PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn't Sheldon Richardson in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real answer? He has $$...if it were me..i would be in the hole

I don't know of any place that's a crime. But there probably are some. Where it is a crime is usually not based around having the weapon itself, but on its storage method in the vehicle and whether it's loaded. I don't know of any laws that are specific to semi-automatic handguns since outside of revolvers essentially all handguns are semi-automatic. So for this specific case- In Missouri, as far as I know has no laws against carrying a loaded weapon in your car not visible (which doesn't necessarily mean concealed) with no special permits as long as you are not a felon, or otherwise restricted from owning a gun.

Speaking of places I've lived in the last 15 years (4 different states), none of them consider it a crime to have it not visible and loaded in the vehicle with no special permits. Maybe it's a cultural thing or something but I know several people who have loaded guns in their cars and it's not a big deal. When I have gotten pulled over I told them I had a gun, they checked it, checked that I wasn't a felon and moved along (of course they gave me the speeding ticket I was pulled over for). But that's it.

Obviously, there are different laws for different states and yes--you're right that it's much more widely accepted, particularly out in the (wild, wild) west, but I'm speaking purely on a "was the gun actually registered in his name" matter? Judging by the state laws of Missouri, he either didn't need such credentials, or he had already obtained them. I'm guessing it's the former.

From the sound of your post, it came across as though you were claiming that you didn't need to have the weapon properly registered or have a permit to own it, and that any idiot could simply choose to ride around with a loaded handgun under their seat. That is obviously not the case. Many places require the weapon to be issued in someone's name, with something of a background check needing to be passed to get the weapon registered. As you mentioned, there are laws in some areas which require the clip/ammo to be securely locked up in one area of the vehicle, while the unloaded weapon is secured in another area.

Since the DA from the show-me state didn't see anything at all wrong with it, I'm guessing that they are somewhat lax on their handgun laws. Either way, Richardson should at least be required to give more drug tests from the NFL, but he likely would just claim that it was his friend's weed, and that he was an innocent bystander.

Last edited:
People.. Lets remember that it took the league a YEAR to impose the penalties on Blount and Bell for their marijuana mishap.

Fair point DaBruinz, although I think there is a pretty big difference in your comparative cases. Both Bell and Blount were charged for possessing marijuana within minutes of their arrest, with Bell picking up a DUI charge to boot. The law charged them with criminal activity, so the NFL had no choice but to react with suspensions.

In the case of Sheldon Richardson, he was never charged by the police outside of a traffic ticket, as they claimed that there 1) were no drugs found, 2) the weapon under the seat was legal, and 3) there was not sufficient proof of child endangerment. Since there was never any arrest or charge aside from the traffic citation, the NFL is on much shakier ground when attempting to dish out punishment. At the end of the day, you're right--they may end up reviewing it down the road and give him a game punishment for reckless driving, or acting irresponsibly or something of that nature. I wouldn't hold my breath, but he should get something even if it's only 1 game.

Last edited:
IIRC the question was asked at a league meeting in AZ and was, (paraphrasing) "Do you keep in touch with Gronk during the offseason?" This was 2013ish...

Then they asked about Welker, etc.

I ask others to confirm for sure..
He was especially cranky on this day. Painful to watch but this is classic belichick. I can't remember the exact phrase but a reporter asked him something to the effect of whether he enjoys these offseason league meetings. To which belichick simply responded "no".

Obviously, there are different laws for different states and yes--you're right that it's much more widely accepted, particularly out in the (wild, wild) west, but I'm speaking purely on a "was the gun actually registered in his name" matter? Judging by the state laws of Missouri, he either didn't need such credentials, or he had already obtained them. I'm guessing it's the former.

From the sound of your post, it came across as though you were claiming that you didn't need to have the weapon properly registered or have a permit to own it, and that any idiot could simply choose to ride around with a loaded handgun under their seat. That is obviously not the case. Many places require the weapon to be issued in someone's name, with something of a background check needing to be passed to get the weapon registered. As you mentioned, there are laws in some areas which require the clip/ammo to be securely locked up in one area of the vehicle, while the unloaded weapon is secured in another area.

Since the DA from the show-me state didn't see anything at all wrong with it, I'm guessing that they are somewhat lax on their handgun laws. Either way, Richardson should at least be required to give more drug tests from the NFL, but he likely would just claim that it was his friend's weed, and that he was an innocent bystander.

Missouri has virtually no laws against it and I guess you can reach under your seat for the gun as the police approach your car and it's only resisting arrest unless you take full aim at one of the officers.

...maybe it was the twelve year old's pot.

Divine retibution;);) when he hurt his wrist??? What goes around, comes around.

People.. Lets remember that it took the league a YEAR to impose the penalties on Blount and Bell for their marijuana mishap.

Also, the league has a pending court issue with Brady that is sucking up all the legal time of their lawyers.. Do you really expect them to have time to go to court over another suspension?

Thats convenient for the Jets since they get to take advantage of Richardson's services this year and won't resign him next year.. so some other team will have to eat his suspension

#integrity

I don't know of any place that's a crime. But there probably are some. Where it is a crime is usually not based around having the weapon itself, but on its storage method in the vehicle and whether it's loaded. I don't know of any laws that are specific to semi-automatic handguns since outside of revolvers essentially all handguns are semi-automatic. So for this specific case- In Missouri, as far as I know has no laws against carrying a loaded weapon in your car not visible (which doesn't necessarily mean concealed) with no special permits as long as you are not a felon, or otherwise restricted from owning a gun.

Speaking of places I've lived in the last 15 years (4 different states), none of them consider it a crime to have it not visible and loaded in the vehicle with no special permits. Maybe it's a cultural thing or something but I know several people who have loaded guns in their cars and it's not a big deal. When I have gotten pulled over I told them I had a gun, they checked it, checked that I wasn't a felon and moved along (of course they gave me the speeding ticket I was pulled over for). But that's it.

I'm sure it does, and they may have done that. But if they question is why wasn't he suspended or arrested for that, the answer is because he wasn't charged with anything related.

To me the most concerning issue is that he had a 12 year old in the back while going 140.

Missouri isn't NY/NJ.
Furthermore in many states 30mph over the stated speed limit is a felony stop.

Missouri isn't NY/NJ.
Furthermore in many states 30mph over the stated speed limit is a felony stop.
He was in Missouri. And he's facing up to a year in jail for the charges.

The Seahawks should make a trade offer for him so he can join their little Nascar team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back