PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts bring back RB Dominic Rhodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe they saw Joseph Addai's production the second half of last year and are scared to death that Addai can't carry the load.

I still don't get how the media ball washes Addai so much when he got over 70 yards in a game only once (72 yards against KC with an impressive 3.4 YPC mind you) during the second half of the season. Yes, he had a handful of spectacular games last year, but overall he was average. Yet people talk about this guy as an elite RB when he only had 1072 yards and 4.1 YPC. He was 14th in the league in yards, 26th in YPC, and 2nd in TDs. Those are good, not great numbers.

Or maybe they saw Joseph Addai's production the second half of last year and are scared to death that Addai can't carry the load.

I still don't get how the media ball washes Addai so much when he got over 70 yards in a game only once (72 yards against KC with an impressive 3.4 YPC mind you) during the second half of the season. Yes, he had a handful of spectacular games last year, but overall he was average. Yet people talk about this guy as an elite RB when he only had 1072 yards and 4.1 YPC. He was 14th in the league in yards, 26th in YPC, and 2nd in TDs. Those are good, not great numbers.

At this point he is arguably the best RB to come out of the draft in 2006

Maroney,Bush and Jones-Drew are not as praised as Joseph is right now,Maybe things will change this season once these guys hit the 3rd year

Actually this just changed our offense a lot. We went from a weak RB corps to a strong one.

2007- Addai, Keith, Dawson
2008- Addai, Rhodes, Hart

You tell me which is stronger.

Rhodes isn't a starter in this league. He's not a "feature back," but I challenge you to find another RB who has a 100+ yard Super Bowl under his belt, is under 30, and who would sign for less than a million a year. You don't think that's a valuable pickup?

I see this as a pretty good move. Now we have good depth at RB with Addai, Rhodes, and Hart. We can afford to have the 3 RBs to share carries and keep each other fresh for the postseason. I dont think Rhodes forgot how to run the ball, he just played for a horrible offense in Oakland.

2nd in TD's is not a good number or a great number, it's a spectacular number. I don't care who you are. The Colts are a passing team with a pass blocking offensive line. Addai is an excellent back, and if Maroney had Addai's numbers, I'd say the exact same thing about him in the Patriot's pass first offense.

it is great rotation for the Colts, KK & DR can can rotate in and out of AA meetings.

it is great rotation for the Colts, KK & DR can can rotate in and out of AA meetings.

hahahah

I wouldn't say this was a good pickup if it wasn't the Colts. Just like if we picked up Kevin Faulk, or if you picked up Dom, no much would happen. It's the fact that he knows our offense and knows what Peyton wants out of him. That adds value.

Plus, the great thing about this is how Polian worked this deal. We let Dom walk in 2006, he promptly got the DUI (after we cut him, mind you...) and signed on with the Raiders, served his suspension, and then hardly ever played in Oakland. Now, we get him back at a bargain price, he doesn't have hardly any added "mileage" on him, and he's only a year older.

Oh by the way, he ran for over 240 yards in the 2 games that he started in Oakland. Dom can still play. He's just not a starter.

2nd in TD's is not a good number or a great number, it's a spectacular number. I don't care who you are. The Colts are a passing team with a pass blocking offensive line. Addai is an excellent back, and if Maroney had Addai's numbers, I'd say the exact same thing about him in the Patriot's pass first offense.

Yeah, but 14th in yards and 26th in YPC are pedestrian for a lead back. That makes Addai a great goalline RB, but not neccessarily a great lead back.

Look at it this way. Corey Dillion had 13 rushing TDs in 2006 (tied for fourth in the league), but only 812 rushing yards. Did that mean Dillon was a spectacular RB or have a spectacular year because he had 13 rushing TDs. Personally, I thought he was mediocre that year.

Last edited:
Yeah, but 14th in yards and 26th in YPC are pedestrian for a lead back. That makes Addai a great goalline RB, but not neccessarily a great lead back.

Look at it this way. Corey Dillion had 13 rushing TDs in 2006 (tied for fourth in the league), but only 812 rushing yards. Did that mean Dillon was a spectacular RB or have a spectacular year because he had 13 rushing TDs. Personally, I thought he was mediocre that year.

OK, now I don't know what we're arguing.
Are you just saying that Addai is a mediocre back period? Or that Maroney is better? Or that Dillon (who has over 2,000 more carries) is better than Addai?

I don't get what your point is. You think Addai gets too much media attention and didn't produce enough?

And your stats are skewed, brotha. I know exactly what list you're looking at to see that Addai was 26th is YPC, and you're leaving part of the story out. On that list, there are 7 players ahead of Addai who had less than 150 carries on the season. You know who's on top of that list? Jerious Norwood. Is he the best back in the NFL in your eyes?

And 14th in the NFL in rushing is pedestrian? What the heck does that mean? He's in the top half, dude, and he missed a game.

Last edited:
At this point he is arguably the best RB to come out of the draft in 2006

Maroney,Bush and Jones-Drew are not as praised as Joseph is right now,Maybe things will change this season once these guys hit the 3rd year

true, but as usual, the media has it wrong..at one point i thought we chose the worse back of the two between maroney and addai, i was wrong, we chose the better back

maroney is now the best back otu of the class of 06

Why not bring him back - he is only one season removed from being the Super Bowl MVP for them.

What's that? They gave that to Peyton? Seriously?

Let me revise:
Why not bring him back - he is only one season removed from being the real Super Bowl MVP for them.

I Believe That Is A Good Pick Up For The Colts

First impressions are important. Addai made a good first impression on Colt fans and the league, was instrumental in their SB win. When a player does that, people tend not too look to closely at his flaws, or at his second act. Addai was awful after the Patriot game last season. Awful.

Colt fans believe that was an aberration, and put more stock in his early success. IMo that is a mistake. Addai is a runner who plays with great heart and toughness, but has always, even in college, been prone to the big hit. He takes some of the most vicious poundings you will see due to some deficiency in his vision, and an innate warrior mentality.

Because of those problems, he can never be relied on as a lead rb, but must be used sparingly in the 15 carry per game range maximum, if he is to have a long and productive career. Otherwise, he will break down very quickly, like next season.

IMO that is part of the rationale in bringing Rhodes back, an acknowledgment by the Colt brass that Addai must be protected and is not really a bell-cow back.

How that compares to Maroney, we shall see. IMO Addai broke in the older, more mature and NFL ready player, performed early like a house of fire and has since slipped. I believe Maroney came in 2 years younger, less ready for the NFl passing game, and is ascending. IMO he surpassed Addai as a rb toward the end of '07, and that trend will continue next season until his superiority is uncontested.

Last edited:
I do not care about the Colts, I do not like the Colts.
I do not care who they pick up. Unless it is God himself, the Pats are still gonna knock the slobber out of the Colts when we meet in the regular season.
Rinse and repeat in the postseason.
Peyton, say hello to Mayo and field turf. Get used to it.

Why not bring him back - he is only one season removed from being the Super Bowl MVP for them.

What's that? They gave that to Peyton? Seriously?

Let me revise:
Why not bring him back - he is only one season removed from being the real Super Bowl MVP for them.

I must just be too old to believe some of the crap I read here. How can anyone, even a Pats fan, hate on an all time great QB like Manning? It irks me all the same when a Colts fan behaves so asinine towards Brady. I think I finally figured it out, I'm on a message board with a bunch of teenyboppin' homers who are so blind they can't see the two greatest QB's of all time playing in the same era. I'm certain you one of the fools who claimed that Manning would never win a SB. I'm sure you were while I sat back and realized how stupid you all sounded. Manning is a champion and in some people's minds he'll be the greatest to ever play. Tom is a champion as well and in our minds he'll be the greatest to ever play just as others think it's Favre, Montana, Elway, or even Marino. Time to man up. To make comments like what you made just shows your idiocy and lack of love for and appreciation for the game of football.

Last edited:
First impressions are important. Addai made a good first impression on Colt fans and the league, was instrumental in their SB win. When a player does that, people tend not too look to closely at his flaws, or at his second act. Addai was awful after the Patriot game last season. Awful.

Colt fans believe that was an aberration, and put more stock in his early success. IMo that is a mistake. Addai is a runner who plays with great heart and toughness, but has always, even in college, been prone to the big hit. He takes some of the most vicious poundings you will see due to some deficiency in his vision, and an innate warrior mentality.

Because of those problems, he can never be relied on as a lead rb, but must be used sparingly in the 15 carry per game range maximum, if he is to have a long and productive career. Otherwise, he will break down very quickly, like next season.

IMO that is part of the rationale in bringing Rhodes back, an acknowledgment by the Colt brass that Addai must be protected and is not really a bell-cow back.

How that compares to Maroney, we shall see. IMO Addai broke in the older, more mature and NFL ready player, performed early like a house of fire and has since slipped. I believe Maroney came in 2 years younger, less ready for the NFl passing game, and is ascending. IMO he surpassed Addai as a rb toward the end of '07, and that trend will continue next season until his superiority is uncontested.

I read ad nauseam from various media outlets that Addai had a broken bone in his chest. I'd like to see you play and take square hits with that injury. I only wish Maroney wasn't so soft. I like Maroney but it's clear he'll never be what we need at RB.

Last edited:
I must just be too old to believe some of the crap I read here. How can anyone, even a Pats fan, hate on an all time great QB like Manning? It irks me all the same when a Colts fan behaves so asinine towards Brady. I think I finally figured it out, I'm on a message board with a bunch of teenyboppin' homers who are so blind they can't see the two greatest QB's of all time playing in the same era. I'm certain you one of the fools who claimed that Manning would never win a SB. I'm sure you were while I sat back and realized how stupid you all sounded. Manning is a champion and in some people's minds he'll be the greatest to ever play. Tom is a champion as well and in our minds he'll be the greatest to ever play just as others think it's Favre, Montana, Elway, or even Marino. Time to man up. To make comments like what you made just shows your idiocy and lack of love for and appreciation for the game of football.
What did dhamz say that ruffled your feathers?

I see him saying that Dominic Rhodes got screwed out of the MVP award in SB 41 because of Peyton's mystique and Peyton should not have been MVP because Rhodes played a better game for his team and was the main reason why they won THAT game!.

I don't see where in his post that he said Peyton was not a great QB - Do you read or see something from his post that I didn't read? :confused:

OK, now I don't know what we're arguing.
Are you just saying that Addai is a mediocre back period? Or that Maroney is better? Or that Dillon (who has over 2,000 more carries) is better than Addai?

I don't get what your point is. You think Addai gets too much media attention and didn't produce enough?

And your stats are skewed, brotha. I know exactly what list you're looking at to see that Addai was 26th is YPC, and you're leaving part of the story out. On that list, there are 7 players ahead of Addai who had less than 150 carries on the season. You know who's on top of that list? Jerious Norwood. Is he the best back in the NFL in your eyes?

And 14th in the NFL in rushing is pedestrian? What the heck does that mean? He's in the top half, dude, and he missed a game.

I am saying Addai is a good, not a great RB. I would put him in the 10-15 range of RBs in the league. People around the league treat the guy as elite.

Try to spin the 14th place anyway you like. Middle of the pack is average in my book my book. Considering he had over 700 of his yards in the first half of the season and limped through the second half, the number is a bit misleading in his favor.

As for the 26th spot, even if you strip away the parttime Rbs, he is still not that great.

As for comparing him to Maroney or Dillon, I never was comparing them except to point to Dillon's worst season as a pro to show 12 TDs isn't all that impressive. No one is calling Maroney elite like they do with Addai.

The only thing I can agree with you is that anyone in here who does not agree than Peyton Manning is and is going to be known as one of the NFL's greatest QBs of all time is a flat out idiot and moron and beyond the homer characteristic

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes