PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeflateGate And The Softness Of The American Mind

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/deflategate-and-the-softening-of-the-american-mind-8b5580a9cd3c

Not even finished reading this yet, but I wanted to post it because it's making the same argument I made two weeks ago in my "This is pure HATORADE thread" - that this scandal isn't an indictment of the Patriots, but an indictment on how stupid the people of our society have become. Minds of Play-Doh.

Hey, lurking other-fans.

I don't dislike you because you hate us. I dislike you because you're so stupid and easily manipulated that it boggles the mind, and a cultural embarrassment to the country I live in.

To quote myself from my other thread created in the heat of this controversy, "I'm so sorry our public education system has failed you in such spectacular fashion."

Excellent read. Long but worth it. Amazing how stupid people are.

Today I picked up my son after his basketball practice and I was talking to the coach about the SBowl and this kid comes from nowhere and says "Patriots beat the Colts because they cheated. They cheated by deflating balls". I looked at him and smiled and just told him there is no evidence to support what you are saying. Nothing has been proven - it's just an accusation by a sore loser if a team". Anyways - he was an 11 yr old kid so didn't want to get into it with him but it just shows what this crap has done to our team's reputation. Parents should actually teach their kids to wait until evidence is there rather than give their children free reign to call teams as "cheats" which in my view is as serios an accusation as bullying or racism in this day and age.

Great article. Funny, I posted this in another thread right before I read it:
"People who want to call the Pats cheaters don't care anyway. It amazes me how some some people who otherwise seem to have the intelligence to get this, refuse to. The real "-gate" here is the amount and timing of misinformation that has been leaked to the press."

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/deflategate-and-the-softening-of-the-american-mind-8b5580a9cd3c

Not even finished reading this yet, but I wanted to post it because it's making the same argument I made two weeks ago in my "This is pure HATORADE thread" - that this scandal isn't an indictment of the Patriots, but an indictment on how stupid the people of our society have become. Minds of Play-Doh.

Hey, lurking other-fans.

I don't dislike you because you hate us. I dislike you because you're so stupid and easily manipulated that it boggles the mind, and a cultural embarrassment to the country I live in.

To quote myself from my other thread created in the heat of this controversy, "I'm so sorry our public education system has failed you in such spectacular fashion."
Just another hater looking to place blame where it doesn't belong. Statements like that make you look more like them than us. Keep up the good work.

This is a brilliantly-written article. thanks!

What really bothered me was that even educated people- scientists and engineers swallowed it whole and put the blinders on. People decided that truth wasn't important but sensationalism was. Every ignoramus out there has a voice and that to me is frightening. On the other hand, without the internet, the news would have already declared the pats as cheaters. No need to investigate further.

Love this quote from the piece:

Few journalists have the scientific literacy to ask the right questions, and, partly as a result, few of their readers, viewers, and listeners have the scientific literacy to notice or care.

7 years after camera position- gate, I am yet to find a single article from a sports journalist explaining what advanced scouting is. If they did they would find that noting sideline signals is something every team does and using cameras is a process improvement on standard advanced scouting methods. See link below.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394809&src=desktop&wjb

7 years after camera position- gate, I am yet to find a single article from a sports journalist explaining what advanced scouting is. If they did they would find that noting sideline signals is something every team does and using cameras is a process improvement on standard advanced scouting methods. See link below.
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394809&src=desktop&wjb

Interesting thing about that article: When you look up any of the ESPN stories on camera position-gate, a column comes up in the right hand margin that lists off all related news stories, commentaries, videos, etc from September 2007 through the Walsh interviews in May 2008.

That Scouts, Inc article, which explains that the tapes were not used for in-game adjustments, but for streamlineing the advanced scouting process, isn't included in that list.

To the OP and everybody else - most topics today are emoted, not reasoned...Deflategate is just the latest example of poor emotional intelligence. To put it another way, people are governed by feelings instead of thoughts - a common Star Trek theme.

An honest person will examine the fact before judging. On Deflategate and too many other things, people get bent out of shape and cherry-pick the facts (or myths) to justify their opinion.

Interesting thing about that article: When you look up any of the ESPN stories on camera position-gate, a column comes up in the right hand margin that lists off all related news stories, commentaries, videos, etc from September 2007 through the Walsh interviews in May 2008.

That Scouts, Inc article, which explains that the tapes were not used for in-game adjustments, but for streamlineing the advanced scouting process, isn't included in that list.

The stories recommended on the right typically come from a recommendation machine learning algorithm based on related articles that others have chosen to read. The scouts inc article isn't salacious enough for fans of 31 other teams to click on so naturally the algorithm determined that it wasn't interesting enough.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back