PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread.

It
What a game this is. Rojo turns one in off his knee and the Argies lead again. 3-2.

I don't know if I can remember a team as bad defensively as this Argentinian team dominating a group stage as they have.

It

I don't know if I can remember a team as bad defensively as this Argentinian team dominating a group stage as they have.

It's weird as well because they have some talent back there. Zabaleta's been one of the best in the world for some time now and Garay has shone since he left the limelight of Madrid. Throw in the keeper Romero as well as Fernandez and Rojo (who looks destined for a big future) then I'm not sure what's going on. It's just plain weird.

I've enjoyed watching Argentina's style of play more than any other team in the World Cup. For those smarter than me about these things, are they just more aggressive or what? Seems like they're constantly on the attack.

It's weird as well because they have some talent back there. Zabaleta's been one of the best in the world for some time now and Garay has shone since he left the limelight of Madrid. Throw in the keeper Romero as well as Fernandez and Rojo (who looks destined for a big future) then I'm not sure what's going on. It's just plain weird.

That's why included coaching in my earlier post, it really seems like the Sabella has not figured out how to align this team so they can get the best out of Messi and defend effectively, although he's till a million times better as a coach than Maradona was.If they have any hope of winning the WC Sabella is going to have to figure this out or Messi is going to have to completely dominate the tournament, which to his credit he has done for them so far.

FTR I really appreciate the contributions you and a number of other really knowledgeable soccer fans have made to this thread, I love soccer but my knowledge of it is elementary compared to a number of you guys, and it is refreshing that we have been able to discuss it without it being primarily a pissing match between those who love the game and those who want to crap on it.

I haven't really watched Argentina yet this WC, but my guess would be when you make the decision to leave a player like Tevez, who literally can walk into any other starting lineup, at home, and still have Messi, Aguero, Lavezzi, Higuain etc...that doesn't seem like a team that's built to defend lol

I've enjoyed watching Argentina's style of play more than any other team in the World Cup. For those smarter than me about these things, are they just more aggressive or what? Seems like they're constantly on the attack.

From my purist POV, I think they've flattered to deceive. Chile and Colombia have probably caught they eye most with swift decisive football, Argentina have been quite 'meh'. Messi's provided the spark really and has carried them through a group that on paper they should have annihilated.

Aguero, Lavezzi, Di Maria, Palacio, Higuain - that's an absolute embarrassment of riches to have in the forward positions (without mentioning the little genius), yet they've struggled tremendously.

Thing is, they have a proper pedigree at this level. Never count them out. Especially with Leo.

That's why included coaching in my earlier post, it really seems like the Sabella has not figured out how to align this team so they can get the best out of Messi and defend effectively, although he's till a million times better as a coach than Maradona was.If they have any hope of winning the WC Sabella is going to have to figure this out or Messi is going to have to completely dominate the tournament, which to his credit he has done for them so far.

I didn't quite understand the Sabella appointment, he'd done well as Pasarella's top lieutenant and his one stint in club management had gone well, but it seemed too much too early. They're winning games, which is what really matters, and he seems to have taken Guardiola's advice of "if you want to keep Messi happy, give him the ball" and stuck to it, religiously. It's not a bad tactic, I suppose....

FTR I really appreciate the contributions you and a number of other really knowledgeable soccer fans have made to this thread, I love soccer but my knowledge of it is elementary compared to a number of you guys, and it is refreshing that we have been able to discuss it without it being primarily a pissing match between those who love the game and those who want to crap on it.

Thanks man, I don't think I have all the answers to some of the questions you guys raise, but I try to give the benefit of my 34 years of watching footy.

If you ever get chance to come over by the way, do, and get yourself on a game. Not in the Premier League though, the grounds are too corporate nowadays.

I haven't really watched Argentina yet this WC, but my guess would be when you make the decision to leave a player like Tevez, who literally can walk into any other starting lineup, at home, and still have Messi, Aguero, Lavezzi, Higuain etc...that doesn't seem like a team that's built to defend lol

Indeed! :D

Sabella has been playing with two deep-lying midfielders too, but it's barely made a difference. They look so unorganised and open.

Indeed! :D

Sabella has been playing with two deep-lying midfielders too, but it's barely made a difference. They look so unorganised and open.

Is Gago one of the DM? If so that explains alot! He's terrible!!!

Is Gago one of the DM? If so that explains alot! He's terrible!!!

The one and the same. He's been playing with Mascherano as anchor and then Gago slightly further forwards.

On a side note i have been really really impressed with Taylor Twellman as an analyst, Lalas is pretty much worthless but Twellman and Martinez have been excellent imo.

The one and the same. He's been playing with Mascherano as anchor and then Gago slightly further forwards.

I always thought Mascherano was class in Liverpool!

Prince Boeteng and Muntari both kicked out of the Ghana squad

Suarez suspended for 9 games + 4 months totally away from soccer.

Can one of you European soccer followers explain how the selling of players works ?

When a team sells a player is that money generally used as a pot to buy more players or does the owner sometimes just keep it. Like if Suarez goes to Spain for close to 100M pounds, will Liverpool spend all that on players ? Do they generally do it immediately or sometimes keep it to spend over several years ? Does the player have to go if he's sold or is it a mutual thing ?

Thanks for any explanation.

In the end it always comes down to "Two teams, one cup".

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back