PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why (not) Jeremy Bloom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
While I can't say it's a universal sentiment, a number of people (including at least one "official" seven-round mock) seem to have Bloom coming to Foxboro soon.

Here's my question: why so much interest, from both teams and fans? Allegedly, every NFL team sent reps for his private workout, which seems kind of odd for a player most people expect to be a day two pick at best.

[Now, don't get me wrong: I have no problem with seeing Bloom in a Flying Elvis helmet this fall. After all, it'd (A) give Tom Brady some much-needed competition in the female fandom department :) , and (B) almost guarantee that this forum gets flooded with drooling posts from semi-literate fans. . . . :bricks: ]

Same reason we hired Bethel, i guess:
Speed Kills.

I don't think Bloom is a Patriots' type guy at all. The Pats like guys who put football above all else. And while participating in the Olymics is a noble thing, it ain't gonna help him be the best football player he can be. Not to mention he could blow a knee on the slopes in the offseason.

I agree with Bucky. BB wants guys that live, eat and sleep football. In Patriot Reign, I think Weiss had an incident with Holloway the TE and Weiss thought the reason he didn't work out was that football was not a big enough prioity in his life.

but yet we signed David Terrel last year. I think in the 6th or 7th round, Bloom could be our Tim Dwight. Punt/KR, 4th WR. It makes sense to me

Boston Boxer said:
but yet we signed David Terrel last year. I think in the 6th or 7th round, Bloom could be our Tim Dwight. Punt/KR, 4th WR. It makes sense to me

I wasn't aware that David Terrell had some other interests he placed ahead or on par with football. Regardless of whether he did or not, David Terrell doesn't exactly bolster your theory.

ctpatsfan77 said:
drooling posts from semi-literate fans. . . . :bricks: ]
Since you addressed me directly :D:

"That yon green boy shall have no sun to ripe
The bloom that promiseth a mighty fruit."

Billy Shakespeare, The Life and Death of King John

Ochmed Jones said:
I agree with Bucky. BB wants guys that live, eat and sleep football. In Patriot Reign, I think Weiss had an incident with Holloway the TE and Weiss thought the reason he didn't work out was that football was not a big enough prioity in his life.
It was a quote about Pioli needing to trust his instincts: He got a wierd feeling about Holloway when he missed practice to do schoolwork...He felt like schoolwork should come after football if you are at that level because "you can always go back and get your degree" it gave him a bad feeling about Holloway's desire but they drafted him anyway...turns out he was right.

bucky said:
....Not to mention he could blow a knee on the slopes in the offseason.

Are you STILL having nightmares
about Lonborg?

ctpatsfan77 said:
While I can't say it's a universal sentiment, a number of people (including at least one "official" seven-round mock) seem to have Bloom coming to Foxboro soon.

Here's my question: why so much interest, from both teams and fans? Allegedly, every NFL team sent reps for his private workout, which seems kind of odd for a player most people expect to be a day two pick at best.

[Now, don't get me wrong: I have no problem with seeing Bloom in a Flying Elvis helmet this fall. After all, it'd (A) give Tom Brady some much-needed competition in the female fandom department :) , and (B) almost guarantee that this forum gets flooded with drooling posts from semi-literate fans. . . . :bricks: ]

Because Bloom has serious Punt Return ability.

Box_O_Rocks said:

He might get cut, but I don't think BB will actually have him beheaded.:eek:

Box_O_Rocks said:

Well, I didn't know that you're semi-literate, BOR ;) , but I was thinking more along the lines of comments like this one (from a random website):

he is jeremy bloom umm in the olympics for USA he is doing free style skiiing dam he is so hot i guess this is the thing that kept me happy this whole week i can go on saying how hot he is but u knoe lol

bucky said:
I wasn't aware that David Terrell had some other interests he placed ahead or on par with football. Regardless of whether he did or not, David Terrell doesn't exactly bolster your theory.

DT certainly did not put forth any effort into getting better as a football player. So that was my point. In you senario, Bloom is at least half interested in football, which is double the interest that DT had. With all over our picks in the draft, i think once we get into the 6th and 7th round, we will be taking the Bloom type guy and seeing if they pan out.

You are wrong about Bloom, as he is a fantastic guy and could certainly make an NFL roster...very low risk pick

ctpatsfan77 said:
Well, I didn't know that you're semi-literate, BOR ;) , but I was thinking more along the lines of comments like this one (from a random website):
Yeh, semi is a bit more then most people would credit me, but I know your generous nature. :D

Well, I didn't know that you're semi-literate, BOR , but I was thinking more along the lines of comments like this one (from a random website):

Quote:
he is jeremy bloom umm in the olympics for USA he is doing free style skiiing dam he is so hot i guess this is the thing that kept me happy this whole week i can go on saying how hot he is but u knoe lol

We should draft Jeremy and his brother Orlando too. Our website would kick ass!

Actually, it would probably serve us right for the cheerleader threads.

Profootballtalk.com had this to say about Bloom today (excepted):

BLOOM BUZZ BUILDING

Although he hasn't played football for two seasons, former Colorado receiver/kick-punt returner Jeremy Bloom seems to be building a buzz as the draft approaches.

Making the rounds this week is a DVD of various Bloom highlights.
The DVD, which we reviewed, begins with footage of the skier smoking Will Allen, Ahman Green, and others in the 100-yard dash during a past CBS Superstars competition. Then, there's footage of Bloom's recent pro day workout, including his 19 reps in the bench, multiple examples of very crisp route running, and some impressive ball skills while receiving punts.

The DVD culminates with clips from Bloom's two-year career with the Buffaloes, which featured a touchdown in his first punt return. The thing that caught our attention was that, when he broke toward the sideline he instinctively switched the ball from his left hand to his right hand. There are guys who have been playing for years in the NFL who still fail to move the ball to the outside arm.

Still, the knock on Bloom is that he has played only two years of college ball...This naturally causes some of the old-school scouts to question whether Bloom is fully committed to football.

Some folks (including us) have bashed his stats. But, as it turns out, his numbers compare very favorably to the first two years of Sinorice Moss's career. In 2002, Moss had three catches for 30 yards and no touchdowns. In 2002, Bloom had two catches for 102 yards and one touchdown.

In 2003, Moss had eight receptions for 111 yards and no touchdowns. In 2003, Bloom had 22 catches for 356 yards and one score.

In his two final seasons at Miami, Moss didn't generate dominant statistics, with 20 receptions in 2004 and 37 catches in 2005. Moss averaged less than 500 yards receiving in those two years.

And while Moss has the pedigree, Sinorice doesn't have much experience at all in the return game. How, then, is a guy didn't do it in college presumed by everyone to be a natural at it in the NFL?

We're also not suggesting that Bloom will or should be drafted at or about the same time Moss comes off of the board. But it's looking to us like Bloom will most likely be targeted by someone in the back half of round three.

Hell, at this point we don't rule out Bloom being taken at the bottom of round two. And we can think of at least one franchise holding a pick in that ballpark that needs a return man who can be groomed into a pass-catcher.

dryheat44 said:
Profootballtalk.com had this to say about Bloom today (excepted):

BLOOM BUZZ BUILDING

But it's looking to us like Bloom will most likely be targeted by someone in the back half of round three.

Hell, at this point we don't rule out Bloom being taken at the bottom of round two. And we can think of at least one franchise holding a pick in that ballpark that needs a return man who can be groomed into a pass-catcher.

Dwightning? What Dwightning? :D

jczxohn1 said:
He might get cut, but I don't think BB will actually have him beheaded.:eek:
Sorry to be slow on the uptake, it was horribly insensitive of me to post an excerpt from The Life and Death of King Jczxohn! :(

I should read the whole thing some day and find out what really happened at Runnymeade.

ctpatsfan77 said:
Dwightning? What Dwightning? :D
I wanted to read that our return game was blossoming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News