PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More evidence that you don't have to be very smart to play in the NFL

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just can't believe that people would publicly admit to this stuff. I will never question someone's faith, but in 2017 to walk around disputing the overwhelming truth is just downright "dumb as a doorknob" dumb. I really hope he gets lit up by his teammates for it. I swear the internet has made our society collectively dumber than before it existed.

Do dinosaurs exist? These Texans teammates can't agree on the answer

Not a big deal and nothing that is OMG worthy in my opinion

I don't see this as a big deal.

Lots of things we have proof for that people don't believe and lots of things we don't have proof for and people believe it. I don't care where my sports idol lies on that chart. It's not like I am marrying this person or need to have a brain-numbing conversation about it with them.

I mean is it that big a jump for this guy to say he doesn't believe in evolution to saying he doesn't believe in dinosaurs? Scientifically speaking those statements are identical.

My point is what someone beliefs are doesn't make me appreciate their sporting achievements any less. I don't care if Tom Brady believes that nightshades like tomatoes gives inflammation (something that has no scientific proof), I can appreciate his career all the same.

With that said.......... here are some common differences between the general population and the scientific community.

Things scientists believe but population doesn't.

Genetically modified foods: 88 percent of scientists say they’re "generally safe" to eat; 37 percent of the public agrees.
Vaccines: 86 percent of scientists believe they should be required in childhood, compared to 68 percent of the public.
Climate change: 94 percent of scientists say it’s a “very serious" or "somewhat serious" problem; 65 percent of the public agrees. 87 percent of scientists blame humans; 50 percent of the public does too.
Evolution: 98 percent of scientists say they believe humans evolved over time, compared to 65 percent of the public.

PI_2015-01-29_science-and-society-00-01.png

PI_2015-01-29_science-and-society-00-02.png

Things the population believes in that scientists don't.

I'm not going to list everything here so as not to offend people, but stuff like belief in god, homeopathy, superstitions, ghosts, afterlife, supernatural phenomenon, psychics, etc

Lots of things we have proof for that people don't believe and lots of things we don't have proof for and people believe it. I don't care where my sports idol lies on that chart. It's not like I am marrying this person or need to have a brain-numbing conversation about it with them.

I mean is it that big a jump for this guy to say he doesn't believe in evolution to saying he doesn't believe in dinosaurs? Scientifically speaking those statements are identical.

My point is what someone beliefs are doesn't make me appreciate their sporting achievements any less. I don't care if Tom Brady believes that nightshades like tomatoes gives inflammation (something that has no scientific proof), I can appreciate his career all the same.

With that said.......... here are some common differences between the general population and the scientific community.

Genetically modified foods: 88 percent of scientists say they’re "generally safe" to eat; 37 percent of the public agrees.
Vaccines: 86 percent of scientists believe they should be required in childhood, compared to 68 percent of the public.
Climate change: 94 percent of scientists say it’s a “very serious" or "somewhat serious" problem; 65 percent of the public agrees. 87 percent of scientists blame humans; 50 percent of the public does too.
Evolution: 98 percent of scientists say they believe humans evolved over time, compared to 65 percent of the public.

I'm not going to list everything here so as not to offend people, but stuff like belief in god, homeopathy, superstitions, ghosts, afterlife, supernatural phenomenon, psychics, etc
We should make vaccines mandated by law. Others don't have the right to make society more dangerous.

Regarding GMO's, I'd prefer 100% of scientists say their safe. Some how that number seems shady

I don't believe global warming is caused by man, but global warming is real

I don't believe Biffins is a manly screen name:D

The rest, I couldn't care less about.

Now, let's discuss football

Nice post.

Personally I'm not as hooked up on what people believe as much as how those people are.

Are you adding or subtracting from your social brothers and sisters? That's what matters in the end.

But I still find it funny when someone tries to argue that the earth is flat.

Not sure the internet has made people dumber, but some of these whacko ideas can be reinforced by their belief.. if you google "dinosaurs did not exist you get links.. and if you have been brought up in a strict bible area, your ideas might be reinforced.. the internet never lies.

Charlie Sheen thinks the moon is hollow, but who really gives a f... ck.

Kyrie irving believing the earth is flat is a bigger deal

Not sure the internet has made people dumber, but some of these whacko ideas can be reinforced by their belief.. if you google "dinosaurs did not exist you get links.. and if you have been brought up in a strict bible area, your ideas might be reinforced.. the internet never lies.

Charlie Sheen thinks the moon is hollow, but who really gives a f... ck.
Wait the moon isn't hollow and stuffed with cheese?

Last edited:
If you believe that dinosaur fossils are fake, then you've got to admit that the fakers, generations of them, went about it in a really dull way.

If you're going to fake something, at least make it interesting - Here's a T-Rex with wings, Here's a pictograph of a brontosaurus building the great pyramids, Here's a fossil of a dinosaur amid the remnants of the machine it was operating.

Instead, we got some dinosaurs lived on land, some in the sea and some could fly. Some dinosaurs ate plants and other dinosaurs ate the plant eaters. All very logical and convenient. Thanks a lot, dinosaur fakers :rolleyes:

One problem with such poll results is that opinions rarely fit neatly into yes or no boxes.

For instance with "GMO crops", a lot of folks aren't as much concerned with the genetic modifications themselves as they are with the way these crops are grown in industrial farming (a concern that also extends to non-GMO crops). Given that soy and corn (the latter of which is in nearly every packaged food in some form) are virtually the only crops that are GMO (in the labratory-modified sense), and given that they're almost exclusively grown in the U.S. using industrial farming methods (with all that implies about pesticide use and residues), a significant portion of the objections to "GMO crops" doesn't necessarily proceed from ignorance or an anti-science mindset.

With vaccines, no competent medical professional would claim that all of them are universally beneficial and safe for every individual - same as with any medication. And there's considerable debate within the medical community about the efficacy of flu vaccines. This is not to say that the societal benefits of most childhood vaccines don't outweigh the risks to a relatively small population of individuals, but the way the poll results are stated preclude any acknowledgement of opinion shades that are neither black nor white.

This is also not to say that there isn't a considerable portion of the population that genuinely believes that those madified genes themselves are harmful or that all vaccines are a government/Big Pharma conspiracy. The problem is that such polls reinforce the notion that EVERYONE who objects is similarly an ignorant moron.

After trying to read the comment section of any 'Yahoo' article, I am never surprised at the ignorance and poor thought process of anyone.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back