PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Law closing in on KC?? Cafardo - new info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the structure, that's a lot of money for a CB Law's age. Of course, if there's 2 fake years of $16M at the end then it's much more matchable.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
Depending on the structure, that's a lot of money for a CB Law's age. Of course, if there's 2 fake years of $16M at the end then it's much more matchable.

BelichickFan for Pioli's eventual successor! (He knows his personnel valuations.)

flutie2phelan said:
BelichickFan for Pioli's eventual successor! (He knows his personnel valuations.)
You would never say that if you saw the way I run my fantasy teams. I'm an overeactionary moron :(

"Free agent cornerback Ty Law is closing in on a five-year deal worth more than $30 million with the Kansas City Chiefs according to an NFL source. The Chiefs began pursuing Law for the last few months.

However, according to the NFL source, the Patriots will have one final shot to match or exceed the Chiefs' offer. The Patriots has extended an offer to Law, but at a level below the current Chiefs' offer."

Judging from the uncharacteristic grammer gaffs I'd say Nick was extremely excited when he got off the phone with Carl. Those pudgy little fingers were flying. :rolleyes:

My guess would be the level below offer was for 3 to 5 real years at maybe $20-25M including some incentives, while the Chiefs offer is likely as BelichickFan indicated backloaded with 1 or 2 high salary years he will never see. Herm will be gone from KC by then too.

It's all about the bonus money and the 3 year take. I'm sure the Pats will want to see this deal in writing before they make any final offer. Hopefully it is something they can trump as a flat match aside from BS in the final 2 would be a little stretch. Somehow though I still can't see Ty taking an offer from KC just because it's "at a level above" our current offer. Here that will make him the highest paid CB by a multi million dollar margin. In KC that's about 2 years and $20M less than they are paying their incumbant #1 CB 30 year old Patrick Surtain whom they traded for and signed instead of Ty last season to a 7 year $51M mostly salary backloaded phony deal.

It's likly this is BS and posturing from the Poston's. If it happens fine, but I can live with the DB's on the roster. I would really like to see the cap space used to: Extend Branch. Graham. Koppen and Samuel, pay off some of Brady's and Sey's contracts to lessen the cap hit in coming years.

The team is pretty well positioned to keep the young core players for the next few years. The Patriots didn't get to the type of roster we have been enjoying by being foolish with contracts for short term gain.

patsfan13 said:
It's likly this is BS and posturing from the Poston's. If it happens fine, but I can live with the DB's on the roster. I would really like to see the cap space used to: Extend Branch. Graham. Koppen and Samuel, pay off some of Brady's and Sey's contracts to lessen the cap hit in coming years.

The team is pretty well positioned to keep the young core players for the next few years. The Patriots didn't get to the type of roster we have been enjoying by being foolish with contracts for short term gain.

Carl Peterson will likely let us know if this is just Poston posturing. The KC media will be all over him for confirmation, and Carl is not as reticent as BB to discuss contract dealings.

While we may have no choice but to live with the DB's on the roster, it's not an entirely heartwarming proposition. And as for using cap space to extend Branch, offering him any more than he is currently balking at would be foolish in both the short and long term. Brady and Seymour's deals are already being paid down. Graham needs to prove he can stay on the field. Koppen needs to prove he can get back on the field. And Asante needs to prove he is worth having on the field. And Belioli isn't going to overpay for any of them either. I'd rather potentially risk one of them if we could sign Ty at fair market value. He would represent a light years improvement to that defensive backfield for at least the next couple of seasons. And those should be Belioli's first and foremost concern. One season at a time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick