PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread.

It was totally dirty, I agree. I'm sure the Italian guy deserved it though. It would be kinda like if Tom Brady just hauled off and wrecked a guy. You would be shocked, you would agree that it was uncalled for, and, knowing Brady's history, you'd be pretty sure that something really messed up had happened.
If Tom Brady ever did something like that, the internet would break. :D

I gotta be honest with you: I am NOT a fan of that chant :mad:

I hated it at first, but watching everyone go nuts every time it was chanted at the pub I watched the Ghana and Portugal games at got me into it.

Messi carrying his team like Brady in 2013!

This world cup is the hot topic of the moment no one is watching Wimbledon, Nadal just lose to a guy I never heard about.

This world cup is the hot topic of the moment no one is watching Wimbledon, Nadal just lose to a guy I never heard about.

That tends to happen to Nadal when he doesn't play on clay.

Enjoy the game, folks ... good luck!

I'm stuck at work for this one, but go USA!

Who's Nadal? :D

It looks like the USMNT is stuck at work too. They're lucky it isn't 3-0 at this point.

Yeah they're not looking good so far. Watching it on WatchESPN at work and from what I've seen, they're being completely outplayed.

So far so good for the US. They've been solid, they've kept Hazard quiet (he's been the worst player on the pitch) and largely kept the Belgians at bay. More importantly they've looked like they have a goal in them, especially down the right side.

Hopefully they can get that breakthrough in the second half.

Yeah they're not looking good so far. Watching it on WatchESPN at work and from what I've seen, they're being completely outplayed.
They look like they have the whole cup when we're ahead or ties. No possession, few scoring chances. Just OK. They look a lot better when they're behind.

The U.S. is controlling the possession so far. They just have to get an on-target shot.

Strange that we should give up size and speed to such a small country.

That being said, I agree with BP- solid so far. Defense bending but not breaking. Oops, did I just really say that?

The U.S. is controlling the possession so far.
Shockingly the stats back that up, but we don't have the good possession. We're in our half too much and have had far too many bad giveaways.

Strange that we should give up size and speed to such a small country.

That being said, I agree with BP- solid so far. Defense bending but not breaking. Oops, did I just really say that?

Just been having a discussion about something similar elsewhere.

In the US, the height/weight/speed guys fluctuate towards the NFL or Basketball. For the rest of the world it's normally football. That's why you see so many black players playing at a high level even if the percentage of the population makeup in that particular country is low. France and Belgium have enormous numbers of big, physical guys. Of all colours and creeds.

Got lucky there.

Granted I'm just watching this sporadically on WatchESPN, but it's hard to see the U.S. winning this one. Belgium is just dominating shots on goal and are constantly on our side of the field. Hard to see Belgium not getting one of those to go in in the next 30 minutes.

Kontra, territory doesn't quite mean the same in our football as it does yours. Teams often look to play on the counter-attack and draw teams on to them to help open space up behind the opposing defence. It becomes harder later in the game though if you can't "get out" so to speak.

Yedlin has been magnificent, by the way. Terrific looking player.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back