PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald's Buckley: Pats fans, leave Steve DeOssie alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do the people who are really upset about his description in the lead sentence consider themselves knuckle draggers?

Because he's only pointing out the people who are hellbent out of shape about DeOssie cheering for the Giants. I can care less.

You mean you could NOT care less. And, no, I'm not a knuckle dragger...but I do enjoy writing in crayon. :)

bumpin it up

Ship Steve DeOssie back to New York on a rail, where he belongs.

Amen man....if you have that kind of unabashed love and admiration for the dirty rectum. (AKA NY) and are only here in NE PRETENDING to be a Pats supporter or even have some affection for the Pats....then don't. GIVE THE BASTID A FCKING PAYCHECK. AND SHIP HIS FAT, OVERRATED SCUM SUCKING ***** BACK TO CRAPTOWN!! Seriously after watching what he said. .he is pretending to have some allegiance to NE ..but obviously doing so just to make a paycheck.....

Surely craptown can find a job for that overrated slug!

Despite Buckley trying to frame this as merely a father rooting for his son's team and an athlete rooting for a team that he won rings with, everyone sees right through to the truth.

It doesn't take an English major to parse through the words of what DeOssie bellowed that night on the video. DeOssie told them he had to live in NE but he has a home in NY.

Buckley then defends this by increasing the disrespect of the fans of NE.

There most certainly is a need for honest analysis and opinion removed from "homerism" in the media. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it is necessary.

However, when you simply insult your viewership/readership with no instigation whatsoever, then it is time to apologize and leave.

These are obviously very deep-seeded beliefs for Buckley and DeOssie - we already know they are deep-seeded beliefs of Shaughnessy and Massarotti

These people have every right to analyze and express football opinions. They have no right to expect continued support from their customers whom they are disrespecting.

It's their problem if they cannot understand that.

The people of NE have every right not to patronize that restaurant and not to patronize whatever businesses are connected to the Shaughnessy's, Massarotti's and Buckley's - which is why I may read printed snippets of what they write, but I'll never click on their articles.

Last edited:
Our team used to suck, so its not surprising that there weren't that many team alums that people want to see on the air. But the Pats haven't sucked for quite some time now. Where's the Troy Browns or the Lonnie Paxtons or the Ben Coateses... when its time to give out these plum jobs like the one De Ossie's got? I can see employing carpetbaggers back when the team went a perennial 3-13, but those days are long since over.

Please join Ban Steve DeOssie on Facebook

Another Apologist:

Root of the matter: DeOssie in the clear - The Boston Globe

Root of the matter: DeOssie in the clear
By Chad Finn

His son plays for the franchise with which he built his most cherished football memories, at the same position he played 21 years earlier on a championship team.

When times were darker and trouble had found him, it was the family that ran the franchise that helped him get his life in order.

Is it any wonder that Steve DeOssie wanted the Giants to win Super Bowl XLVI?

“It’s what I’d expect when people are upset,’’ said DeOssie, a prominent pundit on various Patriots programming, when asked whether he has received harsh feedback locally to a video that shows him speaking emotionally at a Giants pep rally before the Super Bowl. “Fully understandable. I don’t think I’ve ever hidden the fact that I’m a Giants fan. I can understand, particularly with the loss.’’

He’s right. Had the Patriots not come out on the wrong side of a 21-17 score Sunday night, the video would already be an afterthought.

And remember, DeOssie has never denied his Giants allegiance. His son, Zak, is the Giants’ fourth-year long snapper, a position Steve played for the Giants from 1989-93. When the Patriots and Giants met in Super Bowl XLII, Zak’s rookie year, his father was open about pulling for New York.

But the problem for DeOssie, the reason he will be viewed by Patriots fans with an arched eyebrow for the time being, is that he was . . . well, a bit over the top in the video.

“You know what, even if my son wasn’t playing on the Giants, I would pick the Giants, because they’re the better team, they deserve the game,’’ DeOssie tells the crowd.

The video lasts roughly a minute and a half. DeOssie continues:

“I just came from doing the [Patriots] pregame show, and we’ve got five guys, and they’re talking about how great this is and how great that is and [Rob] Gronkowski and [Aaron] Hernandez and [Wes] Welker. And I appreciate that. I know you have some great receivers and you have a great quarterback. But how hard is it when you’ve got JPP [Jason Pierre-Paul], Osi [Umenyiora], [Justin] Tuck up in your face.’’

The approving roar arrives on cue.

“I feel like I’ve come home here,’’ DeOssie tells the amped-up crowd. “I’m a Giant in my heart, I’m so glad my son’s a New York Giant. I struggle sometimes up in New England, but I know I’ve got a home in New York. I love you guys.’’

Damning? Hardly. Damaging to how he’s perceived in New England and to his credibility as an analyst? Maybe, though it shouldn’t be.

DeOssie said yesterday he doesn’t regret his participation in the rally, but wishes that he’d chosen a few words differently.

“The thing that’s lost in translation is that I talked about the great players that the Patriots have,’’ DeOssie said. “The mistake I made was that I didn’t explain why I struggle between New York and New England.

“I’m a native Bostonian; of course I’m a Patriots fan, too, but I have such an allegiance to the Giants for everything they did for me. And I choose to live here. I should have been more specific as to what I struggle with.’’

It should not be overlooked that DeOssie’s loyalty is born of a time when he had struggles of a more serious nature.

“When I got arrested with pot paraphernalia [while playing for the Giants], they could have easily dismissed me and wrote me off,’’ DeOssie said. “But the Mara family, the leadership of the Giants, asked me one simple question: if I wanted help.

“And when I said I wanted help, that’s all they needed to hear, and got me the help I needed. It was the single most important non-family episode in my life.’’

DeOssie appears on WEEI, Channel 4, and Comcast SportsNet New England. What follows are statements from each outlet.

Comcast SportsNet New England spokeswoman Laura Hannon: “We have no doubt that Steve is a credible football analyst. He is an NFL veteran who played for some of the league’s highest-profile teams and has remarkable knowledge of the game. He has been transparent about his family affiliations and we do not believe they have impacted his ability to objectively analyze football games.’’

WEEI program director Jason Wolfe: “I think that Steve is a terrific analyst who has a tremendous ability to discuss all aspects of the game at a very high level. We’ve worked together for many years and he’s done an excellent job.’’

CBS Boston director of communications Ro Dooley Webster: “We have received quite a bit of feedback from viewers, and we will continue to consider viewer response as we evaluate our plans for next season.’’

DeOssie will take a pounding on the “Whiner Line’’ for a while, but a few jabs from some radio wise guys is the most punishment he deserves. His appearance at the Giants pep rally should not cost him any of his jobs talking about the Patriots.

DeOssie has proven in this market for more than 15 years that when he is not obligated to play an ex-jock caricature on the radio, he is more than capable of providing honest and insightful analysis of the Patriots, no matter whether his football heart is here or elsewhere.

Chad Finn can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @globechadfinn.

Despite Buckley trying to frame this as merely a father rooting for his son's team and an athlete rooting for a team that he won rings with, everyone sees right through to the truth.

It doesn't take an English major to parse through the words of what DeOssie bellowed that night on the video. DeOssie told them he had to live in NE but he has a home in NY.

Buckley then defends this by increasing the disrespect of the fans of NE.

There most certainly is a need for honest analysis and opinion removed from "homerism" in the media. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it is necessary.

However, when you simply insult your viewership/readership with no instigation whatsoever, then it is time to apologize and leave.

These are obviously very deep-seeded beliefs for Buckley and DeOssie - we already know they are deep-seeded beliefs of Shaughnessy and Massarotti

These people have every right to analyze and express football opinions. They have no right to expect continued support from their customers whom they are disrespecting.

It's their problem if they cannot understand that.

The people of NE have every right not to patronize that restaurant and not to patronize whatever businesses are connected to the Shaughnessy's, Massarotti's and Buckley's - which is why I may read printed snippets of what they write, but I'll never click on their articles.

Excellent job. My thoughts put to words.

No one is begrudging DeOssie's right to cheer for his Giants. We just don't want to listen to him provide commentary on the Patriots. Buckley is another Boston media member who doesn't quite understand that DeOssie's comments indicated someone who is "struggling" with taking money for commentating on the Patriots when he really despises everything they represent. He showed a two-faced side that is unacceptable to many of us. A media member who loses creibility with their market is a non-entity in that media market. DeOssie has lost credibility in the Boston market and is now a non-entity.

He can be a Giants fan forever and he will. We are exercising our rights to listen and watch those media members we choose to watch. After the last Super Bowl we exercised our rights to express outrage at John Tomasi for his outrageous behavior and he was banished to Palookaville. Everyone in this society is accountable and DeOssie is no different. Ridiculing the Pats fans who are passionate enough to express outrage at DeOssie's comments just creates more animosity towards the media.

Another Apologist:

Root of the matter: DeOssie in the clear - The Boston Globe

Root of the matter: DeOssie in the clear
By Chad Finn

His son plays for the franchise with which he built his most cherished football memories, at the same position he played 21 years earlier on a championship team.

When times were darker and trouble had found him, it was the family that ran the franchise that helped him get his life in order.

Is it any wonder that Steve DeOssie wanted the Giants to win Super Bowl XLVI?

“It’s what I’d expect when people are upset,’’ said DeOssie, a prominent pundit on various Patriots programming, when asked whether he has received harsh feedback locally to a video that shows him speaking emotionally at a Giants pep rally before the Super Bowl. “Fully understandable. I don’t think I’ve ever hidden the fact that I’m a Giants fan. I can understand, particularly with the loss.’’

He’s right. Had the Patriots not come out on the wrong side of a 21-17 score Sunday night, the video would already be an afterthought.

And remember, DeOssie has never denied his Giants allegiance. His son, Zak, is the Giants’ fourth-year long snapper, a position Steve played for the Giants from 1989-93. When the Patriots and Giants met in Super Bowl XLII, Zak’s rookie year, his father was open about pulling for New York.

But the problem for DeOssie, the reason he will be viewed by Patriots fans with an arched eyebrow for the time being, is that he was . . . well, a bit over the top in the video.

“You know what, even if my son wasn’t playing on the Giants, I would pick the Giants, because they’re the better team, they deserve the game,’’ DeOssie tells the crowd.

The video lasts roughly a minute and a half. DeOssie continues:

“I just came from doing the [Patriots] pregame show, and we’ve got five guys, and they’re talking about how great this is and how great that is and [Rob] Gronkowski and [Aaron] Hernandez and [Wes] Welker. And I appreciate that. I know you have some great receivers and you have a great quarterback. But how hard is it when you’ve got JPP [Jason Pierre-Paul], Osi [Umenyiora], [Justin] Tuck up in your face.’’

The approving roar arrives on cue.

“I feel like I’ve come home here,’’ DeOssie tells the amped-up crowd. “I’m a Giant in my heart, I’m so glad my son’s a New York Giant. I struggle sometimes up in New England, but I know I’ve got a home in New York. I love you guys.’’

Damning? Hardly. Damaging to how he’s perceived in New England and to his credibility as an analyst? Maybe, though it shouldn’t be.

DeOssie said yesterday he doesn’t regret his participation in the rally, but wishes that he’d chosen a few words differently.

“The thing that’s lost in translation is that I talked about the great players that the Patriots have,’’ DeOssie said. “The mistake I made was that I didn’t explain why I struggle between New York and New England.

“I’m a native Bostonian; of course I’m a Patriots fan, too, but I have such an allegiance to the Giants for everything they did for me. And I choose to live here. I should have been more specific as to what I struggle with.’’

It should not be overlooked that DeOssie’s loyalty is born of a time when he had struggles of a more serious nature.

“When I got arrested with pot paraphernalia [while playing for the Giants], they could have easily dismissed me and wrote me off,’’ DeOssie said. “But the Mara family, the leadership of the Giants, asked me one simple question: if I wanted help.

“And when I said I wanted help, that’s all they needed to hear, and got me the help I needed. It was the single most important non-family episode in my life.’’

DeOssie appears on WEEI, Channel 4, and Comcast SportsNet New England. What follows are statements from each outlet.

Comcast SportsNet New England spokeswoman Laura Hannon: “We have no doubt that Steve is a credible football analyst. He is an NFL veteran who played for some of the league’s highest-profile teams and has remarkable knowledge of the game. He has been transparent about his family affiliations and we do not believe they have impacted his ability to objectively analyze football games.’’

WEEI program director Jason Wolfe: “I think that Steve is a terrific analyst who has a tremendous ability to discuss all aspects of the game at a very high level. We’ve worked together for many years and he’s done an excellent job.’’

CBS Boston director of communications Ro Dooley Webster: “We have received quite a bit of feedback from viewers, and we will continue to consider viewer response as we evaluate our plans for next season.’’

DeOssie will take a pounding on the “Whiner Line’’ for a while, but a few jabs from some radio wise guys is the most punishment he deserves. His appearance at the Giants pep rally should not cost him any of his jobs talking about the Patriots.

DeOssie has proven in this market for more than 15 years that when he is not obligated to play an ex-jock caricature on the radio, he is more than capable of providing honest and insightful analysis of the Patriots, no matter whether his football heart is here or elsewhere.

Chad Finn can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @globechadfinn.
After I read Finn's piece in the paper this morning, I sent him the following e-mail message with the Subject Line: "Kudos!" Good Morning Chad, Congratulations on your membership in the "Good Ol' Boys of Boston Media" fraternity. Your admittence is proof-positive that even the fairest, most-independent minded can't resist their allure forever. Enjoy your benefits! Sincerely,

The Chad Finn piece is very telling.

Comcast and WEEI obviously won't care until they start losing money.

The Krafts always seem to care about their public image, so WBZ's open-ended response doesn't surprise me considering their business relationship with the Krafts.

Since the NFL season is over, DeOssie won't be appearing much on TV anyway.

The important thing is to keep the pressure on, and if WBZ brings back DeOssie when football comes back, fans have to turn the pressure back up.

Unfortunately for DeOssie he is sort of stuck with the position he has established in this instance. Had he handled this less cavalierly and without the rancor and animosity he exhibited when the story first broke he would be in much better shape by now. Instead he dug in his heels, claimed that since he is so media savvy he knew the cameras were on him at the rally and he said the things he wanted to say exactly as he wanted to say them. He then went on to dodge the real issues at play here regardless of the fact that everybody that has commented negatively has made the point that DeOssie always had the right to pick who he wanted to pick and root for the team of his choice for whatever reasons...sons...preference...whatever.

Then his "buddy" Buckley throws gasoline on the fire with his "knuckles dragging gorillas" comments or things to that effect and since DeOssie did not disassociate himself with those comments, both he and Buckley dug a deeper hole. On top of that the restaurant comments that make an effort to make light of the whole affair, again trying to put up this jovial, cavalier front while the video of the rally goes from public to private and while they selectively delete comments from the Facebook page having first indicated that they would not do so.

While on the one hand this is attached to sports and given the economic upheaval we are going through, seen from that perspective this might be viewed as something of a tempest in a teapot. On the other hand this is still about respect for ones neighbors on one level and the complete disdain that many members of the Boston media have for their audience on another.

What kills me about the latter of the two is that so many sports media personalities would love to work in a town where people really did care about the topics of their journalistic pursuits. Many sports media personalities struggle along in towns where sports is just a big nothing for the most part and viewed at about the same level of interest as how the bluefish are running off the cape this year. In other towns, these folks would be stuck writing under the headlines that you see in the New York Post, one level above or maybe below tabloid journalism. Don't see many Pulitzer's coming for those guys.

Instead of appreciating what they have here, many of them just drip with disdain for New England fans from across the sports spectrum. That is pretty disconcerting on many levels. New England fans regularly give opponent teams their due even in the face of just ridiculous stuff coming back in our direction. You would think that the Boston media would have some appreciation for the knowledge that the New England sports fan has, the importance we attach to sports endeavors and the way we express ourselves when compared to some other folks we know (step forward Eagles, Giants and Jets fans).

Personally I am pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents