PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be this off-season's Dillon/Rodney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Every year it seems that BB/Pioli target a veteran player in FA who hasn't won much and comes relatively cheap. This year it didn't work out so well with Starks - who HAD won in Baltimore, true, but was languishing in AZ - but overally I think it's a terrific strategy. Just wondering who you guys think might fall into that category, especially productive-ish vets on teams like SF or Houston or GB. Thoughts?

Eric Moulds

The Gr8est said:
Eric Moulds
You really think? That'd be kinda strange to see him as a Pat.

No chance on Moulds. We finally get Mad Mike Maslowski.

How about this thought. Spend the biggest money on Reggie Wayne or Edgerrin James. The Patriots could play the same game as the Yankees did a couple of weeks ago. They make themselves stronger while hurting a key opponent. Think of it this way:

If it is Reggie Wayne then:They let David Givens walk, Christian Fauria walk, and Bethel Johnson has been a bust. The receiving corps than becomes:

WR Deion Branch, Reggie Wayne, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Troy Brown
TE Watson, Graham, Mid-Round Draft Pick

If it is Edgerrin James then: They release Corey Dillon, and do some other financial work.

Meghay said:
If it is Edgerrin James then: They release Corey Dillon, and do some other financial work.

We just re uped Dillon. Wouldn't it break the bank to release him at this point? I do agree though, something needs to be done with him after the way this season went.

It's gotta be a vet who has already "cashed in" on free agency and isn't looking to break the bank with his 1st FA contract. That probably eliminates Wayne and Edge.

My guess is Moulds. He's already made his millions and is badly wanting to win a Lombardi before he hangs em up. He knows the Pats and what they are about and that a strong desire to win is the most important ingredient they look for in a player. Moulds isn't all about money at this stage of his career. He's been written off by many people and is itching to prove them wrong I'm sure. Just like the Pats like them.

It's a 5.4 mil. cap hit to release Dillon. I don't think so.

pats1 said:
It's a 5.4 mil. cap hit to release Dillon. I don't think so.
That sucks. He better work his ass off this offseason and be amazing again.

drew4008 said:
That sucks. He better work his ass off this offseason and be amazing again.

Again, it wasn't as much his fault. The offensive line was horrible, and I've seen the tape to back it up. It's also tough to go through the 2 or 3 injuries he had this season.

Meghay said:
How about this thought. Spend the biggest money on Reggie Wayne or Edgerrin James. The Patriots could play the same game as the Yankees did a couple of weeks ago. They make themselves stronger while hurting a key opponent. Think of it this way:

If it is Reggie Wayne then:They let David Givens walk, Christian Fauria walk, and Bethel Johnson has been a bust. The receiving corps than becomes:

WR Deion Branch, Reggie Wayne, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight, Troy Brown
TE Watson, Graham, Mid-Round Draft Pick

If the Pats sign Reggie Wayne and let David Givens walk, wouldn't the Colts just turn around and sign David Givens for cheaper than what we sign Reggie Wayne? IMO I'd rather spend less and keep Givens than break the bank on Reggie Wayne.

Am I the only one who missed Dillon's "poor" play this season? I felt when he was healthy he was still one of the top RBs in the league. Plus our OL wasn't what it has been in the last few years. Moulds would be a great FA pickup for us. I don't know at what positions I would want to replace with an older FA. Maybe an OG? I wouldn't want a veteran CB not named Ty Law. Our starting lineup looks pretty much set except for WR, and with all our draftpicks our needs can be filled that way. Plus we need the younger players because a lot of our guys are getting up there in age.

Maybe we can sign a colt O-lineman or two and screw the colts :D

Corey Dillon will be fine for another year. I agree with those questioning the knee-jerkers. The guy was nicked up - because he was old? Maybe, but by no means definitely. I actually thought he ran real tough against Denver. The guy merits at LEAST another year. That's not to say we shouldn't draft his replacement this year - I believe we should - but it's a bit impatient to cut him loose, and cap-wise, prohibitive.

julian peterson

lets vrabel stay inside and gives us an olb corp of willie, rosie, peterson

bb has always liked him

Jerry Azumah CB Chicago Bears

Givens. Givens. Givens. Resign Givens. This guy is tough. He's our guy that goes over the middle. Wayne can't take hit, he doesn't go over the middle. Every great team needs a reciever like Givens.

how bout this

azumah cb
makes our cbs: samuel, gay, hobbs, azumah

peterson olb
makes our ilbs: bru, vrabel, draftee, claridge
makes our olbs: willie, rosie, peterson

trade for dom davis rb houston

get eric moulds wr
draft martin nance wr
wrs: branch, moulds, nance, davis

patsfan55 said:
how bout this

azumah cb
makes our cbs: samuel, gay, hobbs, azumah

peterson olb
makes our ilbs: bru, vrabel, draftee, claridge
makes our olbs: willie, rosie, peterson

trade for dom davis rb houston

get eric moulds wr
draft martin nance wr
wrs: branch, moulds, nance, davis

Man, that would be a sick team. Almost too much talent. Can we fit all of that under the cap ? If so, I say Patsfan55 should be our GM !! Peterson & Rosie from the outside ??, Other QB's would piss their pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore