PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill defer if we win the SB51 coin-toss?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Bill defer if we win the SB51 coin-toss?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not discount the possibility that Bill solely took the ball vs Pittsburgh because the weather forecast in the to start the 2nd half looked worse than the start of the game (not saying the forecast was worse, just saying its possible this happened)

We are going to receive if we win. Bill will want their defense to try to play from behind to expose them.

Plain and simple: ATL cannot stop our OFF.
Just worry about containing their OFF.
That's the game.

Brady ain't losing this game! He has unfinished business. Ironically, the most exciting part will be after the actual game:D

I don't think those overall season numbers are helpful. They don't take into account how a defense can improve, especially one that is as young as Atlanta's. The median age of the Falcons' 11 most-used defenders is 24, and seven of those guys — Beasley, Jones, Neal, tackle Grady Jarrett, linebacker De’Vondre Campbell, and cornerbacks Brian Poole and Jalen Collins — are in their first or second seasons in the NFL.

Their head coach, Dan Quinn, is only in his second year in Atlanta, and has had to help rebuild their defense on the fly, implementing new schemes and making personnel adjustment. You also have to consider how they lost their star cornerback (Desmond Trufant ) to a season-ending injury in Week 9. So this is basically a defense that has had to be rebuilt and find its identity over the course of the season.

To get a better sense of their potential or the threat they can pose in the Super Bowl, you would have to look at how they've improved after the Week 11 bye.

Falcons Defense (Before Bye)
385.9 yards allowed per game
28.3 points allowed per game
1.57 turnovers per game

Falcons Defense (After Bye)
346.67 allowed per game
20.4 points allowed per game
1.83 turnovers per game

The post-bye 1.83 turnover rate would place them in the top-5 for the season had they maintained that pace all year, their points allowed per game would have them inside the top-12, and their yards allowed would have them in the top-16.

This post-bye trajectory has also continued into the postseason. Since the Nov. 20 bye week, they have won seven of their last eight games, and allowed 21 or fewer points six of those eight outings. In that stretch of eight games, Atlanta has also forced 15 turnovers — four more than it managed over the first 10 weeks of the regular season.

Collins and Poole have helped keep the secondary afloat after Trufant suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 9. Their progression is such that their secondary got even better. From Week 1 to Week 9, the Falcons were 23rd in pass defense DVOA; but from that point on, they were 11th (ending at 19th on the season) and their defensive passer rating had fallen from nearly 101 to under 78. Meanwhile, linebackers Jones and Campbell are playing faster and smarter in all phases, which has stabilized many of the personnel packages Quinn spent the first half of the season tinkering with.

Overall, the Falcons defense has been a solid complement to their offense. They are not an elite defense by any means (ranking dead last in run-defense DVOA over the second half of the season)  but they are playing good complementary football, particularly when playing with a significant lead.

This was evident last night in the NFC Championship Game. While their offense got off to a quick start, Atlanta's young defense succeeded in pressuring Aaron Rodgers with six quarterback hits, two sacks; they also generated two turnovers, including an interception. Indeed, for the first 35 minutes of the game, the Falcons had kept Green Bay entirely out of the endzone. By the time the Packers finally got on the scoreboard, Atlanta had already amassed a 31-0 lead.

The point is, when other teams are forced to pass the ball to keep up with their offense, the Falcons have been able to aggressively get after the quarterback and generate turnovers.

Not to disregard all of this, because it is very valid and true that they have improved, but at the same time, this was the same argument for the Steelers last week. They actually have a lot in common with each other. The turnover improvement was a huge part of both defenses gaining significant traction, and aiding in bigger blowouts.

I will be very very surprised if Tom has any turnovers against this young of a defense. Maybe a strip sack from the blindside, but when Brady is thinking three moves ahead of a defense, it's always bad news for the defense.

Now, they did have a good enough performance against Rodgers, but we are coming in a lot healthier at every position on offense. I am not taking them lightly, but I am thinking we will see another signature game from Brady.

Last edited:
I think he will take the ball and want the chance to jump out to a quick 7-0 lead and make the falcons chase us rather than the other way around. Also, coming from a guy that likes to defer 99 percent of the time, I want them to take the ball first as well.

In an ideal world, you score to end the half, have 40+ minutes of entertainment, take the ball and work their defense over for 5-7 minutes.

On the flip side, Atlanta wants the lead, and needs the lead to be successful on defense.

Both situations take confidence that you will be able to score in that possession. That will take precision and focus. Having a drop like Mitchell's next game is out of the question against an offense this good.

Defer. Don't want Atlanta going into the half with a lead and coming out with the ball. You want to avoid them having back to back possessions.

Not to disregard all of this, because it is very valid and true that they have improved, but at the same time, this was the same argument for the Steelers last week. They actually have a lot in common with each other. The turnover improvement was a huge part of both defenses gaining significant traction, and aiding in bigger blowouts.

I will be very very surprised if Tom has any turnovers against this young of a defense. Maybe a strip sack from the blindside, but when Brady is thinking three moves ahead of a defense, it's always bad news for the defense.

Now, they did have a good enough performance against Rodgers, but we are coming in a lot healthier at every position on offense. I am not taking them lightly, but I am thinking we will see another signature game from Brady.
Fair enough. At the end of the day, the defining question for Super Bowl LI isn’t whether or not Brady has what it takes to take down Atlanta’s defense (Answer: He absolutely does) It’s whether New England's defense can slow down monster freight train that is Atlanta' offense.

I love these matchups. This is going to be so exciting!!

Last edited:
Adding to "occupying time with a week to go until the SB" here is the SB coin toss history during the BB/Brady era...

Loss (Pats Called Tails)
Kicked Off
Opening Drive: Rams Punt
W 20-17

Loss (Pats Called Heads)
Kicked Off
Opening Drive: Panthers Punt
W 32-29

Loss (Panthers Called Tails)
Kicked Off
Opening Drive: Eagles Punt
W 24-21

Loss (Pats Called Heads)
Kicked Off
Opening Drive: Giants FG
L 17-14

Won (Pats Called Heads)
Kicked Off / Deferred
Opening Drive: Giants Punt
L 17-24

Loss (Seahawks Called Heads)
Received
Opening Drive: Pats Punt

So if we receive this game, it'd be only the second time (2014) in the BB/Brady SB era.

If we win the coin toss, it'd be only the second time (2011) in the BB/Brady SB era.

If points are scored on the opening drive by either team, it'd be only the second time (2007) in the BB/Brady SB era.

Enjoy your trivia for the day ;)

Last edited:
I prefer to bat last. It puts you in a better p0sition to assess the game. And we have a qb who is hardly fazed by being at a 7-0 deficit. In fact, he seems to play with more determination when behind or evan.

why are so many assuming that if a team takes the ball first that the other team will always get the last possession before the half?

I actually think whichever team wins the toss will take the ball. Both offenses are just too efficient to risk going down early.

Pitt was a team you could score on and stop on D. I think the idea was get up on them and make them panic?

Against the Falcons getting up on them early is fairly meaningless. I would rather have the ability to regroup in half 2.

Our main concern is obviously their offense. Make half time adjustments and let them have the ball to start the 3rd quarter.

I actually think whichever team wins the toss will take the ball. Both offenses are just too efficient to risk going down early.
Quinn has yet to receive this year. Always defers

You never know what Bill will do, but here's another factor worth considering. Atlanta, a young team with not much SB experience, could be overly fired up. A fired up offense is prone to inaccurate throws and the jitters. If their offense is overly jacked up and a little caught up in the moment, it might be good to have their offense out there first and get a relatively easy scoreless possession.

If the offense sits and watches the pats for that first possession, the nerves might be more settled by the time they take the field.

Thinking on the Steelers, their Defense was what people were saying was going to win, he took it and shoved their nose in it. The Falcon's offense is suppose to be their best so he may kick off to them to make them prove it and perhaps catch them in jitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe