PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Quarter Backs *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Good Evening, Ladies and Gents...

I humbly and quietly offer this Thread ~ the first of many, as I'll be circumnavigating the entire Roster ~ to my Fellow Patriots Fans ~ KoolAid Soaked Homers + Bile Soaked Haters, alike!! :D ~ as a Gathering Place ~ a common reference ~ for Quarter Back Prospects.

I make no pretensions of Scouting Expertise.

I watch Tape, but that doesn't mean I understand it. :eek:

That statement, of course, is true of 99.999% of FootBall fans around the WORLD.

...And .001% of them actually ADMIT it!! :D

MIND You...

I'm not here to judge anyone here: Only to admit my OWN human frailties.

And as such...90% of my Evaluations are derivative: I analyze the Reports of the experts, I compare and contrast them...and I draw my own conclusions, based on what I consider critical...which is often DIRECTLY at odds with General Consensus.

Take it as you will, gentlemen...and ladies.

Andrew Luck of Stanford ~ 6.4/234

Beast!!

361014897.jpg

When I look at how these Scouts and Analysts regard a QuarterBack, I don't give a rat's ass about how far he can throw it on a wire, or how fast he runs the 40: Anyone who thinks that those Skills are the most critical ones in assessing a QuarterBack's ability to lead a team to a Championship have overlooked the last 90 years of History.

When I look at how these Scouts and Analysts regard a QuarterBack, 90% of my evaluation derives from comments on his Processing Speed, his Diagnostic Acuity, his Pocket Presence, and his Mechanics.

Those ~ the overwhelming majority ~ who say that Andrew Luck is the best Quarter Back prospect to come out since Peyton Manning are actually missing the mark.

Peyton Manning is not blessed with Andrew Luck's Processing Speed.

Luck isn't perfect, mind you: both NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang and National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting mention that his Diagnostic Acuity needs some work, in regards to forcing plays and reaping Interceptions...But that's nit picking, as he's not exactly prone to such mistakes.

Furthermore, Rang offers rare praise, indeed, in lauding Luck's readiness to Check Down to the Running Game, if he sees it as the best option. This, in particular, in an age obsessed with throwing the ball, reveals what I consider to be a startling level of Generalship for such a young man.

And, indeed, both Rang and Bunting gave him excellent grades in all of what I consider to be The Essentials: Processing Speed, Diagnostic Acuity, Pocket Presence, and Mechanics, as well as Accuracy. Indeed, all attributes were accorded excellent grades ~ even his Mobility ~ with the exception of Arm Strength, where he graded only average.

Arm Strength is, without peer, the most overrated attribute of a successfull Quarter Back, far more even than Mobility.

Arm Strength does not win Championships.

Processing Speed and Diagnostic Acuity ~ the ability to rapidly read Defenses, find the weak spot, and decisively deliver a strike ~ whether on the ground or through the air ~ are what makes for a Championship Quarter Back.

And Andrew Luck commands those attributes in spades.

Beast!!

Matt Barkley of Southern California ~ 6.2/220

Beast!!

999270760.jpg

Matt Barkley is an exceptional prospect.

Both NFL Draft Scout's Chad Reuter and National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting praise Barkley's Processing Speed, Diagnostic Acuity, and Pocket Presence, while Reuter also lauds his Mechanics.

Neither has anything particularly enticing to say about his Arm Strength or his Mobility, though his Arm Strength is fine, if not remarkable, and his Accuracy gets good grades.

Most folks place at least equal weight on the Arm Strength and Running Game, his least remarkable features, as on the rest of his Game. And indeed most folks rank Arm Strength as the very most important Category, with running potential generally thought to add immense value.

I consider that pure Folly.

The Great Quarter Backs through the ages have, for the great part, been noteworthy not for their Arm Strength or Scrambling ability, but for their Processing Speed and their Diagnostic Acuity: Their ability to read a field rapidly and well...and decisively.

And on those critical points, Barkley grades out as outstanding.

For those reasons, I consider him ~ unlike most of the strong armed slingers of the 2011 Draft Class ~ completely worthy of his currently lofty Market Value.

Beast.

Landry Jones of Oklahoma ~ 6.4/220

Vastly OverRated!!

347736803.jpg

I reserve the right, in all cases, to change my mind between now and Draft 2012, as new information comes in, but my current opinion of Landry Jones as a Quarter Back is not a favorable one, I'm afraid.

His is a textbook case of precisely what makes my perspective unusual.

Most gurus will give him an high Grade, due to his exceptional Arm Strength, and suggest that everything else is correctable, with good coaching.

And they may well be right: Most things are correctable, with good coaching and a fanatical level of determination.

And hopefully Jones will beat my Call: I have nothing against him, and wish him the very best.

But as far as evaluations go: Here we have a kid about whom Rob Rang of NFL Draft Scout and Wes Bunting of National FootBall Post both express concerns regarding his Processing Speed, his Diagnostic Acuity, his Pocket Presence, and his Mechanics, as well as his Accuracy.

To my mind, those attributes are all more important than Arm Strength, which, frankly, is an attribute that I consider vastly overrated by most.

For those reasons, I must currently assess young Mister Jones as carrying an extremely high level of risk for a 1st Rounder. I hope he lands in the right situation, and proves to have the character needed to master this game, but based on what I currently see, I see his Market Value as vastly overrated.

Caveat Emptor!!

Ryan TanneHill of Texas A&M ~ 6.4/220

Raw Gem but OverRated!!

402650700.jpg

Ryan TanneHill is very intriguing prospect, and a very risky one, considering his 1st Rounder Market Value.

He's only been starting at Texas A&M for about a year, and he's raw.

As such, he currently gets poor grades for Processing Speed, Diagnostic Acuity, Pocket Presence, and Mechanics, the attributes I value so highly, as well as Accuracy.

Only in Arm Strength and Mobility ~ the attributes I don't give a rat's ass about, but which are generally so highly valued ~ does he get good marks.

Even so, it is agreed, by NFL Draft Scout's Chad Reuter and National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting, that he is an exceptionally talented young man, very intelligent, a dedicated team mate and hard worker...and an inspiring leader.

And I like him, myself: as a former Split End, he's received invaluable cross training, albeit at the expense of more experience behind Center. And he grades high in Intangibles, which, while cliched in so many ways, are, ironically, still generally underrated in their ultimate impact on a Prospect's fortunes.

But considering that he's still a developmental Quarter Back, at this stage, I think you have to give him a Mid Round grade, as, indeed, Mocking The Draft's Jon Dove does.

OverRated!!

As always, the preceding thoughts were regurgitated, derivative tripe, adding no value whatsoever, while in fact obliterating intelligent thought and offending the spirit of all decent men. You are now stupider for having read it, and are encouraged, in the strongest possible language, never to expose your eyes to this Site again.

Brandon Weeden of Oklahoma State ~ 6.4/220

OverRated

929257561.jpg

Interesting comments on Brandon Weeden...

I'd like to think that I can watch a few Game Tapes on a Prospect and boil him down for you, but at this stage in my young Scouting career, I simply haven't developed that level of expertise. More importantly, NFL Draft Scout and National FootBall Post get the "22" Tape, and I do not, and that is a fatal difference between what they can see and what the rest of us can see. As such, it is wise to defer to them on matters of observation, to integrate what their expertise and experience provides...and to then draw one's own conclusions, based on History, Instinct, and our own best Judgment.

NFL Draft Scout's Chad Reuter and National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting both paint a sketchy picture of Brandon Weeden's Processing Speed and Diagnostic Acuity...And they're none too complimentary when it comes to his Pocket Presence and Mechanics, to say nothing of his Accuracy.

Great arm.

Needless to say, I'm cold on the kid.

I don't give a rat's ass that he's 28. If he's good, he could play at an high level for the next 10 years.

I just don't think he projects as a very good Quarter Back.

High grades on Intangibles, though, with Reuter and Bunting, and with me.

And that goes a long way.

Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong.

But we'll see.

As for now, I can't give him a good grade.

His arm and his stats give him a Market Value of about a 3rd Rounder.

I consider that a bit optimistic, though not egregiously so.

OverRated.

Kirk Cousins of Michigan State ~ 6.3/204

OverRated

271627044.jpg

NFL Draft Scout's Chad Reuter and National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting both give Kirk Cousins sketchy reviews in terms of Processing Speed, Diagnostic Acuity, Pocket Presence, Mechanics, and Accuracy.

That's not good.

Cousins has a Market Value in the neighborhood of the 4th Round, right about now, so that's not too bloated.

Even so, one is given to wonder if he would command even a draftable grade, if he didn't lead Michigan State.

For now, I've got to go with:

OverRated.

Ryan Lindley of San Diego State ~ 6.4/216

OverRated

862782954.jpg

Ryan Lindley gets pretty dubious reviews on his Processing Speed, Diagnostic Acuity, Pocket Presence, and Mechanics ~ to say nothing of his Accuracy ~ from both from NFL Draft Scout's Chad Reuter, and from National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting.

Notice how those first 4 attributes ~ all 5, really ~ tend to flow together?

He gets excellent grades for his Arm Strength, alone...and that may very well be his Achilles Heel.

Arm Strength will only get you so far.

And when you find that out...it's usually too late.

His Market Value is currently about the 5th Round.

And even that, frankly, is shooting high, in my opinion, for this developmental Quarter Back.

OverRated.

As always, the preceding thoughts were regurgitated, derivative tripe, adding no value whatsoever, while in fact obliterating intelligent thought and offending the spirit of all decent men. You are now stupider for having read it, and are encouraged, in the strongest possible language, never to expose your eyes to this Site again.

OffTheGrid- as usual nice work,hope NFL GMs feel the same as we maybe shopping 1 or 2 QBs this year. They can draft a nice OT in 1st rd & get a TB backup in the second.

OffTheGrid- as usual nice work,hope NFL GMs feel the same as we maybe shopping 1 or 2 QBs this year. They can draft a nice OT in 1st rd & get a TB backup in the second.

The Patriots will only be actively shopping one QB (Hoyer).

They'll listen if they get a crazy offer for Mallett, but I doubt that he's going anywhere or that any such offers will happen this year.

Laundry Jones isn't Sam Bradford. In 3 games I've seen of him, it's usually a predetermined read and throw. I don't see him having any success in the NFL.

"Taxi Squad with no Cab Fare." Nice!! :rofl:

Yeah, I'd be shocked to hell if Mad Bill actually shops both back up QB's, per my Fanatical Philosophy...

But there's no harm in wishfull thinking!! :D

The Patriots will only be actively shopping one QB (Hoyer).

They'll listen if they get a crazy offer for Mallett, but I doubt that he's going anywhere or that any such offers will happen this year.

Yeah, 'fraid so.

My notion of trading both is predicated on:

1 ~ I'm running the show...And I seem to be a few Billion short. :blush:

2 ~ We clinch early and FEATURE both back ups, week 17.

Laundry Jones isn't Sam Bradford. In 3 games I've seen of him, it's usually a predetermined read and throw. I don't see him having any success in the NFL.

True story. :cool:

I've been very high on WVU's Geno Smith since early last season when he led a tremendous comeback against Marshall. I think he shows every quality you look for in a pro QB. His poise, the way he goes through his progressions, his pocket presence and simply his football IQ are all extremely impressive. Anyone else have thoughts on him?

Great stuff. Thanks for the article. Will you do something similar on other positions ?

Yeah, 'fraid so.

OK, let's play this game for a second . . .

Give me a scenario that has BB trading both. You don't need to go through all the details; just tell me where you could see them going, what the Pats get for them . . . and who the Pats get to back up TFB.

What do you think about Tyler Wilson from arkansas? He probably wont declare this year but you never know

Really down on Jones. His throw is incredibly LONG. To me, that's the worst thing a QB can have.

Really down on Jones. His throw is incredibly LONG. To me, that's the worst thing a QB can have.

Yep. Slow release. Huge wind up. Bad in the nfl. Could work in a west coast offense.

Great stuff. Thanks for the article. Will you do something similar on other positions ?

Thank you, Brother Daigle!! :D

Sorry to be so slow on the rebound: I've been ~ well ~ Off The Grid for the last couple days...

YES!! I will be running through the entire gamut, one position at a time, starting tomorrow!!

Yeah, 'fraid so.

OK, let's play this game for a second . . .

Give me a scenario that has BB trading both.

You don't need to go through all the details; just tell me where you could see them going, what the Pats get for them . . . and who the Pats get to back up TFB.

What?? That IS all the details, Bro!! :lol2:

I'm not gonna get into specifics at this early stage...

Suffice to say, as I mocked it up on the Mock thread: I didn't say Mad Bill would trade both. I said that I would trade both: I figured a 2nd and change for Mallett, and a 3rd and change for Hoyer. As to where, it's too early to tell...

Two guys I like at this stage to replace them are Gary Joe Kinne of Tulsa, and BJ Coleman of Chattanooga, both of whom are currently projected as UFA's.

I don't like them anywhere near as much as Greg McElroy and Ricky Stanzi from last year, but they've both got plenty to work with, and it'd be a great way to raise additional Draft Capital while getting some nice raw material to work with...I'd want to bring in a vet, too, to compete with them.

I don't like them anywhere near as much as Greg McElroy and Ricky Stanzi from last year, but they've both got plenty to work with, and it'd be a great way to raise additional Draft Capital while getting some nice raw material to work with...I'd want to bring in a vet, too, to compete with them.

YES, I love me some Stanzi, not only does he have the physical potential to fine QB he also had the rare intelligence to seek out the guidance of TFB's mentor: the QB Whisperer!

NFL Videos: The Season: The QB Whisperer

Could that with the testicular fortitude to proclaim "if you don't love it (USA) leave it" in today's politically correct university system and you ABSOLUTELY have true Patriot material.

I'd love to trade Mallett for loot, which I would use to trade for Stanzi and pocket the sizable difference!

What?? That IS all the details, Bro!! :lol2:

I'm not gonna get into specifics at this early stage...

Suffice to say, as I mocked it up on the Mock thread: I didn't say Mad Bill would trade both. I said that I would trade both: I figured a 2nd and change for Mallett, and a 3rd and change for Hoyer. As to where, it's too early to tell...

Two guys I like at this stage to replace them are Gary Joe Kinne of Tulsa, and BJ Coleman of Chattanooga, both of whom are currently projected as UFA's.

I meant you don't need to go into who you'd draft with those picks, why those particular teams would take Mallett/Hoyer, etc.

I was VERY impressed by Luck this weekend, even though they lost he showed magnificent poise by stepping into throws right as he was getting hit from in front. He also kept his composure very well after throwing a pick 6, no emotional outbursts, he was focused not on himself but rather on helping the receiver who made the mistake get past it, true class and leadership.

Grid, what do you think of Kellen Moore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back