PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread.

Sh.t, great goal by Sniejder. Now the PK, game over.

F.cking flop., I hate Robben, lousy way to lose.

Yes, he flopped. Yes, I hate Robben too. Yes, it was a lousy way to lose. But, yes, it was a penalty. There was clearly contact. Hey, it's just like PI in the NFL!

Don't know if you watched the games yesterday, but this has been a very fair game compared with them. Unfortunately, the game is being played in temperatures that should never have been permitted. You'll never get a fast, flowing match like that. I blame FIFA (as with most things).

I was at the beach all day yesterday but I caught the end of the Brazil/Chilé match. Other than that, nothing. Actually ended up being a hell of an ending in the Netherlands/Mexico game.

Pretty compelling stuff in that Mexico-Orange People game!!!!!!!

Yes, he flopped. Yes, I hate Robben too. Yes, it was a lousy way to lose. But, yes, it was a penalty. There was clearly contact. Hey, it's just like PI in the NFL!

I disagree Mike, Robben initiated the contact and flopped, you can't give the dutch the game on that. It should have extra time, mexico probably would have dropped it anyway as the dutch were clearly in control at that point but it still sucks that a POS like Robben gets away with that. Sniejders goal was beautiful and another like that would have been a much better way to finish that game.,

And just like really bad PI calls that is no way to go out.

What sucks imo is that Robben does that time and time and time again hoping for the call and he ends up getting it in extra time, I can't wait until his career is over because after Suarez he is the player i most dislike.

The more they show that replay the more obvious it is that was no foul, Robben was going down even if Marquez never touched him, and Robben initiated the contact. Van Nistleroy was an amazing player but his bias is showing through big time.

Not really sure how you arrived at this conclusion, Belgium has been one of the best teams in the world over the past few years and are ranked fifth in the world rankings, additionally 12 of their players are currently playing in the English Premiere League and most of their team are playing in the best leagues in the world. Much as I love the US team the only players with any shot at playing for them are Dempsey and Howard and possibly Altidore and Bradley if he was playing his best, which he clearly isn't. The US can beat Belgium if they play an exceptional game but it would be a big upset.

Being good for the past few years does not translate into playing well now. Belgium has not looked that great in this WC. I'm not a guy who cares for individual performances - only how a team plays as a whole.

What sucks imo is that Robben does that time and time and time again hoping for the call and he ends up getting it in extra time, I can't wait until his career is over because after Suarez he is the player i most dislike.

I know you hate Robben big time. But the Mexico player is an idiot...if Robben does this time and time again then why is the Mexico player taking a chance like that in the penalty box with a bunch of Mexico players around him.

You can debate whether it should have been a penalty or not, or whether Robben was acting or not(I think he was) but the Mexico player forced the ref to make a call. That's just dumb! Mexico deserved to lose like that after that mistake by the Mexico player.

The more they show that replay the more obvious it is that was no foul, Robben was going down even if Marquez never touched him, and Robben initiated the contact. Van Nistleroy was an amazing player but his bias is showing through big time.

Sorry, but that's not the way it works. Robben was tripped. It doesn't matter if he could have avoided being tripped or if he made a meal of it afterwards: it's the contact that justifies the penalty.

What a heart breaker for Costa Rica. Greece is given extra time an makes them pay. As I'm typing this, Greece almost scores another goal on a header.

Costa Rica's goalie looks like he dislocated his shoulder.

Tough on the Costa Rican getting the second yellow card. Compare that with what the Uruguayans were allowed to get away with! And there was a clear missed penalty. But the Greeks had threatened and threatened. It's theirs to lose now ...

Tough on the Costa Rican getting the second yellow card. Compare that with what the Uruguayans were allowed to get away with! And there was a clear missed penalty. But the Greeks had threatened and threatened. It's theirs to lose now ...
Really tough for them to throw players forward ...

If I'm the coach I'm playing a 4-4-1 or a 4-5-0 and playing to the shootout.
Problem is a 4-5-0 invites more Greece backs into the play.

Costa Rica dodges a bullet with a 5 v 2 counter rush ... so much for laying back LOL.

5 on 2 break with a 3rd Costa Rican catching quickly to make it a 5 on 3, how do you not score Greece? :eek:

Costa Rica win on pens, brilliant stuff. It's great to see a new name making it a fair way into the tournament. They'll get stuffed against Holland, but it's been their tournament.

As for Holland, Mike - contact does not equal a penalty. Marquez barely touched him, certainly didn't impede him, and Robben threw himself over. If that's Suarez, the headlines would be full of "Suarez in dive storm" etc. It was a disgrace. Really feel for Mexico.

As for Holland, Mike - contact does not equal a penalty. Marquez barely touched him, certainly didn't impede him, and Robben threw himself over. If that's Suarez, the headlines would be full of "Suarez in dive storm" etc. It was a disgrace. Really feel for Mexico.

I hear you. But the two replays I saw show clear contact across the line of his run. I don't see how that doesn't impede you. Yes, he made a meal of it, and, yes, he's a nasty little squirt. But it still looks like a pen to me.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back