PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork fined for the 4th time this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork fined for facemask call?

I also think the fine was overboard, but given Wilfork's history this year I can see Goodell taking the hard view. As to intentional or not, though, it was called as a 15 yard personal foul rather than a 5 yard facemask, so the feeling was that it was intentional. And considering how long he held on, I really can't argue that it wasn't.

Just because it was CALLED intentional, doesn't mean it was. 1st and foremost, Wilfork was ENGAGED with an Charger's lineman. 2ndly, Wilfork tried to take him down one handed. IF you watch it in slow-motion, it could look intentional, but reality is that the game doesn't happen in slow motion and Wilfork only had a hold for a a few tenths of a second. Its not like Wilfork took Turner down bulldog style. Also, considering the one that Drayton Florence got away with on Welker, its BS. Florence's was much more intentional than Wilfork's, yet Florence's went uncalled.

On the Buffalo Jills site, their calling for suspension.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=38763

Who cares about the Jills? I don't. And the "fans" who have shown their faces here have mostly been ignorant fools who wouldn't know the difference between a face mask and a head butt.

EDIT: What's hilarious is that Chris Brown doesn't acknowledge that Wilfork's fine on Losman was reduced to $2500 and that was because Wilfork didn't try hard enough to NOT hit Losman even though it was unintentional.

Last edited:

Just because it was CALLED intentional, doesn't mean it was. 1st and foremost, Wilfork was ENGAGED with an Charger's lineman. 2ndly, Wilfork tried to take him down one handed. IF you watch it in slow-motion, it could look intentional, but reality is that the game doesn't happen in slow motion and Wilfork only had a hold for a a few tenths of a second. Its not like Wilfork took Turner down bulldog style. Also, considering the one that Drayton Florence got away with on Welker, its BS. Florence's was much more intentional than Wilfork's, yet Florence's went uncalled.
I didn't see the Florence one, but the Wilfork one looked pretty bad. Not sure if it looked worthy-of-a-fine bad, but I'll stick with "intentional" to describe it.

Wilfork has had a dirty season, like it or not. The blow on Losman looked pretty intentional whether it was or not it was uncalled for to throw your elbow at a QB. The eye poke was the lowest because there was just no debating that. They're sending VW a message to cut the ish out because they're watching him. It may have been unintentional but it was a personal foul penalty and he's on a much shorter leash than most players.

Goodell is like a little indecisive kid who suddenly has a lot of power.
The guy goes overboard with his sherriff mentality.

Wilfork has had a dirty season, like it or not. The blow on Losman looked pretty intentional whether it was or not it was uncalled for to throw your elbow at a QB. The eye poke was the lowest because there was just no debating that. They're sending VW a message to cut the ish out because they're watching him. It may have been unintentional but it was a personal foul penalty and he's on a much shorter leash than most players.
I don't know, I may be the only Patriots fan to, but I agree with you. Can't say I've liked Wilfork's questionable shots this season. It's no big deal, but it could have been done without.

There seems to be a lot of tangential posting on this topic. The point is, no matter WHAT kind of a season someone has had, why the Hell does a penalty (LEGITIMATELY CALLED ON THE FIELD) warrant additional punishment?

It's not like a horsecollar situation with Roy Williams, who does that particular move over and over and over. This was a face-mask, flag thrown, call made, on a play that was going 100 MPH in the middle of the scrum. He deserved the flag but a fine for something CLEARLY game-related is RIDICULOUS.

I see there's a new member on the Jills forum. :D

I didn't see the Florence one, but the Wilfork one looked pretty bad. Not sure if it looked worthy-of-a-fine bad, but I'll stick with "intentional" to describe it.

How was it pretty bad? Turner lowered his head at the same time Wilfork reached out. Turner had a full head of steam and Wilfork was going the other way while engaged with a Charger's lineman?

I'll ask you a question. Is Wilfork supposed to be a mind reader and KNOW that Turner is going to lower his head just at the moment that Wilfork reaches out to try and slow him down even though Wilfork is engaged with a Charger's O-lineman?

I really wish people would know what they are talking about.

1) The hit on Losman was not INTENTIONAL. Losman said it wasn't. And if you'd actually watched the game, you'd have seen Brad Butler clip Wilfork across the legs sending him into Losman.

2) There was NO EYE POKE. Wilfork's finger never touched Jacobs. That was from Jacobs himself. Yes, Wilfork pointed his finger at Jacobs and it his Jacobs grill, but there was NO EYE POKE.

3) He shouldn't be on a shorter leash unless the league is doing it to everyone. And, sorry, its not. Especially when the 1st fine was reduced to a slap on the wrist because Wilfork didn't try hard enough to not hit Losman.

Last edited:

How was it pretty bad? Turner lowered his head at the same time Wilfork reached out. Turner had a full head of steam and Wilfork was going the other way while engaged with a Charger's lineman?

I'll ask you a question. Is Wilfork supposed to be a mind reader and KNOW that Turner is going to lower his head just at the moment that Wilfork reaches out to try and slow him down even though Wilfork is engaged with a Charger's O-lineman?
My problem's not with the initial grab. In my judgement, he had time to let go but declined to do so.

I don't know, I may be the only Patriots fan to, but I agree with you. Can't say I've liked Wilfork's questionable shots this season. It's no big deal, but it could have been done without.

Hmmm... You've never played the game, have you? Have you ever played ANY contact sport?

As Patsox23 reiterated, it happened very quickly.

The only "questionable" shots have been the Witten play, which is debatable, and the play with Jacobs.

If you think that 2 plays makes the guy dirty then you clearly haven't been watching football very long and you've never played in a contact sport where unintentional things happen all the time.

Hmmm... You've never played the game, have you? Have you ever played ANY contact sport?
Played football for one year in high school, don't pretend I was any good, but I can count and I can see missed opportunities for Wilfork to let go.

As Patsox23 reiterated, it happened very quickly.

The only "questionable" shots have been the Witten play, which is debatable, and the play with Jacobs.

If you think that 2 plays makes the guy dirty then you clearly haven't been watching football very long and you've never played in a contact sport where unintentional things happen all the time.
I don't think Wilfork's dirty, I just haven't liked the few questionable plays. Still glad he's on our team, like I said before, I don't consider it a big deal.

My problem's not with the initial grab. In my judgement, he had time to let go but declined to do so.

REALLY? Do you know how long he "held on" for? How about 4 tenths of a second. You need to remember that Turner was going FULL STEAM the opposite direction as Wilfork. So to say that he had time to let go and declined to do so is amazing. Also, you do realize that the play ended with Turner upfield from Wilfork, right?

REALLY? Do you know how long he "held on" for? How about 4 tenths of a second. You need to remember that Turner was going FULL STEAM the opposite direction as Wilfork. So to say that he had time to let go and declined to do so is amazing. Also, you do realize that the play ended with Turner upfield from Wilfork, right?
Is "4 tenth of a second", being a very specific number and all, something you got from actually measuring, or is that how long you feel he held on for?

Just because it was CALLED intentional, doesn't mean it was.

True enough. But just by you saying that it was UNintentional likewise doesn't mean it was.

So Wilfork is a dirty player...fine, I can live with it. Rodney was labeled a dirty player when he was with San Diego. Guess what? He's still dirty and I love it. Does he get fined from time to time. Yes he does? How does Rodney respond to his fines. He pays them. He doesn't waste time arguing about it.
Wilfork will have to learn to do the same. He is now a target for the NFL.
I don't want him to change any aspect of his game.
If he did, there would be threads by hundreds in this forum labeling him "SOFT", "MADE OF GLASS"...ETC.
These OL and QBs whining about how rough our DL play are PATHETIC, IMO. You want to see rough. Go back about 20 years. QBs used to get their heads smashed, Running Backs and WRs were knocked in the air. OLinemen were crushed. That's when Defenses Physically dominated the league. I saw highlights of some of this stuff once and I was shocked to see how violent the game used to be. These modern day Offenses don't realize how good they have it.

As for Wilfork, he is what he is. I wonder if Goodell plans on fining the rest of the defensive players that were flagged for 15 yard face mask penalties this year? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I really wish people would know what they are talking about.

1) The hit on Losman was not INTENTIONAL. Losman said it wasn't. And if you'd actually watched the game, you'd have seen Brad Butler clip Wilfork across the legs sending him into Losman.

2) There was NO EYE POKE. Wilfork's finger never touched Jacobs. That was from Jacobs himself. Yes, Wilfork pointed his finger at Jacobs and it his Jacobs grill, but there was NO EYE POKE.

3) He shouldn't be on a shorter leash unless the league is doing it to everyone. And, sorry, its not. Especially when the 1st fine was reduced to a slap on the wrist because Wilfork didn't try hard enough to not hit Losman.

1) It may not have been intentional but the man was falling with his elbow further than his head. If he didn't intend to stick his elbow at the QB then why didn't he have his elbow brace his fall, which is more of a natural reaction when falling forward. it just looks suspicious and unfortunately Lossman got hurt for the year and probably ruined a teams hopes for the entire year. The Bills are going to blame their wreck of a season on one play.

2) Whether the tip of the finger made contact with the eye a players hands DOES NOT BELONG IN ANOTHER PERSONS FACEMASK! PERIOD! I played football for 11 years and that is fighting actions in my book. I'm just surprised Jacobs didn't go past words at that point.

3) If he's not on a short leash then why is he getting fined for a common 15 yard facemask penalty. He's sending VW a message that the league is watching him on EVERY play.

So Wilfork is a dirty player...fine, I can live with it. Rodney was labeled a dirty player when he was with San Diego. Guess what? He's still dirty and I love it. Does he get fined from time to time. Yes he does? How does Rodney respond to his fines. He pays them. He doesn't waste time arguing about it.
Wilfork will have to learn to do the same. He is now a target for the NFL.
I don't want him to change any aspect of his game.
If he did, there would be threads by hundreds in this forum labeling him "SOFT", "MADE OF GLASS"...ETC.
These OL and QBs whining about how rough our DL play are PATHETIC, IMO. You want to see rough. Go back about 20 years. QBs used to get their heads smashed, Running Backs and WRs were knocked in the air. OLinemen were crushed. That's when Defenses Physically dominated the league. I saw highlights of some of this stuff once and I was shocked to see how violent the game used to be. These modern day Offenses don't realize how good they have it.

As for Wilfork, he is what he is. I wonder if Goodell plans on fining the rest of the defensive players that were flagged for 15 yard face mask penalties this year? :rolleyes:

That's 100% true but I have to bring up the point that the modern day era of football is much more violent due to the size and speed of players. After every game players are recuperating like they would in a car crash. 20-30 years ago DE's were 220 lbs. You just don't find that much anymore. We're talking about 300 DE's running 4.6 40's and 400lb DT's that are faster than most QB's. The game has just adapted to it's violence. Todays game may look like it's soft but considering the factors I would say it's harder nowadays to play in the NFL then ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft