULY a great last hurrah. Then he walked out the door as both a player and successful HC. Really cool if you were a fan.

However by best and saddest memory of Russell was when my older sister (by 4 years) was out clubbing and met Russell and he asked her for her number. Now Russell didn't know that she came from a family of huge Celtics fans and she knew he was Married. So she turned him down. I, on the other hand, was OUTRAGED by her rejection. Because of her, I had lost the opportunity to meet Russell and become one of his good friends. Alas, I was NOT a happy 8th grader for a few weeks.

Russ was funny. If there was a way to see humor in something, he'd find it.

One of the most wrong/ridiculous/insulting takes by Felger & Mazz is disparagement and dismissal of the titles.

It is astronomically easier to win multiple consecutive titles in the modern, watered down Stern-ized NBA. Unless you're Ainge, and you let Posey walk.

In the 60's the talent was concentrated into fewer teams. This made them better. Most players were not being paid a lot of money. It was tougher. Training and medical technology was barely developing.

It was 19 years before anybody even repeated once after Bill.

Finally, here are the heights of some of his opponents:

Chamberlain 7'1"
Thurmond 6'11"
Reed 6'10"
Bellamy 6'11"
Hayes, Lucas, Lovellette, Kerr, Beaty 6'9"

The game evolved and all athletes of course have gotten stronger over time.

But the competitiveness has dropped due to cultural softening, and depreciation of personal pride and team sacrifice.

Every year, increasingly after 1957, they all desperately wanted to beat the Celtics, and the media attempted to bury them. Think Pats this century, without the league corruption.

I also watched both parts last night. Great series
I met him in the 90‘s and he noticed that my 6 year old daughter was a lefty and sat down with her gave ger some candy and explained to her that left handed people think with the right side of their brain.
She is not very sports minded but when he recently passed she called me to tell me. He left an impression on her
I commented on this earlier in another post

Russ was funny. If there was a way to see humor in something, he'd find it.

One of the most wrong/ridiculous/insulting takes by Felger & Mazz is disparagement and dismissal of the titles.

It is astronomically easier to win multiple consecutive titles in the modern, watered down Stern-ized NBA. Unless you're Ainge, and you let Posey walk.

In the 60's the talent was concentrated into fewer teams. This made them better. Most players were not being paid a lot of money. It was tougher. Training and medical technology was barely developing.

It was 19 years before anybody even repeated once after Bill.

Finally, here are the heights of some of his opponents:

Chamberlain 7'1"
Thurmond 6'11"
Reed 6'10"
Bellamy 6'11"
Hayes, Lucas, Lovellette, Kerr, Beaty 6'9"

The game evolved and all athletes of course have gotten stronger over time.

But the competitiveness has dropped due to cultural softening, and depreciation of personal pride and team sacrifice.

Every year, increasingly after 1957, they all desperately wanted to beat the Celtics, and the media attempted to bury them. Think Pats this century, without the league corruption.

Appreciate this post, including the target emoji, which introduced me to an entire third set that I hadn't notice. What a day!

I also watched both parts last night. Great series
I met him in the 90‘s and he noticed that my 6 year old daughter was a lefty and sat down with her gave ger some candy and explained to her that left handed people think with the right side of their brain.
She is not very sports minded but when he recently passed she called me to tell me. He left an impression on her
I commented on this earlier in another post

When people gave him respect, like kids often did, he was quite a teacher, not just about basketball but about being human. I don't know that any of the other "Mount Rushmore" candidates had that quality about them (don't know anything about Orr).

I always remember the story in Red's book about Russell winking at Red after the opposing center was thrown out of the game. I would so like to see him play in today's game. I don't think anyone could jump like him. Yes, he's athletic.

I always remember the story in Red's book about Russell winking at Red after the opposing center was thrown out of the game. I would so like to see him play in today's game. I don't think anyone could jump like him. Yes, he's athletic.
Russell claimed he had a 48" vertical which might be a bit high. There were some pics of his nose parallel to the rim. I remember Cooz saying during a WBZ Celts broadcast w/ Santos back in the mid-80s saying Russell could touch to top of the backboard.

Insane jumps.

Russell claimed he had a 48" vertical which might be a bit high. There were some pics of his nose parallel to the rim. I remember Cooz saying during a WBZ Celts broadcast w/ Santos back in the mid-80s saying Russell could touch to top of the backboard.

Insane jumps.
There was some controversy about Russ's Olympic BBall participation due to quibbles about his Celtics contract. Russ would have gone to the Melbourne Olympics as a high jumper if he hadn't got the ok for basketball. He had qualified 2nd to the guy who subsequently won the gold medal.

Overall it was pretty good. I wish they went into his post basketball career in a lot more detail. They didn't even bring up the Rick Barry incident. I'm still shocked Bill didn't knock him out. I also wouldn't have minded more of a last dance where they did if not a year per episode then 2 years per episode. There's a lot of details I know about from reading about them that it would have been great to get more details on.

Overall it was pretty good. I wish they went into his post basketball career in a lot more detail. They didn't even bring up the Rick Barry incident. I'm still shocked Bill didn't knock him out. I also wouldn't have minded more of a last dance where they did if not a year per episode then 2 years per episode. There's a lot of details I know about from reading about them that it would have been great to get more details on.
What was the Rick Barry incident?

Insane jumps.

Well, there's this:

"Russell was a standout in the high jump, being ranked the seventh-best high jumper in the world by Track & Field News in 1956. That year, Russell would win the high jump titles at the Central California Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) meet, the Pacific AAU meet, and the West Coast Relays."

He would have competed in the Olympics but athletes weren't allowed to compete in multiple sports in the Olympics back then.

He still holds the USF high jump record.

Well, there's this:

"Russell was a standout in the high jump, being ranked the seventh-best high jumper in the world by Track & Field News in 1956. That year, Russell would win the high jump titles at the Central California Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) meet, the Pacific AAU meet, and the West Coast Relays."

He would have competed in the Olympics but athletes weren't allowed to compete in multiple sports in the Olympics back then.

He still holds the USF high jump record.
Oh yea. He could jump out of the gym.

Top of the backboard is 13'. Russ was call it 6-9 or 6-10. His wingspan was 7'4". Prob 35" in arms. If he had a 44" vertical he could touch it.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back