PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: 21 Years ago today the Patriots won their first Super Bowl

Yeah. I remember thinking at the time, when TB12 spiked the ball with seven seconds left, that "it's like he's in Training Camp, practicing a two minute drill on a hot summer day...."

When you watch the replay of the last 80 seconds of that game a hundred or so times, as I have, you notice that when Brady gets the Pats out from deep in their territory to their own 30 he spikes it for the first time. It's like he or Charlie Weis/BB (they were already in "hurry-up" mode) figured out something about how softly the Rams were playing...giving up easy completions to the sideline and eventually a crucial one over the middle and needed a moment to think through the final sequence of plays. It's at that very same second that John Madden, who a minute or so before had said the Pats "should play for overtime...," remarks, "...now I kind of like what the Patriots are doing," criticizing the Rams for not "pressuring the Quarterback."

On the next play, the Rams seem to wise up, overload and blitz from #12's blindside. Brady is aware of the situation and throws it away, avoiding a sack that might have changed the outcome. After that, the Rams stop blitzing and unexplainably again give up the middle and sideline while Patriots' receivers maintain the situational awareness to always get OB. The rest is history...more accurately, the beginning of history.

The living room of my apartment still contains echoes of my scream when #4's kick went through the uprights that day (notice that he kicks it from the hashmark to his right...immediately before the snap, Pat Summerall, showing a video of the pre-game warmup, remarked that he'd been "pulling" his kicks in that direction during practice...this one went straight down the middle).

I was 31. Mrs RW was preggo with #1. I remember thinking after the game my child would be born in an era the freaking New England Patriots were the reigning Super Bowl Champions.

I remember being giddy for weeks.....weeks. Still kinda am when I think about it.

Nine of us went down to New Orleans in a motor home, myself and someone had a ticket for the game. We had to plan the trip right after we all watched the AFC Championship game together because there wasn‘t a week off before the Super Bowl. When we left we still weren’t sure who the starting QB was going to be, we were all hoping Brady, the next day someone called us telling us it’s Brady.

Each day we hung out at a bar on Bourbon St. owned by a guy from Boston, beers were 3 for 1 until 6:00 pm.

I was a freshman in high school and me and my best friend watched the game at my parents house and had pizza and Pepsi. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

Reactions: sb1
I watched the clip and it brought back awesome memories of that night.

That season had it all. Bledsoe is a good guy but ironically we could thank the Jets and Mo Lewis for helping to open the door for Brady. I thought the season was over after Drew went down but little did I or anyone else know that a true NFL Dynasty was born that night.

And BTW, I can still hear Madden say that they should play for overtime. :)

Bosnia for me - working as a contractor and living off-post. Watched the game with a die-hard Giants fan and a neutral party.

Had to go to work a couple hours after the game, so just went straight in, cranking We Are The Champions as I approached the security checkpoint. What a game! It seemed that the rush lasted forever.

I was 28 years old...watching on a 30" tube TV with the family....

Later that night, I cried while watching ESPN highlights.

God, I LOVED that team. No matter what happened in a game...the boys would just keep on grinding...that was a goddamn amazing season.

Nine of us went down to New Orleans in a motor home, myself and someone had a ticket for the game. We had to plan the trip right after we all watched the AFC Championship game together because there wasn‘t a week off before the Super Bowl. When we left we still weren’t sure who the starting QB was going to be, we were all hoping Brady, the next day someone called us telling us it’s Brady.

Each day we hung out at a bar on Bourbon St. owned by a guy from Boston, beers were 3 for 1 until 6:00 pm.
We tread the same ground. Where did you sit?

Yeah. I remember thinking at the time, when TB12 spiked the ball with seven seconds left, that "it's like he's in Training Camp, practicing a two minute drill on a hot summer day...."

When you watch the replay of the last 80 seconds of that game a hundred or so times, as I have, you notice that when Brady gets the Pats out from deep in their territory to their own 30 he spikes it for the first time. It's like he or Charlie Weis/BB (they were already in "hurry-up" mode) figured out something about how softly the Rams were playing...giving up easy completions to the sideline and eventually a crucial one over the middle and needed a moment to think through the final sequence of plays. It's at that very same second that John Madden, who a minute or so before had said the Pats "should play for overtime...," remarks, "...now I kind of like what the Patriots are doing," criticizing the Rams for not "pressuring the Quarterback."

On the next play, the Rams seem to wise up, overload and blitz from #12's blindside. Brady is aware of the situation and throws it away, avoiding a sack that might have changed the outcome. After that, the Rams stop blitzing and unexplainably again give up the middle and sideline while Patriots' receivers maintain the situational awareness to always get OB. The rest is history...more accurately, the beginning of history.

The living room of my apartment still contains echoes of my scream when #4's kick went through the uprights that day (notice that he kicks it from the hashmark to his right...immediately before the snap, Pat Summerall, showing a video of the pre-game warmup, remarked that he'd been "pulling" his kicks in that direction during practice...this one went straight down the middle).
Great summary.

I watched this game after you made these comments.

Unbelievable that the Rams did not blitz when Brady was deep in his own territory. Have to wonder what the defensive mindset was there. One sack would have most certainly guaranteed overtime. On the first play a defender gets a little bit of the ball. Not enoughto stop Brady from pushing it forward though.

Madden first said the Patriots should play for overtime. It's not that outlandish of an idea. No timeouts. Backed up. One critical mistake hands the game to the Rams. However, the Rams had all of the momentum at that point. They went down the field with relative ease to score two TD's after going no huddle. If you go to Overtime, and the Rams win the toss, what are the odds a tired Patriots defense stops a fg try at minimum. Especially that no huddle? Back then, one fg ended the game. No matter if it was the first possession or not. Belichick knew they had to win the game right then and there. He trusted that Brady would not make a critical mistake.

The two minute offense worked for the Rams when it was desperation time. Who knows how different that game is if they go two minutes way earlier or use Faulk more. The turnovers did them in too. 17 points given up due to turnovers. Realistically, the Rams D only gave up three legit points all night. Unfortunately for them, it happened at the worst possible time.

Maybe this is an overstatement. However, I believe playing the Rams earlier that year benefited the Pats in two ways. First one is that they gained confidence they could play with them. It was not a blowout. Game could have gone Pats way if not for a few more plays. Second, Belichick was able to realize that consistently blitzing Warner was not working. Rams picked most up. Going into the Super Bowl, Belichick decided to punish the receivers. Not let Faulk be the star of the game. If that first game does not happen, it quite possibly benefits the Rams way more.

I was 28 years old...watching on a 30" tube TV with the family....

Later that night, I cried while watching ESPN highlights.

God, I LOVED that team. No matter what happened in a game...the boys would just keep on grinding...that was a goddamn amazing season.
Hahaha your TV comment made me think of what I watched it on. My parents had one of those Magnavox TV's that used to have those commercials for the remote that beep if you hit a button on the TV in case it was lost. It was in the huge entertainment center that had a cabinet with all the big vinyl VHS tape covers. Crazy to think there was about 8 of us gathered around a 32 inch TV watching Vinatieri kick that 48 yarder for the win.

Madden first said the Patriots should play for overtime. It's not that outlandish of an idea. No timeouts. Backed up. One critical mistake hands the game to the Rams. However, the Rams had all of the momentum at that point. They went down the field with relative ease to score two TD's after going no huddle. If you go to Overtime, and the Rams win the toss, what are the odds a tired Patriots defense stops a fg try at minimum. Especially that no huddle? Back then, one fg ended the game. No matter if it was the first possession or not. Belichick knew they had to win the game right then and there. He trusted that Brady would not make a critical mistake.

Worst idea ever by Madden. If you play for OT, you’re in the exact same position at best, or the Rams have the ball anyway. Giving away a possession in hopes of…getting possession? Makes no sense.

Worst idea ever by Madden. If you play for OT, you’re in the exact same position at best, or the Rams have the ball anyway. Giving away a possession in hopes of…getting possession? Makes no sense.
Exactly.

The Patriots were there to win the game. Not be moral victors or say they almost beat the GSOT. A close loss is still a loss.

Brady was not going to lose that game with a stupid pick or be blind and not see pressure. So worst case scenario is...you go to OT where a fg by either side wins it. The exact situation that was happening with 90 seconds left in regulation. You never ever willingly give up a possession and give a red hot offense with momentum, a chance to win with one fg.

The only way you sit on the ball is if the Rams tied it with like 15 seconds left. And you are at your 10 yard line etc. I could see doing it at that point. Because to get in fg range you would need a bunch of huge passes. Not ideal against a pretty good D. Totally different situation with 90 seconds left though.

The initial time your team wins the Super Bowl it's an unfamiliar exhilaration you feel as a fan. Coupled with a sense of relief afterward that your team had finally reached the pinnacle of a season. 2003 was a wild ride because of close games, game-winning drives, and OT victories. Capped off with the savage 4th quarter of SB 38. In 2004 I thought the team was just inevitably going to win the Super Bowl, I never really had a doubt. Even facing the 15-1 Steelers, the Patriots jumped allover them and were in full control of that game from beginning to end. And I had no concerns with the Eagles in the SB.

We unfortunately got the other end of it with the gut wrenching loss to the Giants in 2007. I felt physically ill for like two days afterward. This to me is definitely the most regrettable loss in Boston sports history. Brady said once he would trade two of his Super Bowl rings for a SB 42 ring. I would agree with that unless the two rings were from SB 49 and SB 51. I'll give up one of those (and another) but not both. He can trade in any other combination of two except for that one.

Great summary.

I watched this game after you made these comments.

Unbelievable that the Rams did not blitz when Brady was deep in his own territory. Have to wonder what the defensive mindset was there. One sack would have most certainly guaranteed overtime. On the first play a defender gets a little bit of the ball. Not enoughto stop Brady from pushing it forward though.

The two minute offense worked for the Rams when it was desperation time. Who knows how different that game is if they go two minutes way earlier or use Faulk more. The turnovers did them in too. 17 points given up due to turnovers. Realistically, the Rams D only gave up three legit points all night. Unfortunately for them, it happened at the worst possible time.

Maybe this is an overstatement. However, I believe playing the Rams earlier that year benefited the Pats in two ways. First one is that they gained confidence they could play with them. It was not a blowout. Game could have gone Pats way if not for a few more plays. Second, Belichick was able to realize that consistently blitzing Warner was not working. Rams picked most up. Going into the Super Bowl, Belichick decided to punish the receivers. Not let Faulk be the star of the game. If that first game does not happen, it quite possibly benefits the Rams way more.
Thanks for the detailed response! Good insights.
I have one special memory about that game, which I have shared out here in the past.
**** Stockton, who was working for Fox Sports at the time, lived on the same floor as my wife and I in a Manhattan apartment building in 2002; he was, at the time, married to Leslie Visser, the pioneer female sideline broadcaster on Monday Night Football. Long story short, our mutual connection to Boston and our shared love of all things related to Boston sports led to an "elevator friendship."
By coincidence, I bumped into **** (by the elevator) :) as he was leaving for New Orleans to do the International Broadcast of SB XXXVI for Fox. Given the pre-game hype about "the Greatest Show on Turf" and the, as I recall, 14 point spread, I somewhat somberly asked him, "Hey **** do you think we have a chance on Sunday?"
I'll never forget his answer, "If the Pats punch them in the nose, they'll beat those guys." He got off the elevator and into the limo waiting to take him to the airport and I felt good about the game.
"Punching them in the nose" was exactly Belichick's game plan (Canton asked for the Plan shortly after the game, where it sits today). The D mugged the Rams' receivers within five yards of the line on every play, to the extent that Warner and Faulk whined about it for years afterwards. They didn't know what hit them and, as you observe in your comment above, didn't figure out how to deal with it (by going "hurry up" and wearing down the defense) until it was too late. Too bad...

With the rate we're going and the state of the league we'll probably be waiting 21 years for the 7th trophy

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back