PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which prospects do you think should be avoided at all costs?

Username

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
And why?

For me it's Kyle Trask. I think he's a slow processor with a weak arm, struggles to improvise and can be erratic with regards accuracy and decision making. I would not go near him before the 6th round.

I'd also be very wary of picking Jaelen Phillips, despite him being very talented. Any player who has retired in college due to concern over concussions and then unretired has a massive red flag waving frantically over his head. The dude is a borderline 1st, but it would be a seriously risky roll of the dice, even if he has the talent.

I agree on Trask, I would add Fields and Lance to that list.

Fields lost his job in Georgia to Eason who is now a thrid string QB. Lance has played 11 games in his career, in those games he had a bunch of rush attempts. No way you draft a non FBC QB, with a thin resume in the top ten!

Smith scares me, he might weigh 150 lbs, his talent is undeniable, just worried if he withstand NFL DBs hitting him. Still if he is still there at 15, I think you have to take him.

Smith is very light. You have to wonder if he can withstand nfl hits at that size. He refused to get weighed at the senior bowl.

Moore of ole miss is shorter but thicker. While I doubt smith is available by 15, I really think we can get Moore in the second round. He is such a dynamic talent.

Fields and Lance for me. Lance is a guy who, if he was available in the 3rd round, I’d be okay with rolling the dice on. Top 10? No way. Not nearly enough film to judge the kid on.

I agree on Trask, I would add Fields and Lance to that list.

Fields lost his job in Georgia to Eason who is now a thrid string QB. Lance has played 11 games in his career, in those games he had a bunch of rush attempts. No way you draft a non FBC QB, with a thin resume in the top ten!
Wasn't it to Fromm or am i confusing something right now early in the morning before my first coffee?
Smith scares me, he might weigh 150 lbs, his talent is undeniable, just worried if he withstand NFL DBs hitting him. Still if he is still there at 15, I think you have to take him.

I think I'd have to go with Sage Surratt if i had to choose one. Reports are saying he struggles with separation, we already have one WR who is more suited for contested catches. He has good Hands and physicality, can win with that but lacks speed supposedly at estimated 4.6 on his 40 yard dash and quickness to get separation.

Wasn't it to Fromm or am i confusing something right now early in the morning before my first coffee?
You're right. Eason was gone by then I believe but it was Fromm.

Also, how did that work out? Did it really take a genius to see Fields that was the better QB?

You're right. Eason was gone by then I believe but it was Fromm.

Also, how did that work out? Did it really take a genius to see Fields that was the better QB?
I have no idea how fromm could beat out Fields tbh, like Fields a lot more. I did hope last year that we not select fromm later on cause i did not like him that much for a starting potential.

I have no idea how fromm could beat out Fields tbh, like Fields a lot more. I did hope last year that we not select fromm later on cause i did not like him that much for a starting potential.
Kirby Smart. Excellent recruiter. Mixed bag as an actual coach.

Who knows what happened. Fields was a baby (age) and Smart wants to be Saban so bad he probably thought Fromm gave him the best shot to win at that moment.
Kirby Smart. Excellent recruiter. Mixed bag as an actual coach.
He has Saban dolls somewhere. Dude is obsessed with beating him, being the "new" Saban from what I heard. There all maniacs though.

I'm very wary of Dylan Moses too.

Folk seem pretty high on him because of his physical gifts. And physically, the dude is pretty impressive. He has all the tools. But he's just not there mentally. He's slow to diagnose and process, he's indecisive in coverage and a liability when it comes to play action. And he's incredibly grabby. It baffles me that someone could have played as many snaps as he has and still instinctively reach out and grab receivers shirts as they run their routes. I guess it's to do with his indecisiveness?

Anyway, huge potential both ways. As a starter or a bust.

I'm very wary of Dylan Moses too.

Folk seem pretty high on him because of his physical gifts. And physically, the dude is pretty impressive. He has all the tools. But he's just not there mentally. He's slow to diagnose and process, he's indecisive in coverage and a liability when it comes to play action. And he's incredibly grabby. It baffles me that someone could have played as many snaps as he has and still instinctively reach out and grab receivers shirts as they run their routes. I guess it's to do with his indecisiveness?

Anyway, huge potential both ways. As a starter or a bust.
He hasn't been right physically in some time now. He was really poor this year, esp in coverage.

Plus this LB class is sweet. Collins looks like a prototype Seahawk (Wright, Wagner vibes)

Cox has been one of the best coverage backers over the last few years.

Werner, Browning, JOK, Thompson

Eason beat Fields out and then Fromm beat out Eason when Eason got hurt
I could be wrong but I thought Eason transfered the year before or Fields first year there?

Eason got hurt in 2017, left in 2018 when Fields first got there?

Speaking of Fields and Fromm, but unrelated, whatever happened to that other QB from the first season of QB1? The smug, blond rich kid from Vegas, I've forgotten his name? I think he was the number 1 recruit, but Jake Fromm was so much more likeable, hard working and committed.

Some of the big slow guys on the OL and DL scare me. I don't want to see another Vincent Valentine.

That being said, all the scouts had Onwenu down as a big slow guy last year.

So--in the end, I don't know.

The only position I feel I have a good eye for after almost 5 decades of watching is QB. I watched a lot of college ball and I really dont know what the Pro Scouts are looking for.

I like Fields a lot. Better than Wilson.

But I saw Marino play practically every game when he was at Pitt and I wanted the Patriots to draft him so badly. We picked Eason??!?! I saw Favre light up the Senior Bowl and the guy was incredibly talented, easy to see. Same with Rodgers. As for Brady all he did was make the plays to beat my Nittany Lions.

In all the years I've banged the table on a top QB, I think I've only been wrong on Sam Bradford. I thought he was going to be fantastic.

Just looked back on 1983 draft, the guys who DIDN'T make the HOF were great players.

Curt Warner, Chris Hinton, Terry Kinard, Mike Pitts, Willie Gault, Joey Browner, Gill Byrd, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken O'Brien, Don Mosebar, hell the 32nd pick was Henry Ellard.

Never mind the 7 Hall of Famers.

You couldn't miss in that draft. Unless you were the Lions drafting a fullback.

He hasn't been right physically in some time now. He was really poor this year, esp in coverage

I don’t know if I would say it exactly like that.

Moses was exceptional on the weak side, but saban moved him to the strong side thus year and he really struggled early, but got better as the season went on.

in my mind, if some team drafts him and moves him to the weak side, they could have the next Leonard on their hands.

I don’t know if I would say it exactly like that.

Moses was exceptional on the weak side, but saban moved him to the strong side thus year and he really struggled early, but got better as the season went on.

in my mind, if some team drafts him and moves him to the weak side, they could have the next Leonard on their hands.
He was lost in coverage and didn't look the same physically. That's really not a secret. I know he switched positions but that's not that important compared to how he looked. He wasn't the same player. Taking on, giving out contact. Route recognition or just keeping up with guys. Hes a day 3 guy for me. Especially in a class with guys who excel in coverage.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back