Welcome to PatsFans.com

Yates: Picked up pieces from first quarter of Eagles game

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MoLewisrocks, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

Re: YatesL Picked up pieces from first quarter

Excellent....

3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,548 / 20 / -9

#3 Jersey

Re: YatesL Picked up pieces from first quarter

Imagine if they could actually rotate Brace, Love, and Wilfork through the big men spots. Or even use all of them at the same time in the 4-3. :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

On to the second quarter and overall take on the half. The D was put in some unfortunate situations due to turnovers and mistakes were made by some bubble defenders, but by and large the increasingly second and third or lower string D had a very good showing under less than ideal circumstances (facing a #1 offense minus the guy they practiced for).

Picked-up pieces from 2nd quarter review - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

5. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +404 / 7 / -0

#3 Jersey

Terrific stuff!!

Brother Mayo is fond of quoting Yates, who I have to say is one of the few Writers worth reading.

A few comments...

1 ~ This relatively quiet interlude may actually prove ~ ultimately ~ to be an Inflection Point for Ron Brace. He's obviously on the Bubble, and has had many issues, hereabouts...But he is, fundamentally, an outstanding D Tackle Prospect, and it may well be, after 3 years of travails, that it's finally all coming together for'm.

Indeed, my sense is that it is.

And if that's the case, he could prove to be an enormous and essential part of our Championship Quest.

2 ~ I have to say, too, that Ryan Wendell has finally grown into his Frame, and done so without losing any Athleticism. After hating on the guy for two years, I am delighted to have a double helping of Crow!! :D

Furthermore ~ and it astonishes me to say it ~ I believe we have another legitimate starting Center, here. :eek:

6. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +445 / 36 / -17

I felt really exposed that there was no backup for the 'Big Uglies'. Now it appears that Brace is becoming the player to fill the position that the Pats drafted him to be. A player who can give a Blow to Wilfolk, and not have the Pats create a hole in their defense, while V is resting.:)

I had already mentally committed to the Pats drafting a big DL in round 1 and a OL in Round 2 of the 2013 draft. Perhaps they will have the luxury of taking a WR to start developing for when the WR crew all go Over the Hill in a year or three together...:rolleyes:

Ebner looks like a future stud at Safety too, joining Jones as Willie McG II, and Hightower doing a fair imitiation of Ray Lewis...:cool:

It's getting hard to find obvious places for more high draftees for the Defense.:D

7. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

You can never have too many corners, and Arrington is a FA after this season and you can only sign them for 4 years now (with an option if taken in the first...). Chung will be a FA too unless extended in the interim or tagged. And Love will be a RFA.

Vollmer is a FA too though and you can truly never have enough TE's... ;)

There will be plenty to draft.

8. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,548 / 20 / -9

#3 Jersey

Which means the Pats will, unless something bizarre happens, (A) have him at a reasonable price next year, (B) sign him to a long-term deal, or (C) get a nice high draft pick to take his replacement. :)

9. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +567 / 19 / -26

2013 New England Patriots unrestricted free agents:

Offense
    Hoyer
    Branch
    Edelman
    Stallworth
    Welker
    Woodhead
    Thomas
    Vollmer
    Waters

Defense
    Brace
    Pryor
    Scott
    Carpenter
    Koutouvides
    Barrett
    Chung
    Allen
    Arrington
    Cole

Draft picks alone won't replace all the New England Patriots currently on the roster.

10. patfanken

patfanken Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 22 / -11

#91 Jersey

That looks like a relatively imposing list, but when you look at it more closely only around 7 of the 19 players you mentioned are likely to be signed, and only 3 of them are likely to cost more than 2MM/yr (Volmer, Chung, and maybe Arrington). Given the money saved releasing the 12 players I think will be gone, there will be plenty of money to resign the seven, add at least 6 draft picks, and a few free agents

In fact 3 or 4 might not make this roster let alone next year's ;).

Offense
    Hoyer - Gone
    Branch - Gone
    Edelman - Signed cheap
    Stallworth - Gone
    Welker - Gone
    Woodhead - Signed cheap
    Thomas - Gone
    Vollmer - Signed relatively expensive
    Waters - Gone

Defense
    Brace - Signed cheap
    Pryor - Gone
    Scott - Gone
    Carpenter - Signed cheap
    Koutouvides - Gone
    Barrett - Gone
    Chung - Signed relatively expensive
    Allen - Gone
    Arrington - Moderate money
    Cole - Gone

11. patfanken

patfanken Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,419 / 22 / -11

#91 Jersey

After a rookie season that he clearly wasn't ready for, Brace showed some flashes back in 2010 before he badly hurt his elbow. Last year was more pedestrian after he got off the PUP mid-way through the season, but competent. This season, he's shown the power to push the pocked and be a solid run stopper. He definitely looks like he's been in the DL rotation this season.

Just another example of fans need needing constant and immediate positive reinforcement from young players. Its the same with Cunningham. Personally I though he had a very good rookie year, given he was forced to start at a position that had usually taken players 3 or 4 years to master. The fact that he was able to set the edge and provide some pass rush was surprising, AND encouraging.

Last season he was a victim of the lock out. Actually victim is a bad word because it implies it wasn't his fault. But it was. He came in out of shape and ineffective. He deserved the most of the criticism he received. But he shouldn't have been dismissed. That being said, he has surprised even me with his acceleration off the edge. We saw nothing like it in his rookie year. That season he was more of a push guy than an explosive one.

With him, Jones, Bequette, Scott, and Hightower, his growth could very well make Andre Cunningham expendable....or at least make it easier not to meet his salary demands.

12. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +376 / 68 / -50

No Jersey Selected

I disagree. Chung hasn't shown that he should be paid any more than what Steven Gregory signed for.

13. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,518 / 20 / -4

#12 Jersey

Agreed. He still has this season to prove that he's worth being paid more than a league-average starter, but he certainly hasn't shown it yet.

14. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +386 / 6 / -20

#12 Jersey

Not as long as there is a concept of "defensive back". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.