Punt and kickoff...any guesses.

Punt: Welker
Kickoff: Hobbs

Punt: Welker, Faulk, T. Brown, C. Jackson
Kick: Hobbs, Welker, Faulk, Andrews, Maroney

Welker and maybe Andrews if he makes the team

Punt:
Welker primary, Faulk on occasion.
Often Brown, if he's not on PUP, is used in a situational PR role, when they expect a fair catch. The team has a lot of confidence that Brown can see the entire field, get under the punt, and make the right decision. Over the past two years, you have seen Brown take the majority of the punts when the opponent is around the 50 yard line or closer.

Kick-off:
I think Hobbs is just too high risk, as is Maroney.
I hope Willie Andrews can win the job. With Hobbs, he is coming off racing up and down the field on defense, and right now is a huge risk as our only real starting-quality corner. With Maroney, he is susceptible to straight-on blows, given his start-stop running style, and is about to come out on offense. Both are more explosive than Andrews, but so much higher risk. I think the lowest risk combo is Andrews and Faulk. Faulk is an excellent blocker with some KR ability as well.

For the Tampa game: Gemara Williams, Bam Childress, C.J. Jones, and Willie Andrews will probably all see kick returns - maybe Sammy Morris and Wes Welker will get a chance too, though I wouldn't use them or Hobbs and Maroney. I searched through the various media and Mrs. B camp blogs, and only Bam, Welker, and Faulk were returning punts according to those reports - maybe Troy's return isn't in as much doubt as we might think.

Punt: Brown

Kickoff: Maroney

starting punt and kick Welker

Back up Kick returner Hobbs Punt Faulk With Troy in red zone

Punt: Welker will get the lion's share... Brown is the next option

Kickoff: Anybody but Maroney or Hobbs because of injury risk... Welker will probably be used here too... Paddy Pass returned kicks for how many years? Backup RB's should figure in on ST so I'm predicting Sammy Morris will be the other KR

Seeing Hobbs return KOs in the AFCC was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, as the only lead-pipe lock at CB, the risk outweighs the reward. But if, in my perfect world, Wilson and Samuel are our starting CBs, then Hobbs could be available for KO duty. Otherwise, Welker and Faulk seem to be the only regular-season candidates for KR and PR who also have both experience and success.

I would use Willie Andrews and Bam Childress as much as possible during the pre-season games. Willie's place on the 53 seems relatively safe, but being the primary K/PR (and 6th CB?) could be Bam's ticket.

PRE-SEASON
No starters

SEASON
Punt - Welker (Faulk as backup)
Kicks - Hobbs, Maroney
(sure it would be great for one of ST backups, but that isn't likely)

We should try Morris, at least as a backup.

Perhaps some could post our 2006 returners (carries, yardage, average)

I don't think Hobbs or Maroney will run back KOs unless the Pats are down late in a game. Too risky. Look for Faulk to take that role. If he gets injured, the Pats always have Morris to back him up as 3rd down back.

Welker will be the general PR except when the Pats expect to fair catch it inside the 20, then it will be Brown (better hands).

I'm not quiite sure why Faulk is the golden boy if sure hands is what is required. Certainly we don't want kickoffs muffed. Alos, I don't think Faulk has run a kickoff back for over 20 yards in years. Also, we is certainly prone to injuries. The patriots understand the importance of kickoff returns. We do not hesitate to use starters on special teams. This is yet another reason to have a 5th running back on the team

I don't think Hobbs or Maroney will run back KOs unless the Pats are down late in a game. Too risky. Look for Faulk to take that role. If he gets injured, the Pats always have Morris to back him up as 3rd down back.

Welker will be the general PR except when the Pats expect to fair catch it inside the 20, then it will be Brown (better hands).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back