PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Ebner Best Special Teams Tackler (PFF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think his lack of playing time on defense is more the result of the fact he had 3 really good safeties in front of him, and they rarely missed a snap. Now he still has that dynamic this year, but I would be surprised if he's the guy backing up Chung and gets some more playing time in the regular defense this year.

To back up Chung the Pats need a great open field tackler (check) and a guy who cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. Ebner has shown he has the athletic ability to be that guy. We already know he's a sure tackler. We just have to find out if he has learned over the last 4 years, enough "football sense" to play in the regular D

Actually I think his lack of playing time on defense is more the result of the fact he had 3 really good safeties in front of him, and they rarely missed a snap. Now he still has that dynamic this year, but I would be surprised if he's the guy backing up Chung and gets some more playing time in the regular defense this year.

To back up Chung the Pats need a great open field tackler (check) and a guy who cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. Ebner has shown he has the athletic ability to be that guy. We already know he's a sure tackler. We just have to find out if he has learned over the last 4 years, enough "football sense" to play in the regular D

If he has the coverage skills, I wonder if Belichick might deploy him in a "big nickel" package:

Big nickel package emerging as NFL's hottest defensive trend

Ruggers are amazing open field tacklers, but you need guys who can hit on defense.

A yard means infinitely more in football than it does in rugby. Although, on ST you can afford to give up a couple yards in order to secure a tackle. Is he going to stop most RBs in their tracks? No.

Ebner fills a niche very nicely. He's a known quantity who pairs nicely on ST with Slater as dependable tacklers, guys who can sniff out what's happening and react quickly. His skills also make him a great backup for the Safety position, and he's there if things go really badly. I think he's in the perfect position for his skill set(s).

Ebner is also a "smart" football player, something that is valued in this franchise..(three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree)..

While at Ohio State, he was pretty much an exclusive special teams player.. might be good as an emergency back up, but does not have all that much experience.

Bet he becomes a coach post NFL..

That's amazing!
Also, I wonder how many tackles Slater missed. He is rock solid in that area as well.

I've always wondered why he doesn't play more snaps on defense, particularly on early downs. Any theories?

The Occam's razor theory would be that he simply isn't any good at it, while the Patriots homer theory is that he's a secret superstar who only doesn't play because everyone in front of him is even more amazing.

One can be a good special teamer and nothing else. The two best special teams coverage guys in the history of the league are probably Steve Tasker and Slater, and neither of them were worth a damn in any other phase of the game.

I mean, look at Slater. I'm not certain there's a wide receiver in the league better at beating a jam than Slater, who regularly beats off two or even three jammers when he's gunning. Being able to consistently get off the line against the press is more important than foot speed in the NFL and a huge part of what makes the transition from college to pros so difficult for a wide receiver, because the fastest guy in the world can't get open if he's being held up at the line. But, despite being amazing at that and fast to boot, Slater's route-running and hands (which is really hand-eye coordination and body control) aren't at an NFL level.

Ebner probably (no real evidence, but Occam's razor) just isn't any good in coverage. The skillset needed to consistently defend an NFL receiver, tight end, or running back is simply a completely different skillset than the one needed for covering kicks.

Similarly, Darrelle Revis is one of the best cover corners who ever played, and I doubt he would be an Ebner-level kick coverage guy. That's fine.

Think about the list of the greatest return men in history: Devin Hester; Gale Sayers; Billy Johnson; Brian Mitchell; Joshua Cribbs; Deion Sanders; Dante Hall; Mel Gray; Desmond Howard; Rick Upchurch. Aside from Mitchell (who was a passable third down back), Deion, and Gale Sayers (who are HOFers), none of those guys did a damn thing on offense or defense.

I think where Belichick's genius lies is that he recognizes that special teams coverage superstars are extremely valuable players, even if they can't contribute in any other phase, whereas most other coaches would have cut a guy like Slater or Ebner long before they could reveal themselves as superstars because they lack that.

Last edited:
The Occam's razor theory would be that he simply isn't any good at it

You might well be right, but an alternative view is that he just hasn't had much experience to date because of his non-football background, and that he might yet emerge as someone capable of covering.

A bunch of the new players this year have strong ST resumes. Wonder if ST-only players like Bolden are going to get squeezed out.

You might well be right, but an alternative view is that he just hasn't had much experience to date because of his non-football background, and that he might yet emerge as someone capable of covering.

A bunch of the new players this year have strong ST resumes. Wonder if ST-only players like Bolden are going to get squeezed out.

He's almost 30. The time to teach a dog new tricks is, if not over, then quickly dwindling. And there are some things that just can't be taught.

I suspect Bolden is expendable because running back is going to be a squeeze and Burkhead is a good special teamer and better offensive player.

Between Slater, Ebner and now J. Jones this is one of the best STs coverage unit I have ever seen on any team. I know Slater and Ebner will be the guys talked about but Jonathan Jones was a beast last year too and will only improve. They were 30th in kick off return yardage allowed (in this case #1 is the worst and #32 is the best BTW) and 31th in punt yardage allowed.

I might have never seen a coverage unit as good all around and it could improve this year.

Think about the list of the greatest return men in history: Devin Hester; Gale Sayers; Billy Johnson; Brian Mitchell; Joshua Cribbs; Deion Sanders; Dante Hall; Mel Gray; Desmond Howard; Rick Upchurch. Aside from Mitchell (who was a passable third down back), Deion, and Gale Sayers (who are HOFers), none of those guys did a damn thing on offense or defense.

I agree with almost all of your post.

I disagree that the top returners were virtually useless on offense or defense. I suspect that Bill Johnson had 4000 yards, ditto for Unchurch. They certainly were WR's who played.

I didn't look up the stats of the rest, but I suspect that most of the group got significant position reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye