PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Scouting visits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious to see how Prince Amakumara will match up against Justin Blackmon whose only a redshirted sophomore and could come out if he wanted to.He is having a huge year.

Rodney Hudson - g - FSU could be a target in round 2-3. He's 6'2" 280lb. Had mono this off-season so couldn't bulk up. Pretty athletic. Supposedly can play C. Was a high school all-american. I've seen them a couple of times. He can move pretty good. Not sure he's strong enough at the point of attact for the NFL. Workouts will probably play a big role for him. To see if he gets any stronger once the college season ends.

I am curious to see how Prince Amakumara will match up against Justin Blackmon whose only a redshirted sophomore and could come out if he wanted to.He is having a huge year.

HERE'S AN ODD QUESTION FOR YOU: Where do the "elite" college CBs, like Amukamara, typically line up - at LCB or at RCB? By that, I mean, would a guy like Amukamara nearly always line up at LCB and rarely at RCB regardless of which receiver is lined up on which side of the offensive formation? Or would he line up wherever the #1 WR is, regardless of "side"?

Also, are there any "hot" (or even just decent) CB prospects out there who line up almost exclusively at RCB (that anyone is aware of)?

The reason I ask is that I've been thinking about the Darius Butler/Kyle Arrington situation and started looking at RCB v LCB around the NFL and it's occurred to me that a guy who can play LCB at an elite level might not necessarily be able to play RCB at an elite level - or even competently, in some cases. LCB is arguably the more "important" CB spot because QBs tend to throw to their right (at LCB) more often than to their left (at RCB), thus the better receivers are likely more often posted up on the offensive right side than on the left. So, it seems like we'd naturally tend to focus our attention on college LCBs.

But, what about the guys who play RCB almost exclusively in college? Are we making an assumption that a guy who plays "over there" is necessarily a lesser talent? Or are there also guys who play RCB who are "special" at it?

(maybe I should make this a full thread?)

I like this thread alot. I want to see if Box and others keeping track of all these visits can make sense of who the Patiots pick in the upcoming draft. It is also a cool guide to go back to after the draft is done and try to make ryme or reason out of what's transpired.

HERE'S AN ODD QUESTION FOR YOU: Where do the "elite" college CBs, like Amukamara, typically line up - at LCB or at RCB? By that, I mean, would a guy like Amukamara nearly always line up at LCB and rarely at RCB regardless of which receiver is lined up on which side of the offensive formation? Or would he line up wherever the #1 WR is, regardless of "side"?

Also, are there any "hot" (or even just decent) CB prospects out there who line up almost exclusively at RCB (that anyone is aware of)?

The reason I ask is that I've been thinking about the Darius Butler/Kyle Arrington situation and started looking at RCB v LCB around the NFL and it's occurred to me that a guy who can play LCB at an elite level might not necessarily be able to play RCB at an elite level - or even competently, in some cases. LCB is arguably the more "important" CB spot because QBs tend to throw to their right (at LCB) more often than to their left (at RCB), thus the better receivers are likely more often posted up on the offensive right side than on the left. So, it seems like we'd naturally tend to focus our attention on college LCBs.

But, what about the guys who play RCB almost exclusively in college? Are we making an assumption that a guy who plays "over there" is necessarily a lesser talent? Or are there also guys who play RCB who are "special" at it?

(maybe I should make this a full thread?)
Warped minds think alike?

I've been noticing Reiss talking about Butler specifically as a reserve for LCB and got thinking about next season with Bodden's return. McCourty and Bodden would seem the likely starters, Arrington is steadily getting better on the right side where Butler was struggling after mostly playing on the left side last season.

As for elite college CBs, it depends on the program, some use boundary/field designations swapping CBs depending on which hashmark the ball is spotted, others don't swap. As for offenses working against elite CBs, Colorado has two NFLDS draft ranked CBs, Oklahoma picked the defense apart from the slot attacking the Nickel and Safeties and avoiding the outside guys.

Warped minds think alike?

I've been noticing Reiss talking about Butler specifically as a reserve for LCB and got thinking about next season with Bodden's return. McCourty and Bodden would seem the likely starters, Arrington is steadily getting better on the right side where Butler was struggling after mostly playing on the left side last season.

As for elite college CBs, it depends on the program, some use boundary/field designations swapping CBs depending on which hashmark the ball is spotted, others don't swap. As for offenses working against elite CBs, Colorado has two NFLDS draft ranked CBs, Oklahoma picked the defense apart from the slot attacking the Nickel and Safeties and avoiding the outside guys.

WHEW! Thanks for the response. I wasn't really sure if it was my meds talking or a reasonable consideration.

I was thinking that Wheatley would be next in line at RCB behind Arrington since Wheatley, IIRC, played mostly on the right side as a rookie before he got hurt (the first time). Buuuut NOW, Wheatley's been waived to make room for Mankins, leaving Wilhite (?!) as Arrington's backup, I suppose. And Wilhite did play some on the right side last season. Wheatley could still end up on the P/S, I suppose, but seems unlikely to be an important part of our plans for the secondary next season.

So, that brings me back to CBs and the 2011 draft.

Obviously, what my original post implies is that may be some sort of special "knack" involved with playing the right side well - something apart from general talent/skill level, maybe having to do with "handedness". If so, maybe that makes Bodden (and Arrington) that much more valuable, if such a knack is relatively rare. AND, if so, perhaps BB will be looking for another CB in 2011 who appears to have this knack and that guy wouldn't necessarily be an early-round "elite" prospect.

EDIT: So, those two Colorado CBs would be Jimmy Smith (possible 1st-rounder) and Jalil Brown (possible 5th/6th rounder)? Wonder if one of them plays primarily on the right.

Last edited:

Tysson POOTS! (WR, Utah State). Right up there with BARKevious Mingo (DL, LSU) as guys "she who must be obeyed" would draft based on name alone.

Her favorite players have included Chris SNEE, Fred SMOOT and Leger DOUZABLE and she occasionally wanders through the house wondering whatever became of Earthwind Moreland and Shockmain Davis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference